Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked and saddened by the amount of bigotry on this site

(51 Posts)
catgirl1976 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:16:20

I am fairly new on here and whilst I appreciate that it is an open forum and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, I have been exposed to levels of bigotry, ignorance and racism on this site that have shocked me.

I guess I have just been a bit sheltered in that I haven't really mixed with people who hold views like this IRL and was fooling myself into thinking they had gone out of vogue.

I appreciate all sections of society are on this site so there will be a whole range of political view points and beliefs but I didn't expect to stumble into what felt like a BNP meeting on a parenting forum Am I being unreasonable or just stupid to have thought a lot of these views had died out out?

DawnTiggaFashionGoddess Mon 04-Jul-11 20:18:15

You need to provide a link to a thread if you want an opinion and (in general) threads about threads are considered bad form.

UsuallyOnlySeesRubbishAboutRaceEtcFrom1PosterAndByTrollsTiggaxx

oohjarWhatsit Mon 04-Jul-11 20:18:22

everyone's opinion is as valid as the next persons, whatever it is

meditrina Mon 04-Jul-11 20:18:22

Oh no!

Yet another thread bleating about other threads.

Deal with what bothers you on the thread where you see it.

strandedbear Mon 04-Jul-11 20:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GypsyMoth Mon 04-Jul-11 20:19:00

which forum have you been hiding on then??

because they are all pretty much the same.....BUT,mumsnet has helped a lot of people

have you read the quilts threads?? no,guess not

you judge away......you are new and know very little about mumsnet and what it has to offer!!

catgirl1976 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:19:08

Sorry. Am new on here so didnt realise the thread about a thread thing.

SloganLogan Mon 04-Jul-11 20:19:20

Welcome to MN smile You're not stupid, it just sounds like you've been a bit sheltered from certain types of unpalatable opinion. Among reasonable people yes, these views have died out. But they do still exist and it's up to us to challenge them smile

Goblinchild Mon 04-Jul-11 20:19:54

Which thread has upset you?

Goodynuff Mon 04-Jul-11 20:19:56

link us to the thread please

lachesis Mon 04-Jul-11 20:20:05

What I'm shocked by is that it's no longer possible to discuss anything, much less disagree with someone, without being called a bigot or racist.

This is a thread about a thread, of course.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Mon 04-Jul-11 20:21:03

Is this because of the Nigerian/health tourism thread? People have the right to their own opinion and tough if it is not the same as yours.

catgirl1976 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:21:42

Thanks for the welcome Slogan. I appear to have committed a bit of a faux pas with this post sad. It wasn't just one thread though, there seemed to be a lot of it on a lot of threads! I don't think I am being judgey - just surprised by the prevelance of some views ( I don't agree with them but I am not saying people don't have the right to hold them)

oohjarWhatsit Mon 04-Jul-11 20:22:08

What I'm shocked by is that it's no longer possible to discuss anything, much less disagree with someone, without being called a bigot or racist.

hear hear

and thats exactly why * if anything they are getting stronger and worse.*

lachesis Mon 04-Jul-11 20:22:13

It doesn't make someone a racist or a bigot to realise that abuse of the visa system makes it more difficult for other, legitimate entrants.

Every country has border controls.

MorticiaAddams Mon 04-Jul-11 20:23:23

I would imagine that you do mix with people who hold some of the views expressed on here, it's just that they do not share them with you. People are more vocal when they can be anonymous.

You never know what's going on in peoples' heads.

bellavita Mon 04-Jul-11 20:23:24

<<hands hard hat to OP>>

catgirl1976 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:23:25

The particular thread was the Nigerian Health Care one. I am not saying people don't have the right to thier opinion - was just surpised how strongly a more right wing tabloid view seemed to be coming through with little opposing views to balance it towards the end. As a new person I wondered if this was typical.

flipthefrog Mon 04-Jul-11 20:24:16

it most certainly is not typical

SinicalSal Mon 04-Jul-11 20:24:27

It's much easier be extreme on an anonymous forum. IN RL you might get a smack, or someone might do this face at you hmm Much worse when it's from that nice Mrs Smith at no 12.

bellavita Mon 04-Jul-11 20:24:46

Rule no 1..... Do not start threads about threads grin

catgirl1976 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:25:49

Apologies for breaking the thread rule. I am new and didnt realise.

Good point about the "people probably do think like that IRL but don't share the views" - I expect that is very true

TheFarSideOfFuck Mon 04-Jul-11 20:29:44

that thread isn't typical which is why I haven't even opened it

just like in RL, I don't engage with bigots and racits, so if you think there are bigots and racists on that thread, just hide it

and come and play with the nice people smile

Mare11bp Mon 04-Jul-11 20:30:28

I am not criticising anyone, but what's so wrong with threads about threads? Why is it a MN no no? And I thought I was a regular on here.....

catgirl1976 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:31:09

Thank you farside smile I was hoping to meet some nice people so good to meet you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now