Talk

Advanced search

To think if you know your dc doesn't like theme park rides to tell me BEFORE we go?

(13 Posts)
WesternIsle Sun 03-Jul-11 10:13:39

I took my 2 dc to Thorpe Park, with two of their friends. My two have no fear and will go on every ride that they are tall enough for - the eldest this means everything, the youngest this means everything bar the very big roller coasters.

They chose friends from school to take - I spoke to both sets of parents before going, explained that we would be going on the rides. That the older 2 would go off and meet us at regular points so that they could go on the large rides, and that we (dh and I) would stay with the younger two.

We paid for it all our treat.

But when we got there neither child would go on the big rides for their heights, so my eldest was unable to go on the really big rides as they had to queue up for the medium rides, my youngest went on the medium rides with the older two, but the younger friend, would hardly go on any rides.

When we got back and deposited the children home, the parents asked whether it had been a nice day etc. I explained that the younger one had hardly been on any rides, and that the older one hadn't been on any of the big rides.

Both set of parents then said words to the effect of 'that's why we don't take them, because they don't like the rides!'

AIBU to think you could have told us that when they were invited and we could have gone out elsewhere with these children not to a theme park, and invited children who do enjoy theme parks with us?

bagelmonkey Sun 03-Jul-11 10:16:05

YANBU
Their parents are stupid.

lubeybooby Sun 03-Jul-11 10:16:23

What would you have done if they had told you though? Would have been too late to re-arrange with anyone else surely and a bit crap for the kids if you did.

FlubbaBubba Sun 03-Jul-11 10:18:27

I'd have been fuming!! Especially with the cost of the theme parks.

Why the hell didn't they say something to you when you spoke to them?? Were they at all apologetic when you returned their kids to them? (I'd have said "well you could have mentioned it and saved me £££!" hmm

squareegg Sun 03-Jul-11 10:19:55

YANBU, its an expensive day out for you - you'd think they'd mention it. Fair enough if the parents had never taken them to a theme park and didn't know but this wasn't the case so I'd be annoyed. My kids are adults now but I remember them having some friends who were nervous about some things, that's fine - we'd just do different stuff together as long as I was aware.

bigTillyMint Sun 03-Jul-11 10:19:56

YANBU.

Next time make sure your DC pick friends that like the same thigs as them for their party treat! DD deliberately avoids certain activities that she loves because she knows some of her friends wouldn't / couldn't do them. DS prefers to only invite friends who like the same activities as him smile

ssd Sun 03-Jul-11 10:20:39

agree, bloody stupid of the parents to let them go

really they were just using you for some free babysitting and it probably cost you a fortune shock

WesternIsle Sun 03-Jul-11 10:20:50

If they had told me that they didn't do theme park rides - I would have taken them to the beach/bowling/cinema exchange with something fun that the children would have enjoyed.

I spoke to the parents 2 weeks before we went, so could have either arranged theme park for different day - not special occassion so didn't have to be specific day, and had these kids over to play - or arranged to have them over on a different day.

pigletmania Sun 03-Jul-11 10:34:45

YANBU at all! Stupid people, they should have said if their kids don't like Theme Parks. Some people are just idiots, I think that they wanted a kid free day so palmed them off on you

pigletmania Sun 03-Jul-11 10:36:31

loobylooby op would have arranged to do something else with them!

eurochick Sun 03-Jul-11 10:37:08

YANBU. The parents should have warned you their ids are wet.....

gillybean2 Sun 03-Jul-11 10:43:11

Had the exact same thing. Took ds and 3 friends to a theme park. He loves the biggest rides. One boy went on barely anything (except the crooked house). I was mightly hacked off, especially as I could of bought him a cheaper wrist band for the smaller rides as he didn't go on anything that cost extra!

His mum said after 'yeah I didn't think he'd go on much' angry Well I would of taken someone else then if I'd know and taken him to the cinema or something another day!

therealmrsbeckham Sun 03-Jul-11 10:59:05

YANBU. My DD doesn't like theme park rides (she's not wet BTW just doesn't like rides).

I would have told the parents when she was invited and arranged a different day instead, no point going somewhere they aren't going to enjoy and those places aren't cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now