Talk

Advanced search

to be worried about this? What would you do?

(15 Posts)
MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 15:14:48

I have recently separated from my ex and claimed HB. A couple of weeks ago, a lady from some official organization (didn't get the name, but I think it's the council) called me to ask questions about my daughter, said I should take her for medical revision or something like that (again, I didn't understand it very well, English is not my first language). She said she would send me a letter with the details of the appointment, but I didn't get it and so I didn't go. Today she called again (from a blocked number) saying she would come to my house tomorrow (?!) and asking me if it was OK to bring a student with her. Does anybody know what this is all about? Should I be worried?

SarahStratton Tue 05-Jul-11 15:17:55

How old is your DD? Could it be the Health Visitor?

Lucyinthepie Tue 05-Jul-11 15:18:06

You should have taken a contact number and her name. We can't really guess for you on this. Did you say she could bring the student?
I would probably just be out, then when she rings again take proper information from her.

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 15:20:25

Just to clarify, English is not my first language but I can usually express myself and understand others well (however, this woman had a strong accent).

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 15:21:03

My daughter is 3. She is registered with a GP and goes to private nursery.

Adagoo Tue 05-Jul-11 15:21:56

sounds like a health visitor? How old is your DD?

Adagoo Tue 05-Jul-11 15:24:01

did she have a 2.5 year check? They often run late with them.

The HV came to my house with 10 mins notice on that one. They want to check your DDs development, if it is the HV. Standard visit. She'll get some crayons and books smile

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 15:25:59

Well, she is 3 yo and 10 months, so that really is a bit late... but she didn't have her check and we recently moved to a new house.

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 15:28:11

She did mention something about her medical follow up, but today she also said they wanted to see if she was going to school, etc (which doesn't really make sense, as she is too young)

Anniepops Tue 05-Jul-11 15:37:42

To be on the safe side I would phone your GP/ Doctor or local children's centre or clinic as those tend to be the bases where health visitors work from, and ask if they are able to give you the name and contact details of the health visitor your daughter is registered with so you can speak to them or confirm the appointment and that they are who they say they are. I don't think it's unreasonable to be wary of any one who rings you and asks to come and see you and your child in your home. I'm sure it's fine but anyone involved in the welfare of children will understand if you are cautious about who you let into your home.

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 15:53:38

Mistery solved thanks to Anniepops: she is a health visitor smile Thanks! So I shouldn't be worried then, right?

Anniepops Tue 05-Jul-11 16:02:56

Did you phone your GP?

Anniepops Tue 05-Jul-11 16:05:44

You should definitely check that it's a genuine visit by a registered health visitor as there have been cases (although very rare) of bogus health visitors.

ObiWan Tue 05-Jul-11 16:11:40

When we moved house and registered with a GP in a new PCT our details were passed on to the health visiting service. They came around (without having made an appointment!) and handed over a load of stuff about local surestart centres etc.
Apparently they do this as standard out here, but we made it clear that we had no desire to use any of their services and they were happy to dissapear. We never heard from them again.

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 16:21:06

Yes, I called my GP and they gave me her number. She's a nurse. I'm a bit paranoid I guess...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now