Advanced search

Would you call police?

(19 Posts)
Jujo2011 Mon 04-Jul-11 09:03:34

More of a lurker than a poster but genuinely not sure what to do, and would like some opinions.

The house next door to me is rented out, the previous tennants moved out a couple of weeks ago, the house has been empty since. When taking dog out for a walk this morning I noticed the front door was whilst walking dog I called the letting agent and left a voicemail saying the front door was ajar.

On the way back, I've noticed the glass in the top of the door is also smashed (not sure how I missed this earlier) I don't know if anyone has got into the house or not, It would seem so, with the glass smashed and door ajar.

I believe the house is let as a furnished house, so believe there should be furniture etc inside, but don't know what. I'm unsure whether I should call the police, or as I've already called the letting agent (leaving my contact details) whether I should leave the letting agent to come see what/if any thing is missing and then let the agent contact the police. Or whether I should contact the police myself and tell them I think someone has broke into the empty (but furnished) house next door?

What would you do in this situation?

HerHissyness Mon 04-Jul-11 09:05:21

Call the letting agent again. It's their responsibility.

HelloKlitty Mon 04-Jul-11 09:05:36

I would keep calling the agent until someone answered .....if nobody had spoken to me by 5.00pm I would call the non emergency police so they can come and arrange the house to be made secure.

The agent will get back to you in all probablilty.

LeoTheLateBloomer Mon 04-Jul-11 09:05:52

I'd leave another message with the letting agent informing them about the glass.

itisnearlysummer Mon 04-Jul-11 09:07:36

Phone the police.

I was staying with a friend once who was renting a house from a relative. One of the neighbours phoned the police because they'd seen a "strange girl" entering and leaving the house.

The police popped round to check everything was fine. And it was. We weren't offended, we thought it was reassuring the neighbours were being nosey keeping an eye on things.

If it's nothing to worry about, the police won't take any action, if it is, it's best off you're not involved directly but I'm sure the owners would appreciate it.

Jujo2011 Mon 04-Jul-11 09:12:30

wow, quick responses! I've tried the agent again and just rings for while then eventually clicks into voicemail.

Thank you for your responses though I shall keep trying and call the police later today to make the house secure if nobody comes back to me, or comes out to the house and makes it secure.

I just feel so guilty, the dog barked at about two this morning and I just shusshed her, never even looked out blush

Jujo2011 Mon 04-Jul-11 09:17:25

thanks itisnearlysummer I've only just seen your response.

I am tempted to call police, but worried they will think I am wasting there time as I will be unable to tell them if anything is missing or not. If have no joy from agent by 10am think I will call the non emergency number....what's the worse that can happen?

itisnearlysummer Mon 04-Jul-11 09:33:56


I think I would call the non-emergency number and explain the situation. I don't think they will think you are wasting their time.

You can then leave it in their hands to deal with it. If someone has broken in and broken a window then there are 2 offences right there, whether or not they have stolen anything.

Besides, you live next door and it is for your peace of mind. I think I'd still call the police even if the LA does get in touch. Just in case. Good luck.

xstitch Mon 04-Jul-11 09:36:00

A lot of agencies don't open til half nins so hopefully they will answer then.

childfreeatm Mon 04-Jul-11 09:46:15

Call the non emergency line and get someone down, it's what they're there for and they are very nice. I had to call them out last night as yoofs were throwing bottles at my cat and yelling abuse at it sad As you can imagine, I felt silly calling about that, but I wasn't having that happen.

purplepidjin Mon 04-Jul-11 09:47:44

The operator will be able to make the decision whether it's urgent or not. Dp broke down and hurt his leg once, aa were taking forever so I called the non emergency number after a couple of hours (pitch black thunderstorm) they sent someone immediately and took it very deriously even though we thought it was fairly minor blush

tanya153 Mon 04-Jul-11 09:54:13

I would call police but just your local number rather than 999 a break in is a break in, also they may be back again and you don't want unsavourys next door if u have kids around, it is the police's job to secure area and make people feel safe and they attend much more rubbish than that so don't feel a nuisance x

PhilipJFry Mon 04-Jul-11 11:06:45

They won't think you're wasting time if you use the non-emergency line for something like this. The line is designed for these kinds of situations and like purplepidjin said, they'll use their judgement to decide whether to send someone immediately or not. I've had to call them 3 times over the last year, once for a house that got smashed up (drug debts or something like that), and they always reassured me that I was doing the right thing.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 04-Jul-11 11:26:43

Not my house is it? [concerned]. Our tenants moved out on Friday and me and DD won't be arriving until early August.

Birdsgottafly Mon 04-Jul-11 11:36:49

You have got to phone the police if you do not get an answer from the letting agency as for all you know it may be being used by drug addicts, that depends on where you live, of course. Teenagers in the area will notice it and may congregate there. If the eectricity or gas is not switched off then there could be a serious fire or explosion, even. Drunken parties have a way of getting out of hand.

The agency shouldn't be leaving the house unsequired as it puts you and your property at risk. They won't be covered by insurance if the property isn't locked.

The police certainly won't think that you are wasting their time as you are preventing crime by reporting it.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jul-11 11:42:23

One more vote for calling the police, the sooner the better.

Not a 999 unless you have seen someone break in or have reason to believe they are still there.

Homeowner will not thank his stupid lazy agent if his house is ransacked, boiler stolen, fires started, dossers or drug users set up home there.

It sounds to me as if the house "looks" empty and someone has broken glass to open a Yale lock or similar. It takes seconds. If this is the case you could point out to the owner that a proper BS deadlock would not have been so easy.

An unoccupied house that is not visited and inspected every 14 days will probably not be covered by insurance either.

Jujo2011 Mon 04-Jul-11 12:42:12

Thanks all for your replies.

Well I called the police and they came about half an hour ago, didn't say a right lot to be honest, took letting agents details and left. The officer did say they would pay a visit to the offices rather than call. Must've have got in touch because the owner's of the house have just arrived (so rest assured kreecherlivesupstairs I don't think it's you house smile) to I hope, make the house secure, as I certainly don't want anyone getting in and causing trouble, as my house is attached.

Thanks for all the replies! x

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 04-Jul-11 14:48:00

If you are in Warrington. It could be.

Jujo2011 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:45:22

No kreecherlivesupstairs not in Warrington x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: