Talk

Advanced search

to think this would draw more attention to the breastfeeding mother than normal?

(29 Posts)
WhiteTrash Tue 05-Jul-11 12:11:22

This I know if I saw one of those Id likely crane my neck whilst wondering wtf is that thing?! Alright, slight exageration but I might be more likely to glance over. Whilst I wouldnt bat an eye lid at a regular bf mother. Theres tonned of different ways of bf discreetly without 'covering the baby' as the site claims. I did think at least it was multifunctional until I realised it probably wouldnt be all that hygenic to change a dirty nappy on it then use it to cover up..... I dont even know what really?

Insomnia11 Tue 05-Jul-11 12:15:24

Seems a little unnecessary but each to their own.

When I had a Baby Bjorn with DD1 in 2005 that seemed quite novel to some folk...used to get comments like "Can she breathe in there?"

In 2009 with DD2 no-one batted an eyelid.

meravigliosa Tue 05-Jul-11 12:15:58

Eeeuw. Don't fancy the hygiene aspects of using it as a changing mat first. I guess the market will decide, though. Either people will like it or will decide it is just another crap product they don't need. It did strike me as something that might have been designed by team Logic or the other lot on the Apprentice. But I am a shameless bfer and others may like/need this more than I do ...

shuffleballchange Tue 05-Jul-11 12:30:38

Oh good grief, its stuff like this that draws attention to BF. Mothers have breastfed their babies since time began. It just so happens that todays society views boobs as a little bit naughty and rude. What is wrong with just getting your boob out and feeding your baby without all this stupid faff? I have just stopped bf DS2 and glad I have so I can just ignore all the BF hysteria now <<walks off shaking head and muttering>>

verylittlecarrot Tue 05-Jul-11 12:42:15

I really dislike anything which reinforces the idea that breastfeeding ought to be hidden. Have no desire to judge anyone else's choice. Feed discreetly, or don't. Either way. Just don't proscribe others' choices. Her choice is to feed in this rather contrived contraption. I guess she feels there is a market for it with others.

Shame that the inventor decided to create it because she felt onlookers were making her uncomfortable.

BumWiper Tue 05-Jul-11 12:45:31

I always managed to feed discreetly.Lift top,pop out boob,put baby on,done.
Honestly,I would save my money and buy cake.

pyjamalover Tue 05-Jul-11 13:00:42

I have a nursing cover. I'm so sorry if that offends people. No I'm not ashamed of BF, I feed anywhere, depending on where I am and what I'm wearing I might use the cover. It has nothing to do with feeling I have to hide it, I'm not great at discreet feeding, have big boobs and don't want to show them to a restaurant full of people.

Thanks to threads like these not only do mums who FF feel judged, mums who BF using a cover also feel judged.

pyjamalover Tue 05-Jul-11 13:02:57

and does anyone have a problem with people who cover their arse/thighs/ other body parts?

BumWiper Tue 05-Jul-11 13:06:50

Frankly I don't give a hoot how anyone feeds their baby.

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 05-Jul-11 13:08:31

it something i would of used on ds, i wasn't very good at discret feeding in warmer weather and ds hated blankets. I did try a muslim square but he didn't like those either

mrsgordonfreeman Tue 05-Jul-11 13:12:55

The point is, I suppose, that it's a shame that some women feel they should use a cover whilst nursing.

That's not saying that women shouldn't use a cover, if they're happy doing so.

It's saying that it's a shame that some women feel that they ought to.

My advice to anyone concerned about discreet feeding would be to watch yourself in a mirror so that you can see how much you're revealing.

I once had a nipple hanging out of my top for AGES in a cafe and nobody said anything.

mrsgordonfreeman Tue 05-Jul-11 13:13:10

..I wish someone had blush

MamaChocoholic Tue 05-Jul-11 13:13:26

I think it looks better (more discreet) than some nursing covers I've seen. I possibly could have used it in the early days with the dts, when I needed to whip both boobs out at once because neither could wait. I challenge anyone here to do that discreetly with my K cup norks!

> What is wrong with just getting your boob out and feeding your baby without all this stupid faff?

some women prefer to keep our boobs private. fwiw I have total admiration for all those who can just get a boob out. I wish this could be me. but it's not - not because I feel the public must be protected from my boobs, but because I want to protect my boobs from them. better have contraptions like this and continue to feed your baby and go out than spend 3 months indoors as I did when my babies were too big to feed in a sling and too small to cover much with their bodies.

that said, I did manage to tandem feed 9mo twins in the park yesterday, with carefully positioned babies and loose t shirt covering up my spare flesh, so feeling a bit proud today smile

GrimmaTheNome Tue 05-Jul-11 13:13:47

PJ, its entirely up to each mother to feed her baby in whatever way suits her. If you feel more comfortable with it in some situations, then that's great and its a good thing. The only thing that could make it bad would be if it made any judgy idiots think that all BF mums should have to use it.

