Talk

Advanced search

To be panicky about vaccines tommorrow?

(17 Posts)
Gmiddle Mon 04-Jul-11 22:03:03

My husband is a biology professor and seems dead certain they're safe, but I've heard so many scare stories that I'm worried. My child is the most important thing in the world, even if there's even the tiniest risk of ruining his life to protect him from a few uncomfortable spots now and then, has me going crazy inside!

Fernier Mon 04-Jul-11 22:06:07

Most vaccines protect against more than spots - the diseases are serious! Yanbu to worry at all but it will be over soon enough.

worraliberty Mon 04-Jul-11 22:06:24

A 'few uncomfortable spots' isn't why you're vaccinating him though is it?

SingingSands Mon 04-Jul-11 22:06:48

"Scare Stories" are just that: stories. The plural of "anecdote" is not "fact".

And as for your comment "a few uncomfortable spots"... that makes you sound extremely uninformed about the vaccine programme.

YABU.

Gmiddle Mon 04-Jul-11 22:07:51

Sorry, I didnt meant to downplay the diseases with a few uncomfortable spots, jsut the likely hood of it happening also being low.

CrystalQueen Mon 04-Jul-11 22:13:03

Well YABU if you expect a reasoned discussion about vaccinations here.

YANBU to worry about your child, and if you are doing the right thing. Welcome to motherhood!

However since your husband is a biology professor he must have access to a wide range of scientific journals. Do your own reading about the statistics of childhood diseases and vaccinations.

Gmiddle Mon 04-Jul-11 22:14:02

OH GOD I JUST LOOKED AT HIM ASKANCE AND NOW HE HAS AUTISM! IT'S BECAUSE I THOUGHT ABOUT VACCINES NOW HE HAS IT!

CURSE YOU SCIENCE!

Rosebud05 Mon 04-Jul-11 22:16:16

YANBU. I felt really nervous too, and it's completely understandable when you're having your baby jabbed with something most of us don't really know that much about.

Having said that, it will be over pretty quickly and certainly from a couple of friend's experiences, those stats about the risk of catching one of the diseases the UK vaccinate against look a bit meaningless when it's your kid who has it.

PaisleyLeaf Mon 04-Jul-11 22:16:22

No one likes putting their DCs through it. (I was upset by the heel prick thingie). In an ideal world everyone else would be vaccinated, so you wouldn't have to.

Gmiddle Mon 04-Jul-11 22:18:01

My husband made that last post, he's such a bully, thats another one of my problems but for another day maybe :'(

Pagwatch Mon 04-Jul-11 22:19:59

Gmiddle

WTF was your autism post.

Was that supposed to be funny?

happywheezer Mon 04-Jul-11 22:22:12

NOT FUNNY

Gmiddle Mon 04-Jul-11 22:22:24

Pagwatch, please read previous post.

Pagwatch Mon 04-Jul-11 22:23:32

Then you do have bigger problems

Your dh is an unfunny cock

Icoulddoitbetter Mon 04-Jul-11 22:26:37

Ooooh give your husband a slap, that post will go down like a lead balloon! But seriously, we all worry about things we do to our children, and how they will be affected buy them. However, there is no doubt that vaccines save lives, and I still get angry when I hear about some of the disgustingly low rates of MMR in some parts of London.
Your DS will be fine smile

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 04-Jul-11 22:34:28

biscuit @ your DH

gallicgirl Mon 04-Jul-11 23:16:26

The only reason the likelihood of getting some of these dreadful preventable diseases which can seriously injure or even kill your child, is low, is because the majority of people vaccinate their children.

Just look at developing countries without robust vaccination programmes to see what the risks are. Measles epidemics aren't pretty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now