Talk

Advanced search

To look forward to DH going away for a few days

(13 Posts)
Flyonthewindscreen Tue 05-Jul-11 17:33:17

Back at the beginning of the year DH asked if I minded if he went away on a 4 night trip involving going up mountains (his main interest). I said "Fine, fill your boots" but actually I was thinking "Result grin". For background we are happily married, DH often works from home and spends plenty of time with me and the DC. He rarely goes out in the evening as is far more doing an outdoors stuff during the day sort of guy in his spare time so it is unusual for me to have nights home alone.

I have made plans for a girls night in (just me and a couple of friends, nothing wild), meeting up with friends at weekend who are my friends rather than family friends and lots of lovely feeding the kids and then eating pasta with a wine once they are in bed with my choice of telly or MN.

So in the last few days DH has been looking at the weather forecasts and saying it doesn't look good, he might cancel. I think if I had said "oh, it would be lovely if you stayed at home instead" he def would have done. Instead, horrified, I talked him into going saying he would only be moping around wishing he had gone (possibly true), it was a good time to go as the school holidays/our family holiday are coming up so we would have lots of time all together then (true) and that I had plans that didn't involve him so he would be on his own a fair bit anyway (true).

He is going tomorrow with proviso that he might come back early. But there is an atmosphere and his feelings are hurt. AIBU to have been looking forward to some time on my own? and AIBU to have found it terribly annoying when DH was thinking of cancelling at last minute?

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 05-Jul-11 17:39:22

No, No and No. My DH is away at the moment. He has gone scuba diving in Thailand for two weeks. He goes every year around this time and catches up with friends too.
Me and DD do what we want. I am not implying that he ever stops us, but we eat crap food and nobby about all day.
Today I am doubly blessed. She is on a suprise sleepover with her friend.

Jbck Tue 05-Jul-11 17:49:55

Nope - I love when DH is a way for a few days. I miss him too but I enjoy the time to myself in the evenings and the 'girls' time during the day with DDs.

Enjoy!

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 05-Jul-11 17:52:35

Yanbu absent makes the heart grow fonder.

Hope you have a fun weekend yourself

FriskyMare Tue 05-Jul-11 17:56:07

Love having the bed all to myself, DH away on a course for two nights, home for 3 then away cycling for 3 nights. Bliss!

ToriaPumpkin Tue 05-Jul-11 17:59:53

YANBU.

My OH is buggering off to the Alps (also to walk up and climb things) on Thursday for nearly two weeks and I'm ecstatic. This is mainly helped by the fact he currently has a cold and hayfever and is like a perpetually sniffing snot bucket and I can't wait for the silence, but also I like being able to eat what I want, when I want (ie not when he gets back from whatever he's been climbing) and watch what I want on the TV/all the films he doesn't want to watch with me.

I'll miss him, of course I will. I love him, we've lived together for over seven yers now, and I'm pregnant with DC1 so will miss telling him random things about the pregnancy, but it's only two weeks, we'll talk while he's away and he'll soon enough be back to snore in my ear, complain about how much veg I've served with dinner and which film I want to watch grin

FriskyMare Tue 05-Jul-11 18:04:38

ToriaPumpkin - get your DH to wave to my DH cycling in the alps (french) as part of the Tour de France (for over enthusiastic amateurs) grin

Squitten Tue 05-Jul-11 18:12:52

YANBU!

DH went away for a long weekend with his Dad in the spring - and took our 2yr old with him. I stayed at home with our newborn because I had a bridesmaid fitting to attend and it was the best weekend. I saw my friends, took bubs to the cinema, and just luxuriated in a clean, quiet home every evening.

It's normal to crave a bit of solitude and freedom from the norm!

LeQueen Tue 05-Jul-11 18:20:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeerTricksPotter Tue 05-Jul-11 18:25:33

Tchootnika Tue 05-Jul-11 18:28:38

grin
In case you're still in any doubt: YADDDNBU...
Nothing remotely wrong with appreciating (looking forward to) a lovely little breather - even from loveliest DPs ever.
smile and lovely wine to it!

Flyonthewindscreen Tue 05-Jul-11 18:29:08

Thanks for replies - I was thinking maybe I should have encouraged him to not to go if he didn't fancy it but honestly my acting skills were just not up to it grin

LeQueen Tue 05-Jul-11 18:46:06

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now