I like the name BTW Braap - is it supposed to sound like what the baby does at the end? grin

wobblyweeble82 Tue 05-Jul-11 13:14:46

WEll said pyjama. I'm BF my 7wo DD at the mo and I hate having to wop out a boob to feed her in public. They're massive for starters which means I have to support my boob otherwise all and sundry would get covered in milk. And I'm just not comfortable with it. I'm not ashamed to BF - far from it as I harp on about it all the time. I just don't like getting my boobs out in public. Body conscious, maybe? Shy perhaps? I do it, don't get me wrong as I'm not going to keep her waiting, and I wouldn't buy one of these devices here but not all BF women are comfortable in wopping a boob out anywhere and everywhere. I'm a fan of the draped muslin and the quiet corner, or I return to the car if I feel more comfortable.

mrsravelstein Tue 05-Jul-11 13:15:08

i wouldn't bother with one and yes i think it does look rather more obtrusive than having a muslin or cotton blanket slung over your shoulder which is what i always did.

TruthSweet Tue 05-Jul-11 13:59:44

The thing is if baby pops off (as they are wont to do) then you are left sitting there with your breast poking out of a hole in a large panel of fabric. Not the most discrete thing ever. At least if a baby pops off under a nursing cover then nobody sees! See top row last picture here for how it would look if baby decides to have a look around.

Plus with a nursing cover at least baby can touch your skin not just feed through a hole in the fabric.

FWIW I have never used a cover, muslin, blanket or anything and I've still managed to feed fairly discretely. I do the 'vest under top' method then oik boob out under top and then lift top to feed (or if DD2 has her way at BFing groups I just oik it out of the neckline!). If baby pops off using this method you just pull your top down as they come off so even if your breast isn't back in the bra it's covered and your back fat/mummy tummy is covered the whole time.

Though having said that if using a Braap means a mother feels able to feed her baby whilst out then great it's served it's purpose for her.

LolaRennt Tue 05-Jul-11 14:04:18

Thats not nearly as horrible as hooters hiders I think womne use them not because they are ashamed of BF but because they are nervous of someone seeing their breast which is fair enough.

I think its gross its used as a changing mat though!

WhiteTrash Tue 05-Jul-11 14:07:59

My original thought on this was not whether or not a mother should or should not feel they need to be discreet, but rather that the item defeats the object. As in, if she wanted to remain as hidden as possible (which is fine) then this might actually turn more heads if used.

As someone with small breasts I didnt actually take into consideration the fact that it may be harder to be discreet with bigger breasts. On which case my mind has bern opened a little more to such items.

I still think (just as much as before) that it is a waste of money and wholly agree that the money should be spent on cake. Preferably a large slice. Perhaps big enough to cover a babies head and one large breast? grin

sheeplikessleep Tue 05-Jul-11 14:10:35

Looks hard to use to be honest! Do you have to pull your top down after you've put it on?
Also, I think both my boys would have been pulling and tugging at it and generally getting distracted by it anyway.

YANBU, it does draw more attention.
I also think it's gross that it's used as a double up changing mat.

KatieWatie Tue 05-Jul-11 14:16:08

I'm terrified by all this BFing stuff, more the hysteria around it than actually doing it. I haven't even had my baby yet, and sometimes I wish I'd never found Mumsnet as then I wouldn't know it was a problem for me to cover up when BFing sad

I'm not concerned what others think when they see me BF, I'm just a bit shy and don't want to be wopping my boobs out in public, the thought literally terrifies me. Will I be judged as someone who is ashamed of BFing or something like that? Will I offend some brigade or other? Maybe it's just easier to get a bottle.

BeerTricksPotter Tue 05-Jul-11 14:21:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pyjamalover Tue 05-Jul-11 14:27:31

KatieWatie feed how you want, don't worry about what anyone else thinks and actually there is tons of really good support and advice on MN

GrimmaTheNome Tue 05-Jul-11 14:33:01

Katie: most people won't even notice, and among the vast majority who do, they'll either simply look the other way or give you a soppy smile.

sweetpea5 Tue 05-Jul-11 14:35:17

Hmmm changing mat and feeding accessory? Not v hygienic I reckon. I don't think it's really noticeable though, quite discrete I think.

I had one of those hooter hider things but found it too much hassle with a squirmy baby. However I read a post on here about the breastvest and it changed my life. No really! No more belly hanging out while I had my top up for feeding and my boobs were mostly covered up by my top anyway. Genius invention smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now