Talk

Advanced search

To think that once you're a parent it doesn't matter what you do

(13 Posts)
Glitterknickaz Sun 03-Jul-11 19:40:12

you really cannot win?

Somebody somewhere would always do things differently.
Somebody somewhere will always judge.

Not one parent is immune from it.

oohjarWhatsit Sun 03-Jul-11 19:41:14

of course

but you could say the same about say being a politician or a tv presenter

there is always someone there to criticise

Glitterknickaz Sun 03-Jul-11 19:41:56

yes, but being a parent invokes a very special kind of ire I feel

floosiemcwoosie Sun 03-Jul-11 19:42:35

Everyone has an opinion on parenting it would seem.

Although I have to admit I have probably done a fair amount of judging too.

TrilllianAstra Sun 03-Jul-11 19:47:55

If you mean "someone will always disagree with what you do" then that applies whether you are a parent or not, people are just more vocal about judging parenting than non-parenting choices.

If you mean "it actually doesn't matter how you parent or what you do" then of course that's bollocks.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 03-Jul-11 19:48:44

It's just part of the continuum of life. You get judged by your peers when you're growing up, at school, in the workplace... why not as a parent? Trick is to develop a thick skin... accept all the praise, reject all the criticisms, trust your own judgement, don't complain, don't explain..... and apply that to the rest of your life as well.

BellaBearisWideAwake Sun 03-Jul-11 19:49:00

My mil said me jokingly once "a mother's place is in the wrong"

Hassled Sun 03-Jul-11 19:51:37

I don't think I agree. I seldom really judge - only extreme stuff, either over the top PFB-type preciousness or obvious neglect. And I've seldom been aware of being judged.

tallwivglasses Sun 03-Jul-11 19:55:09

Has someone been judging you Glitter? Better to be talked about than ignored imo wink

Anniegetyourgun Sun 03-Jul-11 19:57:39

IME the strongest opinions I've been offered on childcare have come from people who don't have any children, don't want any and would run away screaming if you tried to foist one on them. But that doesn't stop them knowing best. Indeed, I think they believe it's a positive advantage, because they have the outsider's perspective you see.

DialMforMummy Sun 03-Jul-11 20:31:22

There is more than one way to getting things "right". We can all do wel in doing things differently. Bear that in mind.

DialMforMummy Sun 03-Jul-11 20:31:31

well

oohjarWhatsit Sun 03-Jul-11 20:33:51

agree with mummy, there are lots of different right ways

and just because someone has views that might not be up to date or trendy ones, doesnt mean they can be dismissed straightaway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now