Talk

Advanced search

To have called the police on 8yo boys?

(16 Posts)
youarekidding Sun 03-Jul-11 14:37:24

I live on a new build estate. It was finished about 2 years ago and I'ved live here nearly 4 years. It is a long street but acess only at one end.

There is a park and open space over the road from me.

The estate is open plan and we pay HA for the upkeep of our garden which is 'our' communal garden but can be easily accessed through the car parks. There is no signage or fencing and we have badgered HA for years about this.

There have been bouts of issues, children playing in our part (which is behind our flats so accessed deliberatly not on way to somewhere else. Children coming in and banging on downstairs window of neighbour. The other day swearing so loudly I could hear it from above.

So today I'm in my flat (1st floor and top flat) and hear the entrance doors banging repeatedly. Eventually wondering what it is I go downstairs and discover the children have used trade button and put door on catch and are running through. They saw me and ran off climbing over park fence.

5 minutes later see them in park throwing stones at houses and onto railway.

I called the police and as I'm on the phone they come through flat communal area again and policeman on phone could hear the banging.

So PCSO came out, spoke to all 4 boys and has said 1 more incident and she takes them to parents and tells them to ground them. If they don't they be given anti social behaviour orders.

They are literally now on last chance saloon.

TBH a small part of me feels sorry for these children as they are out from 10am -10pm all weekend and think they're bored.

WIBU to have called police?

Curiousmama Sun 03-Jul-11 14:42:12

No you are in the right imo. I once called the police on young boys, their parents were angry with them though so it worked. So sad when they're left to their own devices sad

SheRunsWithScissors Sun 03-Jul-11 14:42:35

I don't think so. As kids we were outside for long periods during the summer, and would never have done stuff like that. Yes, we'd be a bit daring... but we;d be petrified of being caught doing stuff like that.

I think a fear of your parents has gone by the wayside for some kids.

TidyDancer Sun 03-Jul-11 14:46:13

You were definitely right to do it. No other option, sadly.

youarekidding Sun 03-Jul-11 14:50:14

I did say to the PCSO I wish it was back like it use to be. Then I'd have just taken them to their parents safe in the knowledge they'd be dealt with. grin

It's a shame that children nowadays do deliberatly bad things knowing they're bad but still think its OK.

They were made to come and apologise but I could see one of the boys just couldn't care less and literally said sorry and turned away.
Or he may have been worried as he knows I mean business. 2 years ago he deliberatly jumped in front of my car and pulled a face (luckily I drive slowly in the estate) and I took him to his 6"odd day whos built like a brickhouse and said exactly what I thought. His poor dad stood there shock in his dressing gown. grin

youarekidding Sun 03-Jul-11 18:00:34

Well, buzzer on flat went.

Me: 'hello?'
2 voices: Were really really really really really sorry.
Me: shock Oh OK, thanks.

Now I feel bad that I didn't praise them for having the balls to apologise properly off their own backs. I was just taken by surprise as I was expecting the window cleaner. grin

skybluepearl Sun 03-Jul-11 18:26:35

can you thank them for saying sorry next time you see them? you were right to call police.

BimboNo5 Sun 03-Jul-11 18:29:09

Where the hell are the parents in all this? It makes me so sad.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 03-Jul-11 18:35:08

They say it takes a village to raise a child, you did the right thing.

Curiousmama Sun 03-Jul-11 19:22:25

Aww that's nice hope that's the end of it?

youarekidding Sun 03-Jul-11 19:23:38

Yes I will say thanks when I see them next. Will do it quietly though as don't need others getting involved and certainly they won't thank me for embarassing them infront of their mates. grin

I think next weekend or one evening I will go over with DS and start them playing some games 40/40 it treasure hunt etc.

Maybe they just need someone to point them in the right direction and a more valuable use of my time than spending it on phone to police and making statements.

Curiousmama Sun 03-Jul-11 21:54:47

hope it goes well for you. Sounds like a nice idea smile

flipthefrog Sun 03-Jul-11 22:00:02

you did right to report so they know that figures of anti social behaviour

i run a project that sends play workers out to help these kids, can you guess if the tories have cut this project? angry

youarekidding Sun 03-Jul-11 22:04:57

So my idea of trying to get them to play games isn't such a daft one then. grin

Main reason I called was couldn't relax and play with DS as we were disturbed constantly and the other day when same children were banging on my neighbours (down stairs) patio and swearing she said if they come around the back into our garden again and cause harassment she would call the police. I don't think empty threats help these children as they then start to think they're untouchable. sad

Thing is we have asked for signs and or fencing as its a civil not criminal matter if they come through our garden. And guess whos ground maintenence goes up as garden gets ruined. angry

flipthefrog Sun 03-Jul-11 22:12:20

it's a great idea! i wish the tories would support us more though

youarekidding Sun 03-Jul-11 22:36:01

they won't support me - I'm a LP so all thats wrong with this country. wink <thats another thread though!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now