Talk

Advanced search

why would you risk our child by putting them in their pram/buggy on an escalator? when it specifically says not to??

(87 Posts)
slartybartfast Sat 02-Jul-11 17:46:04

can't understand why people would take risk.
i realise the lifts can be a pita
but really

<<runs>>

slartybartfast Sat 02-Jul-11 17:46:47

doh

not our child obviously

slartybartfast Sat 02-Jul-11 17:47:19

so explain yourselves, those that do it, or tell me to mind my own business.

flipthefrog Sat 02-Jul-11 17:47:56

we were always doing it on the london tube, would be more dangerous to take the kid out and carry the buggy

Jojay Sat 02-Jul-11 17:48:25

YANBU

I used to work in a dept store with escalators and saw several incidences of babies and (mostly) toddlers falling out of the buggy onto the escalator - not nice.

Not to mention the one where the wheel of the buggy jammed in the side of the escalator and caused £8k's worth of damage.

slartybartfast Sat 02-Jul-11 17:49:23

that was an expensivy buggy jojay wink

animula Sat 02-Jul-11 17:49:45

Always did it on tube escalators. I couldn't see how it could go pear-shaped, frankly, and thus it seemed a lot less risky than juggling wriggly, protesting toddler, pram, and bags.

What lifts?

slartybartfast Sat 02-Jul-11 17:49:53

wasnt thinking of london underground, does that say not to as well?

Sirzy Sat 02-Jul-11 17:50:09

I cant say i have ever seen anyone doing this! Sounds a daft thing to do though!

SydSaid Sat 02-Jul-11 17:50:23

No I wouldn't.

They are both taller than me, and it's very unlikely I would be able to force them into one.

Seriously though - if it is one mum on her own (or one dad), with shopping and a handbag and a baby that is too young to walk - I'm not really sure how else she would be able to manage.

80sMum Sat 02-Jul-11 17:52:58

Providing you lift the buggy so that it's level, what's the problem?

QueenOfFeckingEverything Sat 02-Jul-11 17:53:34

Lifts???

Hahahahahaaaaa - take it you don't use the underground much then?

It is the only way it is possible to get them up or down if you have a pre-walking child, a pushchair, and luggage to contend with. It'd be far more dangerous to try and juggle it all in arms tbh.

BagofHolly Sat 02-Jul-11 17:54:18

I do it. The wheels on my Stokke xplory are designed for stairs - the back ones flip under the front ones.

fuckmepinkandCALLmegoran Sat 02-Jul-11 17:55:34

Brake on, tip back up slightly, balance on escalator tread of step, hold on to it- sorted, job done, easy. Did it loads with all of mine and never gave it a second thought blush

slartybartfast Sat 02-Jul-11 17:55:38

when i posted i was thinking of Shopping, Department stores, ....not underground

however if you are in a wheelchair, how do you manage on underground, so presuambely thre must be lifts.

microfight Sat 02-Jul-11 17:56:17

There are no lifts on most underground stations so of course there are no signs saying you can't because there are no alternatives.
As someone else said the thought of carrying a baby/toddler in one arm and buggy and shopping in the other is just awful. I did where possible use a sling but sometimes you need the buggy!

QueenOfFeckingEverything Sat 02-Jul-11 17:57:02

Nope, slarty, there aren't lifts on about 75% (thats me being generous) of the the Underground.

Those in wheelchairs basically can't use most of it.

slartybartfast Sat 02-Jul-11 17:58:54

thats crap queen,

anyway aside from london underground.

GingerWrath Sat 02-Jul-11 17:59:20

Another one who has done it, easier than holding a wriggly baby/toddler, the shopping and a pushchair! As long as they are strapped in and you are careful no reason not to.

Sirzy Sat 02-Jul-11 17:59:55

That's one of the reasons I hate the underground and am thankful I don't live in or around London!

browneyesblue Sat 02-Jul-11 18:00:02

Most underground stations don't have lifts - only 62 are step free.

slartybartfast Sat 02-Jul-11 18:00:53

but hypothetically, speaking, there is a lift, so why not use it?

motherinferior Sat 02-Jul-11 18:00:59

Jam buggy sideways on stair, stand below keeping it upright.

fatlazymummy Sat 02-Jul-11 18:02:00

I used to do it all the time. It's not difficult and I never had a problem.

tallulahxhunny Sat 02-Jul-11 18:02:01

i did it too with all mine, its a lot easier than it looks, i have never had a problem with it :shrugs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now