Talk

Advanced search

Buggy argument!

(17 Posts)
questforanswers Tue 05-Jul-11 16:10:26

My partner wants to buy the same travel system that he bought with his ex for his daughter. I feel a bit like I'm re-living his old life and want something different!!
AIBU?

oohjarWhatsit Tue 05-Jul-11 16:13:28

if this is all you have to worry over, you are a very lucky lady

TrillianAstra Tue 05-Jul-11 16:13:40

If you want a different buggy just because his ex has one (and not because a different one is better or more convenient or fits better in your car or is a nicer colour) than YABU. Presumably he knows how to work this type and thinks it is well-designed.

charliejosh Tue 05-Jul-11 16:14:55

YANBU - I would feel the same.

DP asked me for my opinion between 2 shirts the other day and when I pointed to one, his response was that his ex always preferred the other. ARGH!

LaWeasel Tue 05-Jul-11 16:14:56

What was it?

I can imagine he just wants something familiar, however the tech moves on pretty quickly and there's a lot of great new pushchairs/prams around so I would definately not be happy with not even looking at anything else.

I don't drive so am hugely picky re pushchairs though, it's me that has to push it around all day!

Disasterpiece Tue 05-Jul-11 16:15:29

Depends what it is. What is it?

If you would prefer a cheaper more suitable one then yanbu.

trixie123 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:16:12

was it a good buggy? Does it do everything you want it to and is it a good price? If yes, not sure I see the problem - having said that, there is a not a lot of difference between (say) the bugaboo chameleon and the icandy apple / cherry (apart from the price) so maybe you could get something similar enough that he feels he knows what he is doing but different enough for you. Bear in mind though that this is going to come up a lot. He has experience of parenting so he is inevitably going to say "last time we did / got / etc. You need to work out how you will deal with this or it could be a recurring issue.

Yeni Tue 05-Jul-11 16:23:14

Why does he want that particular model? There have been lots of new buggies coming onto the market over the last few years so unless his daughter is very young any research he did at the time is likely to be out of date. Who is going to be the main carer while your child is in the buggy?

questforanswers Tue 05-Jul-11 16:59:23

blush having just read that back to myself I realise how pathetic I'm being!! I think that, as this is his second time but my first, it felt like he's not as enchanted as me (bloody hormones!!!) when actually he's just being practical. I'm still not buying it tho hahaha!!
And yes, that really is all I have to worry about with him, so I am very lucky!

MassagesDeclinedByNetmums Tue 05-Jul-11 17:00:12

Will his ex let you have hers for free? wink

LaWeasel Tue 05-Jul-11 17:02:08

Go on tell us what it is?

I tend to think traditional travel systems are a bit heavy and dated anyway...

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 05-Jul-11 17:05:57

Yanbu I didn't get to do buggy shopping on my 1st as dh had a brand new one, so it would of been a waste of money.

However if you have to buy the buggy, it got to be something you both like and what is practical

hugeleyoutnumbered Tue 05-Jul-11 17:10:42

YANBU, just go shopping without him but be sure to use his card wink

BumWiper Tue 05-Jul-11 18:25:47

Go on,what type is it?

fedupofnamechanging Tue 05-Jul-11 18:55:56

I think that choosing the buggy is something new mums like to do. Tell your DH that he's being very insensitive in trying to replicate the experience he had with his ex and trying to deprive you of something you'd like to do for yourself.

Personally I think choosing the pram is something mums do rather than dads as it's usually the mum who spends more time pushing it.

If he fails to understand, just ignore him and buy what you want.

ZombiePlan Tue 05-Jul-11 19:52:33

He needs to let you carve your own path. While it might be easier for him if parenting this child is done in exactly the same way as his first, it'll be soul-destroying for you to constantly hear "me and my ex did it this way". Besides, why shouldn't you get to have the fun of picking out baby stuff just like his ex did? grin

biddysmama Wed 06-Jul-11 08:03:14

yanbu, travel systems are horrible and studies have shown that sitting in a car seat isnt good for babies backs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now