Talk

Advanced search

To think Handkerchiefs are gross...

(25 Posts)
VelveteenRabbit Sun 03-Jul-11 09:15:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 03-Jul-11 09:18:31

I haven't used a handkerchief in years; it's tissues all the way in this house. My memories of proper hankies though are very poignant... my gran used to find them in the street (yes, boak), take them home, wash and iron them - and this is the good bit - spray them with perfume and give them to me. They were like proper magic hankies and I've kept them all. grin

The idea of using them though... confused

CaptainBizarro Sun 03-Jul-11 09:20:23

They're much more environmentally friendly than endless use of tissue. grin

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 03-Jul-11 09:21:33

YANBU. They are loathesome.
Lying my Mum gave DD a pack of three hankies for some reason. DD was all regency and foppish the way she wafted them round.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 03-Jul-11 09:25:00

kreecher... Oh yes, nice formal ones and lace-edged hankies, the very thing... I think hankies are really impractical but very nice for wafting around. I used to drop them on the floor when I was very young to see if anybody would pick them up for me. My poor Mum used to cringe. grin

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 03-Jul-11 09:36:48

YY to dropping them on the floor as a test. DD adored a boy at her last school and took all three to drop in front of him. Apparently (or at least according to her) it is a test of true love.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 03-Jul-11 09:42:37

Three hankies, kreecher or did he succumb after one? Perhaps he was a bit resistant at first but as your DD has found out, sooner or later they all fall at the mystical power of the lace hankie.

I'm all wistful now... everytime I see a box of lace hankies around Christmas-time I always ponder a purchase. I doubt whether my husband would bother to pick them up though, they'd have a ruddy great bootprint on them.

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 03-Jul-11 09:51:00

Bless him, he was the lovliest little boy I've ever met. He just wasn't interested in DD the way she was in him. He matter of factly picked them up. she has idealised ideas of the way romances should proceed.
She was only seven at the time.

ledkr Sun 03-Jul-11 09:54:37

oh yuck yuck yuck.Its a family joke here how i hate them,i had to leave a course once cos the tutor kept blowing his nose on this bogey infested snot rag and looking at it then putting it back in his pocket,only to get it back out 10 mins later and flap it open to re start the process,ugh. You'd never wipe your arse then put the tissue back in you pocket for the next crap would you.
Tissues,used once then thrown away is te way forward.

whats4teamum Sun 03-Jul-11 09:58:40

I have witnessed a married couple share a hanky when she couldn't find anything to blow her nose on. They both had a good blow and he put it back in his pocket. Now that is gross!

bigTillyMint Sun 03-Jul-11 10:04:18

YANBU

Why do people still have them when paper tissues are so cheap and handy and can be thrown away?

DS has to have one in his cub folder hmm

ragged Sun 03-Jul-11 10:06:41

Environmental reasons, bigTillyMint, same as others said.

thefirstMrsDeVere Sun 03-Jul-11 10:13:25

My mum used to have to boil my dad's on the stove.

YUCK YUCK YUCK.

I dont think they are that eviromentally friendly. Its not very friendly to carry a bit of cloth smothered in snot and germs around with you.

Bluegh

bigTillyMint Sun 03-Jul-11 10:14:48

You are so right MrsDV smile

Indith Sun 03-Jul-11 10:15:15

I want to use hankies. I used cloth nappies and I have a mooncup, I feel I ought to use hankies but when I have a good cold with a streaming nose I would need about 50 a day!

When I was a child/teen I had bad dust allergies and produced a heck of a lot of snot so I was given a big stash of hankies form my gran's cupboards who had been hoarding my late grandad's hankies. I did use them but I needed to stuff about 5 of them in my blazer pocket just to make it through the school day. I mean 2 or 3 good sneezes and the hanky is sodden.

Cheeseandharps Sun 03-Jul-11 10:18:42

Hankies are fucking vile. DH uses his for ages and I have to wash them 3x to get them clean. I throw the really gross ones away and he hasn't yet worked out why he's only got a few left.

MIL used to soak hankies in the only washbasin in the house <double boak>

Tee2072 Sun 03-Jul-11 10:22:40

On the one hand, I agree, <boak> about blowing and putting it back in your pocket.

On the other hand, it is handy when you just know you're about to have a massive, snot blowing sneeze and you don't have to search or run for a tissue and can just reach into your pocket for a hanky.

lashingsofbingeinghere Sun 03-Jul-11 10:31:03

I know I'm going to sound like some swooning maiden aunt but, I like a crisp clean freshly laundered cotton handkerchief in my handbag/sleeve. If it gets used, it goes in the wash straight away.

I have been to a few funerals lately and a large, man's cotton handkerchief has been immensely helpful and strangely comforting for mopping up tears.

We all have cotton hankies but use tissues too if it's going to be more convenient (heavy cold, travel etc). As long as cotton ones are replaced as soon as they get used, I see no problem.

thefirstMrsDeVere Sun 03-Jul-11 10:39:54

In my middle years i have taken to buying extravagant decorated tissues and those infused with soothing balm.

Because I can.

OOAOML Sun 03-Jul-11 10:49:35

I don't use them for streaming colds, but I do like 'proper' hankies and usually have a clean one in my pocket. My children have cloth hankies as well (again not for steaming colds) and it is much better for the laundry as it cuts the risk of small bits of tissue all over the washing. There doesn't seem to be much choice in kids hankies these days, and for DS I had to resort to buying Thomas fabric and hemming little squares - this meant he was happy to carry his own hanky and was happy to take ownership of wiping his own nose.

Tchootnika Wed 06-Jul-11 00:27:26

Yep, nothing worse than keeping snot and tucking it away in a pocket....
except, maybe noisy nose blowing at dinner tables (have never understood how anyone can have the gall to do this, and if I could fart on demand I'd do so very loudly whenever people nose blow noisily in restaurants)...
When and where do we start campaigning?

ScaredyDog Wed 06-Jul-11 00:49:24

They are just gross! But my mum's probably right when she says the only thing you can use for a horribly snotty cold and avoid your nose going all dry and scabby is a proper hanky...I just can't cope with the idea of using a dozen of them each day and then washing them!

We used to have them as kids, had a drawer full of them.

Kleenex Balsam all the way now - the new menthol ones are pretty good too!

EmmaBemma Wed 06-Jul-11 05:54:24

I don't see the big whup, to be honest! It's only snot. I don't have them but I think they're sweetly old-fashioned and much less wasteful than paper tissues.

VelveteenRabbit Wed 06-Jul-11 12:07:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smartyparts Wed 06-Jul-11 12:13:08

Shudder! I too HATE handkerchiefs. I don't actually know anyone that uses them anymore, thank goodness.

My mil used to boil up my fil's on the stove top too - how disgusting.

I also hate it when people blow their nose into a tissue and then stuff it back up their sleeve or into a pocket. Throw it away!! And I am phobic about women (it's always women) who hold scrunched up tissues in their hand - ewwww.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now