Talk

Advanced search

To not want to go on holiday with these people?

(9 Posts)
nightowlmostly Sat 02-Jul-11 01:34:57

I'm posting this here because I honestly can't work out whether I'm overthinking this.

I work in a place with a lot of women, mostly in their 30s but single and into clubbing and stuff. I'm married and not really into the same sort of thing. I am quite friendly with a particular group of them, we've worked together for a good few years. The thing is, there's a definite clique going on, which I don't want to be in as some of them I don't like, but two of my closest work friends are in the clique.

They are all going away for two nights and I'm invited. I'm sure I'd have a good time but don't really want to go away with people who I don't like! They've never done anything terrible to me or anything, one I've fallen out with in the past because we just have a personality clash, and another I think is a bit of an attention seeking bitch.

So AIBU to not go because of these people, who make up a couple out of maybe 10? It's not because I think they'd do anything, I would just feel a bit of a hypocrite.

MadYoungCatLady Sat 02-Jul-11 01:37:56

Why would you go away with people you do not like?

madhattershouse Sat 02-Jul-11 01:37:57

If I were you I'd try to get out of it..sight some family reason. But be glad they actually invited you..I bet there are those left out that wish they could get an invite!

AgentZigzag Sat 02-Jul-11 02:02:32

I'm only talking about you because you'd never get me within 10 miles of the two nights away grin but maybe instead of seeing it as a clique you could see it as a close group of friends who want to include you in that group.

It could be a good time for putting the falling out behind you once and for all, she could be totally different outside work (HA! yeah right grin).

So I would say go outside your comfort zone and leave being a mum at home for a couple of days, the worst that could happen is you'll have a reminder of what you've got at home that makes you happy, at best you could have a really fucking great time.

nightowlmostly Sat 02-Jul-11 04:08:42

I don't dislike all of them, just a couple, and two are quite close friends. Also to be honest I don't have many friends after moving city, but I don't know whether a social life with some people I'm not sure about is better than none at all.

I don't have kids actually, we are ttc so maybe I should go now while I still can! I just wish it was easier to meet like minded people, but it seems difficult when you are married, especially to a man who isn't very sociable. It'd be nice to meet some people in the same situation as us, who want to do dinner rather that clubbing. I feel like I'm so starved of a social life that I'll go away with a group that I don't want to be in! People say that you make new friends when you have kids, I hope they're right!

Thanks all.

PenguinArmy Sat 02-Jul-11 04:41:09

My DH isn't social either. I used to go away for on group activities about 12-18, but people splinter into smaller groups (which can be different for night and day activities). If you'll enjoy the activity then go, a group that large you're not going to like everyone and it's easy enough to ignore them.

cjbartlett Sat 02-Jul-11 06:49:55

No I wouldn't go
Do something lovely with the money you'd save instead

ModreB Sat 02-Jul-11 09:40:46

Look at it the other way. This might be a chance to get to know the people that you don't like in a setting other than work. You might find that they are different outside of the work environment.

You also say that you would probably have a good time anyway - so if you still don't like them then just get on with what you do like and spend time with who you like. FGS it's only 2 days, not 2 weeks.

If you don't go you may well be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Scholes34 Sat 02-Jul-11 12:18:49

I think you've already decided you don't want to go, so don't go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now