Talk

Advanced search

Smoking with DC's in cars?

(19 Posts)
Boys2mam Sat 02-Jul-11 21:21:46

My DS2 (2.9 yo) has just been returned to me from MIL after her having had him for me for the day and she was smoking in the car.

I'm not being UR at being bloody angry, am I?

worraliberty Sat 02-Jul-11 21:23:41

YANBU

Thingumy Sat 02-Jul-11 21:23:49

yanbu

We smoke but never smoke in the car however short or long the journey.

It fucking reeks and it's not fair on any passengers.

NewShooz Sat 02-Jul-11 21:26:29

YANBU I hate seeing people smoking in the car when they have little ones in the back.

strawberryjelly Sat 02-Jul-11 21:26:34

YANBU

Tell her to stop or she won't see her grandkids- in every sense!

I even banned my father from smoking at all in front of the DCS he only smokes 5 a day and outsdie anyway) as they really looked up to him as kids and i did not want a smoker as a role model.

strawberryjelly Sat 02-Jul-11 21:27:15

Thingumy why do you smoke? Ther e is so much help that's free don't you want to give up?

skybluepearl Sat 02-Jul-11 21:52:24

you need to tell her it's unacceptable - why should he breathe her smoke?

tazmin Sat 02-Jul-11 21:54:05

child abuse, it really is

the lowest of the blimmin low

coccyx Sat 02-Jul-11 22:54:23

Yuk. yanbu

hairfullofsnakes Sat 02-Jul-11 23:01:14

Disgusting! I would be fucking furious. Is this the first time she has done this? Why did she? Have you ever told her never to do this? (not that you should have to)
Have stern words that this is not to happen again or she won't be aboe to drive your dc anywhere

MistressFrankly Sat 02-Jul-11 23:17:08

YANBU tell her not to or ds cant go in the car. Smoking round kids is lazy and selfish.

Tyr Sat 02-Jul-11 23:28:05

I smoke but never in the car with children. Your MIL is probably of a generation that didn't think it an issue.
Don't be furious about it- just ask her politely not to do it.

LittleBlueMouse Sat 02-Jul-11 23:34:47

Years ago they used to smoke on the maternity wards, I'm really not that ancient, but in my life time. Maybe she really isn't "with it" and is simply out of sych with current views.

You need to gently suggest she doesn't do it again. If she puts up an arguement break her legs then give her some leaflets and info and firmly request she stops smoking over her grandchildren.

FabbyChic Sat 02-Jul-11 23:37:12

I smoke and do not want to give up, it is my only luxury, I don't drink, drinking causes worse family problems than smoking.

I would never smoke in the car whilst my kids were in it though, the space is too confined.

I'd tell your MIL that she can no longer have your child in her car.

Boys2mam Sun 03-Jul-11 07:15:44

Thanks everyone.

We spoke about it when I was PG that I didn't want anyone smoking near him and when we visit she goes into the garden/other room to have a cig confused.

I have a feeling its a case of her thinking I wouldn't find out as I wasn't back when she dropped him off with a friend of mine. I was told by that friend. I've asked DP to speak to her as he'll deal with it a lot better than me.

Its the first time she's looked after him in 2.5 years anyway so chances are this'll huff her and she won't bother with him for another 2 and a half sad

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 03-Jul-11 07:28:00

The last bit is tricky. The first is simple, ask her not to smoke with your DC in the car.
I do smoke and smoke in the car. Not when DD is with me though.

Liluri Sun 03-Jul-11 07:36:55

Members of DP's family smoke around their children.
It's such a selfish, ignorant and stupid thing to do.
I can't believe any adult would do it to a child they claim to love.... but I suppose that is where the selfish, ignorant and stupid bit comes in.

fatfingers Sun 03-Jul-11 08:45:52

Up until quite recently, my dh would smoke in the car with the children in the back and the windows open (on long journeys). However, he then heard something on the news that said smoking one cigarette in the car with the windows open exposes a child to the same amount of smoke as sitting all night in the pub with them. He stopped doing it that day. Sometimes people don't realise quite how harmful their actions are.

clairefromsteps Sun 03-Jul-11 10:06:05

YANBU.

Does your MIL actually realise how unhealthy it is to smoke in a car with kids? Maybe she's never had it spelled out to her? Quite apart from the smoke aspect, she effectively has one hand out of action so will be in less control of the car.

And does she realise how minging it is when small children smell of cigarette smoke??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now