Talk

Advanced search

...to want DS to go to bed, just once, without it being such a fight?

(17 Posts)
Mum1234 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:09:09

had the tears, screaming the whole lot and I'm exhasted.

Just finally sat down and have eaten half the a chocolate orange in despair, bugger the diet..

Happymm Mon 04-Jul-11 20:14:53

Feel your pain!
My DS used to do this, till we started a star chart just for bed time-covered everything, getting undressed, brush teeth, bath/shower, putting PJ's on etc etc. So even if things went tits up towards the end, he was still getting some stars, if he got undressed and did his teeth for example.
He soon worked out that the more he did nicely each night, the quicker the chart filled up, and the quicker he got a treat, which could have been anything from cinema trip, a new book, library visit etc
Good luck-and can I have a segment or did you scoff the lot? grin

floosiemcwoosie Mon 04-Jul-11 20:15:11

what age is he?

Al1son Mon 04-Jul-11 20:16:25

((((HUGS))))

I have been there so many times and I have every sympathy. It is such a draining process when they fight it every single night.

Mum1234 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:20:34

He's 3. I guess maybe it is time for sticker charts

as for the segments..there are a few left but they are looking decidedly vulnerable!

lecce Mon 04-Jul-11 20:22:42

It's awful isn't it - so frustrating. Ds2 has just added the sorrowful voice technique to his repetoire:

Me: (feigning optimism) Night night, darling, see you in the morning.

DS2: (with sly look) I yike (like) you, Mummy.

Me: And I love you but it's nighttime now.

Ds2: (in shocked, hurt voice) But I wuv (love) you, Mummy.
This is quickly followed by screams if I try to leave.

He's getting there slowly but it is so exhausting.

SmethwickBelle Mon 04-Jul-11 20:23:09

My 3 year old (four next week) is being a total little terror at bedtimes, I very much feel your pain.

Mum1234 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:36:56

Just checked and he's finally gone to sleep. Fingers crossed for tomorrow night maybe, just maybe, tomorrow will be the no fight night grin)

CurlyBoy Mon 04-Jul-11 20:37:38

youtu.be/mUKAIlOOa30

Mum1234 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:49:27

Brilliant! I'm saving that to make me laugh when I will most likely be eating the rest of my chocolate orange after exactly the same night tomorrow. No I really must think positive..

shuffleballchange Mon 04-Jul-11 21:01:01

First off, eat the rest of your chocolate orange and buy a new one for tomorrow grin. I second the star chart, and maybe some stickers to go on his pjs too. Little kids LOVE stickers. When DS1 was 3 he used to have to watch Pink Floyds Pulse DVD, Run Like Hell was his favourite, not ideal but it was the only thing to get him to sleep!

DawnTiggaFashionGoddess Mon 04-Jul-11 21:07:47

Quick question, is this something that comes in at about 3? The Cub is currently 2.2 and goes to bed with no problems - is this something I have to 'look forward' to?

PlansOnGettingAStockOfChocolateInTiggaxx

ChuckYouFarlie Mon 04-Jul-11 21:11:20

The youtube link is GENIUS

kennythekangaroo Mon 04-Jul-11 21:18:08

I know how you feel. DD(3) is exactly the same at the moment.

We used a peppa pig chart with the reward of an icecream the last few days.

She got the ice cream today,I made a big fuss of why she was having it and hadn't she been busy doing the right thing etc. We printed out a new chart this evening with the reward of a windmill this time and she has been totally hideous this evening! Ate virtually no tea, wouldn't do her teeth and had the screaming ab-dabs at bedtime.

Keep repeating "It's just a phase, this too will pass". (And pour another wine}

Mum1234 Tue 05-Jul-11 11:04:45

I decided to go to bed in the end. DS was much more co-operative this morning and so I live in hope for this evening. The rest of the chocolate orange is at the ready though!

Thanks for that link showing reward charts - I'll give that a try.

Just had a thought though - is there a line where I can add a reward for me on there? Perhaps if I only eat 1 chocolate orange and just the one glass of wine to start with and then slowly wean myself off them. Actually no forget that - I'll keep with the chocolate and wine and just have stickers on my own PJ's!

Thanks anyway you lot always give me hope!

Insomnia11 Tue 05-Jul-11 11:18:37

It's scary on your own in the dark. We stay with them until they go to sleep. DD1 had progressed to me sitting outside her room, but this week wants me back in her room again. I think it's ok to be flexible though. When DD2 is old enough (and goes to sleep quicker) they can have bunk beds in one room.

This book is very good, I found:

www.apa.org/pubs/magination/441B011.aspx

It's a nightmare isnt it...DS is 8 (yes 8) and still a bloody pest at bedtime. We have tried everything....star charts, gradually moving out the room etc etc...last night was the first night he has slept in his bed all night for , god I cant remember how long!

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

OP I feel your pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now