Talk

Advanced search

Just let my daughter out to play unsupervised for first time....

(41 Posts)
shudabinme Sat 02-Jul-11 11:49:59

Need some moral support, it's carnival day in the village, just let my newly 10 year old out with two of her friends on her own for the first time - loads of police about, kids, teachers, parents.... got to learn to let go! aaaaargh......

cory Sat 02-Jul-11 11:51:23

have some wine- it gets easier after the first time

xmyboys Sat 02-Jul-11 11:51:27

I'm sure she'll have a great time. I hope you have put your feet up and having a cup of tea!

usualsuspect Sat 02-Jul-11 11:52:03

She will have a great time

<passes shudabinme a brew>

shudabinme Sat 02-Jul-11 11:55:25

Hanging out the window clutching my mobile... thanks for the brew, daren't do the wine in case of emergency run to hospital/police station/whatever!!! (hyperventilating)

jugglingmug Sat 02-Jul-11 12:02:33

shudabinme - I cant believe you've doe this to me today. I'm now panicking about the DC going out on their own i the future. They are 5.4 and 2 blush

Seriously though, she'll be fine, and so will you.

jade80 Sat 02-Jul-11 12:03:02

She's ten? You've more determination than me if you've supervised playtime every day for ten years!

shudabinme Sat 02-Jul-11 12:06:58

Main road runs through the village, big lorries and we're not too far from Soham...echoes of dread permeated her childhood. Road's closed today

takeonboard Sat 02-Jul-11 12:17:45

I envy you, we are in central london so will never have the safety of closed roads etc but I can imagine exactly how you are feeling............and how releived you will be when she arrives home safely smile
Do try not to worry and enjoy your taste of freedom as much as she will be!

jade80 Sat 02-Jul-11 12:19:35

Fair play to you for keeping her amused for ten years then. I'd have been driven up the wall by my kids by now if they had been/still were supervised t that age! I like being outdoors but wouldn't be up for watching them for hours outside every day. I don't think my parents could have done supervised play for me until that age either- I was out all day at the weekends by age 8/9 either alone or with a friend or two. I think if I had to constantly supervise, my kids wouldn't get more than an hour out during the week and a couple at weekends, sad though that may be.

lovemyskinnyjeans Sat 02-Jul-11 12:42:02

Good for you, it will do her the world of good!

shudabinme Sat 02-Jul-11 12:42:08

Phew, she's back - bloodied knee from falling off her scooter but otherwise unscathed! Her dad's home now too so wine !!

shudabinme Sat 02-Jul-11 12:42:54

Lots and lots of wine...

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Sat 02-Jul-11 12:46:15

I muwt be an awrful ,mother then

dd1 started riding her bike up to tesco when she was 10

single lane, country roads for about 2 miles, tesco is literally right there at the end of the country road

worraliberty Sat 02-Jul-11 12:48:15

Parents have never had it so easy considering we now have mobile phones.

Years ago, you just had to sit and wait for them to get home.

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Sat 02-Jul-11 12:52:25

I remember going out with my fri4ends down a single track lane for about 2 miles into a forest ith a stream at the bottom and spending all day there making rope swing over the stream

we had one watch between us and had to be in for tea

follyfoot Sat 02-Jul-11 12:53:10

10? Blimey we all have very different ideas of parenting dont we?

I get the traffic thing but surely we teach them not to go anywhere near the road?

Ian Huntley is in prison, there are no more stranger murders of children now than in the 70s. Its sad that children are so supervised these days 'just in case' sad

Knackeredmother Sat 02-Jul-11 12:56:49

10? My 4 year old is out playing with her friends. Admittedly in the field at the back of our house and I can hear them.
Not sure I can last till 10!

yearningforthesun Sat 02-Jul-11 13:10:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shudabinme Sat 02-Jul-11 13:16:59

I've been taking the lead also from the other Mums in her class, funnily enough all the boys are allowed out and have been for at least a year; the girls are only just slowly being allowed out - and that's only cos I think we've just realised they're going to be catching the bus to secondary school next year!
She doesn't have a mobile phone yet, doesn't seem bothered either so no pester power.

When I was her age I was a latch key kid....

jade80 Sat 02-Jul-11 13:18:18

So you are all being sexist, then?

NearlySpring Sat 02-Jul-11 13:23:16

I think aged 10 sounds about right- if you know where she is going and it's just local and for a shirt period of time.

My dd is 7 and very sensible. She will hopefuly be ready to go out like this at age 10. Currently she isn't allowed anywhere alone without an adult, except inthe garden of course. We live in SE London, busy roads etc so "playing out" doesn't really exist like it would if we lived in a quiet rural village.

UnauthorisedJam Sat 02-Jul-11 13:29:51

I've recently started letting my 6 year old out unsupervised. But only on the street or to the little park around the corner. We gave him a watch and he has to pop home often. 10 seems a little old to me but I guess we all make different calls with this sort of thing. I know lots of people would consider 6 too young.

NearlySpring Sat 02-Jul-11 13:48:21

6? Yeah definitely too young! 6 is still just a baby. They walk round the corner to the park! I'm shocked. The thought of my 7 year old popping out to the park makes me feel ill.

4madboys Sat 02-Jul-11 13:53:40

well i let my 8 and 6yr old play out in the cul de sac and the 8 yr old also pops to the shop on his own.

my 11 yr old has been going off to town on his own to the cinema or to meet up with friends for over a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now