Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is out of order on a kids cartoon programme.

(35 Posts)
mum0fthree Sat 02-Jul-11 14:36:54

I have also posted in special needs section but as it is busier here have reposted.

DS 7 (AS) asked me "Am I an anti-social freak?" of course I said no, why? I followed him into the living room to hear a character on Cartoon Network (Johnny Test) say "I am so glad we have a normal kid and not a weird anti-social freak"

I can't understand why a prog aimed at children would broadcast blatant disability discrimination and it is my view that it is really nasty thing to say.

LordOfTheFlies Sat 02-Jul-11 15:01:38

Just don't watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid,.shock

biddysmama Sat 02-Jul-11 15:03:46

whats wrong with diary of a wimpy kid? ive not seen it but ds has and loves it

mauricetinkler Sat 02-Jul-11 15:04:21

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sat 02-Jul-11 15:05:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LineRunner Sat 02-Jul-11 15:06:01

It does seem to be an over-reaction, to be honest.

kreecherlivesupstairs Sat 02-Jul-11 15:06:14

harsh maurice.
OP, I don't have s SN child but I imagine if I did I'd be very cross about that.
I only know DOAWK from books and the two films I have seen [yawn]

mauricetinkler Sat 02-Jul-11 15:08:05

Is being anti-social a disability now? I'm anti-social ffs and I don't consider myself to have a disability. Go get some fresh air OP.

biddysmama Sat 02-Jul-11 15:11:03

i think she meant because her child has asd ... which affects social skill and people having poor social skills were being refered to a freaks?

mayorquimby Sat 02-Jul-11 15:15:14

Is your kid clarevoyant? How did he know to ask the question just before the character on screen said the phrase just as you walked in the room?

Maryz Sat 02-Jul-11 15:17:45

I do know that "freak" is the insult of choice in my children's school for the children who are "different", usually those with ASD.

If you have a child who is very upset at frequently being called a freak, I can understand how the sentence "I am so glad we have a normal kid and not a weird anti-social freak" would be upsetting.

Why Troll, mauricetinkler? I hope you have a good reason hmm.

StealthPolarBear Sat 02-Jul-11 15:22:20

this is why DS will be watching CBeebies unti he's 10 smile

mauricetinkler Sat 02-Jul-11 15:22:41

Troll, because I honestly thought it was a wind-up - it just seems so silly.

meditrina Sat 02-Jul-11 15:24:18

I'm confused - could someone clarify if this remark were made as a specific allusion to a disabled character?

Being antisocial per se isn't classified as a disability is, it?

LolaRennt Sat 02-Jul-11 15:28:32

Is your kid clarevoyant? How did he know to ask the question just before the character on screen said the phrase just as you walked in the room?

hmmm

Maryz Sat 02-Jul-11 15:36:35

I agree the series of events sounds a bit odd as it is posted. But the use of the phrase on a children's programme is really awful if (like me) you have seen your child being reduced to tears by being called a freak sad.

I wonder would your reaction have been the same if the word had been "retard" or "schitzo" or even "ginge" or "paki" or "nigger", just to use a variety of insulting terms. Just saying "I'm glad we have a normal kid" is a bit hmm on a children's programme.

Of course, I am willing to accept I haven't seen or heard this programme, and if you know for a fact that this phrase wasn't used, then it is fair enough to call troll, I suppose confused.

hocuspontas Sat 02-Jul-11 15:43:10

Presumably this is an US programme and as we know they have different words/usages for things. But is 'freak' a non PC word now, regardless of context? Also how can you tell from a cartoon that a child is being portrayed as having SN? Sorry, but haven't seen programme to be able to tell.

meditrina Sat 02-Jul-11 15:55:08

if the word had been any of thise you list, I would have had a different reaction. But it wasn't.

The key part from what you quote is "anti-social". Could I ask again for clarification on whether they were referencing a disabled character with this comment? Because there's a huge difference between a referencing a disabled character, and with say a vandal/foul-mouthed bully.

Also, what happened in the programme a) to the maker of the comments, and b) the character referenced? These are also both important factors in working out appropriateness (eg if the maker of the comments got due come-uppance, then could stand as a morality tale), if the anti-social one was taken to task for their unacceptable behaviour, then it's still a morality tale, but with a different focus.

TheFalcon Sat 02-Jul-11 16:39:21

I think kids programmes today are terrible. Whatever happened to gentle childrens programmes like Bagpuss?

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 02-Jul-11 16:42:15

How does 'anti-social freak' relate to somebody with disabilities? I'm sorry OP, but you seem to have picked up the 'discrimination' ball and run with it. It's not discrimination, not to me anyway, and I get really irritated with people grabbing onto any non-pc thing they can and applying a discrimination label willy-nilly. angry

Don't watch/let your children watch television if it bothers you, it's simple.

squeakytoy Sat 02-Jul-11 16:48:45

AS is Autistic Spectrum, not Anti Social.. so yes, YABU if you take offence at this..

onagar Sat 02-Jul-11 17:30:34

It sounds like they are saying being anti-social is a bad thing..

err.. it is isn't it?

I expect next time they will be saying "I'm glad we don't have someone who won't share their toys" will that be a problem too?

Maryz Sat 02-Jul-11 17:42:14

It isn't that - it's the "I'm glad I have a "normal" kid not a freak" that is the problem.

It is the way it is worded, coupled with the fact that a lot of children with SN are called weird freaks hmm.

catchafallingstar Sat 02-Jul-11 17:43:02

All storm in a tea cup if you ask me....
Mine are currently watching loony tunes and sylvester is currently being whacked on the head.....

It's a cartoon..... If you don't approve, don't watch it....

youarekidding Sat 02-Jul-11 17:51:59

I think it was a close to the line the comment.

But they are saying the anti-social freak NOT the kid with social problems. To me the bit about the 'normal kid' seems worse.

Unfortunatly anything said can usually be referred back to something else and be twisted to a disabilist comment. I often hear the expression 'blind as a bat'. For someone who wears glasses and --is blind as a bat!--can't see much without them I could take the same stance iyswim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now