Talk

Advanced search

to go in a big fat huff because somebody told me i look old for my age?

(20 Posts)
maxbradbury Tue 05-Jul-11 16:15:20

Ok im 26 and have been with my dp since a was 18. We have a 4 and 6 year old together.
Anyway new guy started at work a month ago and i was talking to a colleague
who asked me my age - i said 26, New guy turns round and says 'Oh my god, really ? 26 you really must of had a hard hard life i thought you were around 34!
I know i probably am, over-reacting but i am really pissed off! I do look after myself hair/nails / make up etc and i am slim-ish . But whats the fuckin point ! I'm not going to bother anymore and have an extra half hour in bed instead.
rant over. >goes to research botox on internet>

Euphemia Tue 05-Jul-11 16:19:24

What a rude bugger! Many Mnetters advise saying something like "That was very rude! Did you mean to be so rude?" then see what he says.

BootyMum Tue 05-Jul-11 16:30:55

Wow, did he really say that? How rude!

I have read here on MN that the perfect retort to this kind of comment is to say something along the lines of "Oh dear, did you really mean to be so rude?" basically call them on their unpleasantness instead of leaving you humiliated and feeling that you want to scurry under the nearest rock.

I wish I could have thought quick enough to respond with this in a scathing tone of voice when I was recently embarrassed by a colleague. I hadn't seen the woman for a number of years [we used to work together but then I moved to a different department on a new site]. Since we last met I have had two DS and am.. ahem... a little more rotund than I used to be.
This woman looked at me aghast and her first words to me [in front of a crowd of people] were "I don't mean to be rude but you have put on a lot of weight. I almost didn't recognise you!" I was left reeling and bleated something about having had two babies... I wish I had told her she was actually being rude and why exactly was she being so?

OP YANBU - the new bloke is an uncouth, graceless, twat. Pity him. What a way to win friends and influence people in a new job!

He was probably trying to humiliate you as a cover for his own feelings of inadequacy and low self esteem.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 05-Jul-11 16:35:06

He's a rude tosser. Ignore and move on.

TrillianAstra Tue 05-Jul-11 16:36:16

Wow, how rude!

I can see how with a 4 and 6 yr old someone might assume you were more than 26 but that was really nasty.

clit Tue 05-Jul-11 16:46:59

Blimey, that is SO fucking rude. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though...

....a few weeks into a new job a male colleague said, in front of the whole office, 'clit, does your arse look big in those trousers' hmm

Now, at the time I of course withered and said jack shit in response to this very rude comment.

Had I a quicker wit I'd have said 'No, my arse looks damn gorgeous, but your willy don't half look small in those trousers!'

Ho hum.

JanMorrow Tue 05-Jul-11 18:14:28

that's just rude! I hope you told him so.

whackamole Tue 05-Jul-11 19:58:37

I was asked to take part in a survey at the station, it was only when I said I was 28 the woman told me it was for women aged 35-40. I was mortified. Especially as I thought I looked pretty damn good that day.

So I feel your pain. He was a rude arsehole.

I was asked to take part in a survey at the station, it was only when I said I was 28 the woman told me it was for women aged 35-40. I was mortified. Especially as I thought I looked pretty damn good that day.

catgirl1976 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:07:31

God thats rude. Console yourself with the thought that someone so unpleasant is likely to die alone being eaten by alsations whilst you have a lovely family and a dh - and I am sure look lovely.

HelloKlitty Tue 05-Jul-11 20:08:57

I BET he fancies you! Its the adult male equivelent of pigtail pulling!

Sidge Tue 05-Jul-11 20:13:03

Ah don't take it too personally.

Remember that via the media we are bombarded with images of 14 year olds advertising anti-ageing moisturisers, 55 year olds looking like 25 year olds thanks to Botox and plastic surgery, and 65 year olds having babies.

It's hardly surprising that your average bloke-on-the-street has no idea what a "normal" woman looks like.

(But he was rude in what he said, you may want to print off some info for him about tact and diplomacy...)

catgirl1976 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:13:11

Have to say him fancying you could well be a point

joric Tue 05-Jul-11 20:45:00

I actually feel embarrassed when asked my age as I look a bit
haggard old for my age... I sometimes lie pretend I'm older and then bask in the compliments when they look surprised and say I look younger !!! grin

Nowtspecial Tue 05-Jul-11 20:45:35

If he's a northerner that there's flirting.

joric Tue 05-Jul-11 20:51:33

Northerner- love 'that there's flirting' !!! Men are so complicated!! grin !!!

theinet Tue 05-Jul-11 22:37:06

just laugh at those making idiot comments and move on.
many people say such ridiculous things sometimes, and have no idea how to judge someone's age.

hmc Tue 05-Jul-11 22:41:04

Bloody hell - I'd have decked him and asked questions later!

maxbradbury Tue 05-Jul-11 22:42:30

thanks ladies, you have cheered me up and gave me a good giggle! I will however get my own back on this twat! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now