Talk

Advanced search

to dread shuffle up day.

(12 Posts)
bristol80 Mon 04-Jul-11 10:20:58

Dc go to a school with a pan of 45 so they have 1 full class in each year group and 1 composite. yr1/yr2 etc. Split is openly done on ability. I am in the unenviable position of having 2 dc who could are affected.
Just waiting for all the conversations at the school gate. and on facebook if a previousl post is anything to go by. Plus the yuonger 1 has a meeting at school. Can just imagine all the parents complaining as ...... is being held back etc.
Alyhough in my case with older dc I will be relieved if he is in single age class.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 04-Jul-11 11:41:32

I am sorry, I can't make head nor tail of this.

TrilllianAstra Mon 04-Jul-11 11:55:38

So there are 45 children per year.

30 children go in year 1
30 children in a year1/year 2 mixed class
30 children in year 2

And you think all the year 1 parents whose children are in the mixed class will boast that their children are the cleverest, and all the year 2 parents whose children are in the mixed class will be sad because their children are not so clever?

Is that it?

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 04-Jul-11 11:57:48

Well done Trillian. You teased meaning out of chaos

BuntyPenfold Mon 04-Jul-11 12:15:36

Won't the older Yr 1 and younger Yr 2 children be put together? That happens here.
No fuss, no bother.

LargeGlassOfWine Mon 04-Jul-11 12:17:20

The OP said it would be done on ability not age.

Fernier Mon 04-Jul-11 13:03:59

This happens at our school too. I have yet to hear any comments about it though, must say this could be because my daughter is oldest in the year fully in the just year one class [Grin] maybe people think best not to mention to me!

Henwelly Mon 04-Jul-11 13:30:50

This happens at our school and the Mums are already buzzing!!
The school dont tell us where they are going until the end of term giving less time for mums complaining about DC being kept back, being in with the class troublemaker, not with the right children - delete as applicable.

In our school each year has two classes:
Reception 30
Reception 20 + 10 Year 1
Year 1
Year 1 + 10 Year 2

and so on!!

I would just like DS to have one teacher instead of two and the constant stream of supply teachers!

lazylula Mon 04-Jul-11 13:49:34

Ds1 school has an intake of 45 too, they have 2 reception classes then:
Year 1- 30 youngest of the year
Year 1 and 2- 15 oldest year 1 and 15 youngest year 2
Year 2- 30 Oldest year 2
Year 3- 30 youngest year 3
Year 3 and 4- 15 oldest year 3 and 15 youngest year 4 ect.

I do not think I would be that happy with it being done by ability if I am honest.

oohjarWhatsit Mon 04-Jul-11 13:50:42

I am sorry, I can't make head nor tail of this.

thank god its not just me smile

breatheslowly Mon 04-Jul-11 13:57:14

I think our local school with pan of 45 has a reception class and a mixed reception/year 1 class, but then on has 3 parallel year 1/2 classes, 3 parallel year 3/4 and 3 parallel year 5/6 classes. This would avoid all of the trouble with who goes into the mixed classes. I am not sure if they then swap teachers each year or not.

bristol80 Mon 04-Jul-11 14:23:54

Trillian explained it much better than me. Sorry sleep deprieved at moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now