Talk

Advanced search

To be getting more and more het up and feel like hitting something.

(21 Posts)
AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 04-Jul-11 14:34:39

(preferably something soft like a pillow or a giant marshmallow because truthfully I am a wimp)

DH went down for surgery at 8am I believe.. I tried phoning at lunchtime and they said he wasnt out of surgery yet. We were told surgery takes upto 5 hours, why havent I heard anything? I'm slowly going mad... sad

2littlegreenmonkeys Mon 04-Jul-11 14:36:27

sad have an un-mumnetty hug.

Could you maybe go out for a walk to try and help reduce the stress you are feeling.

Hope your DH is okay xx

aStarInStrangeways Mon 04-Jul-11 14:37:34

Do you know if he actually went in at 8am, or if that was the time he was scheduled for? It might be that he just got bumped by a more pressing case and had to wait a while.

My sympathies though, I know how utterly shit it is, waiting to hear that they're out.

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 04-Jul-11 14:37:57

I'm waiting on phone call from ICU you tell me he's ok. sad

macdoodle Mon 04-Jul-11 14:38:04

Don't panic. If he went down at 8am (unlikely) may have taken an hour to anaesthetise and prep him. 5 hours surgery. An hour in recovery. So not back on the ward until 3 at the earliest. They wont known anything till he is out of recovery.
What is he having done?

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 04-Jul-11 14:38:14

*to tell me!

OTheHugeManatee Mon 04-Jul-11 14:39:00

I know this is MN, but still.

(((((((((((((((((((amazingbouncingferret)))))))))))))))))))))

(that's hugs by the way)

Hope your DH comes through OK.

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 04-Jul-11 14:39:46

He's having a heart valve replacement.

excuse typos dd asleep on my lap

Thevelveteenrabbit Mon 04-Jul-11 14:40:11

If the surgery takes 5 hours - did this include the time for anaesthetic etc and then time in recovery afterwards - do you know if he was expected back on the ward in 5 hours? It is possible that the surgery takes 5 hours but whoever told you that didn't include the time before and after.
Also he could have been "bumped" down the list if there was an emergency requiring the theatre space.
I would ring again and ask to speak to whoever is looking after him or whoever is is charge and ask them if they can find out for you - it is understandable that you are worried but there could be several reasonable explanations.

M0naLisa Mon 04-Jul-11 14:42:23

Hope you and your dh are both?

<<<Hug>>>

M0naLisa Mon 04-Jul-11 14:42:23

Hope you and your dh are both?

<<<Hug>>>

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 04-Jul-11 14:44:59

It is possible he was bumped but dh would of phoned me. I hate the idea of phoning again to get them to chase it up because it detracts from them caring for patients sad

I'll give it an hour and muster the courage!

MissPenteuth Mon 04-Jul-11 14:47:24

Oh it's awful isn't it? I remember waiting to hear after DH had hip replacement surgery. It just seemed like the longest day of my life, even though I was trying to keep busy.

I'm sure you'll hear soon, but there's no harm in giving them a ring in an hour or so if you haven't heard by then. And we're here to hold your hand or distract you in the meantime if you need it smile

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 04-Jul-11 16:02:17

The operation was a success! He's still asleep and on a breathing machine right now and he wont wake until early evening. So they said it would be best to leave visiting till tomorrow morning. I'm so pleased he's ok! <breathes big sigh of relief>

PommePoire Mon 04-Jul-11 16:07:30

Oh, thank goodness, Amazing! I know how worrying it can be to sitting waiting for the all clear. Go and get some rest so that you can be there for him when he wakes up. Big sigh of relief for you. smile

Euphemia Mon 04-Jul-11 16:12:40

Good news! He'll be so pleased to see you tomorrow. smile

DaisySteiner Mon 04-Jul-11 16:18:09

Glad he's OK (BTW, surgeons are often hopelessly optimistic about how long operations will take!)

Andrewofgg Mon 04-Jul-11 20:16:06

Good luck to both!

2littlegreenmonkeys Wed 06-Jul-11 06:00:39

Phew. I hope your DH is recovering well smile

BimboNo5 Wed 06-Jul-11 06:05:43

Thats fab news! My DH went down for surgery at 9.30am and I didnt get the call to say he was out until 7.30pm the waiting is horrible isnt it, so glad your DH's op went well hope he continues to have an uneventful recovery

ChocolateTeacup Wed 06-Jul-11 08:03:15

Great news, hope he recovers well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now