Talk

Advanced search

To put TV and VHS player in 3 year old DD's room?

(90 Posts)
LauLauLemon Fri 01-Jul-11 23:35:37

DH suggested we put a TV in DD1's room today with a VHS player so she can watch old disney films.

I've always been against it but I found myself thinking it was a good idea and doing it. There's no Freeview or even normal TV channels, just the VHS player and TV.

Too far for a 3 year old? She doesn't watch too much TV but enough that The Princess and the Goblin makes me want to hurl myself into a wall despite it being my childhood favourite.

AIBU?

worraliberty Fri 01-Jul-11 23:39:13

It all depends on if you think she really needs it and if it will keep her awake or not.

My eldest DS had a video in his room because the background noise was a comfort to him and helped him nod off to sleep. Also, he'd wake in the night sometimes...feeling a bit lonely/scared, put it on in the background and nod straight off again.

My other two DS's were closer in age so shared a room and had each other for comfort...therefore they never had one.

MummyTigger Fri 01-Jul-11 23:45:18

Firstly - EPIC TASTE! Not seen The Princess & The Goblin for years. Used to sing the song everywhere I went!

Secondly - I don't think it's unreasonable at all, provided it's moderated and not being watched to excess smile

IHeartKingThistle Fri 01-Jul-11 23:47:02

I wouldn't put a TV in a child's room, but that's just me.

madhattershouse Fri 01-Jul-11 23:47:07

Go for it!! Having 4 dc's the amount of time watching crap disney films cute childrens movies is way too much. Letting them watch in their own room saved my sanity!!

TidyDancer Fri 01-Jul-11 23:47:48

I wouldn't/don't do it. I just don't like the idea of television in such young children's bedrooms. At that age, it should be the aim to limit television viewing, rather than potentially increase it. JMO, but anyway....

(total sympathy WRT the wall hurling though smile)

usualsuspect Fri 01-Jul-11 23:48:08

sounds ok to me

thursday Fri 01-Jul-11 23:48:20

for what purpose? so she can be lulled to sleep by the tv? so that you can put her out of the way with a film so you can watch something else downstairs? the only reason i'd do it was if i had one of those pesty kids who get up at 5am. i would abandon all principles and bribe them to stay in bed/quiet for an hour in those circumstances. in all others i dont understand why a 3yr old (or 4/5/6 tbh) would need their own tv.

FabbyChic Sat 02-Jul-11 00:03:45

My children had TV's in there rooms from age 2, and I used to put Disney videos on when they were going to sleep.

FabbyChic Sat 02-Jul-11 00:04:21

My kids are now 23 and 18 and it never done them any harm.

Meglet Sat 02-Jul-11 00:14:22

I wouldn't. But then again I'm quite fond of cbeebies so don't mind it on all day.

LauLauLemon Sat 02-Jul-11 00:26:56

Both. She's a 5am riser and she gets lulled to sleep by the background noise whereas other times when she's not tired she'll stamd at tje door of her bedroom shouting for me and waking up our seven month old. Most nights she's a treat but others can be challenging.

It's highly unlikely it would be used during the day.

LauLauLemon Sat 02-Jul-11 00:27:57

I apologise regarding my last post. I am tired and on my phone. Spelling errors ahoy!

I wouldn't do it. Electronic things tend to bother me and stop me from sleeping properly so I won't even have an electric alarm clock in our room.

It's surprising how annoying the lights and humming noises or whatever from laptops or TV's on stand-by or charging mobiles etc can be.

I wouldn't put anything like that in LO's room either for that reason, I think they would disturb him more than settle him.

You could see this as a trial run and remove them if it bothers her in any way.

HowlingBitch Sat 02-Jul-11 01:05:05

I was very "No way would I ever put a TV in my 3.11yo DSs room!" until I found myself letting him fall asleep watching TV in my room after reading him 10 stories.

I don't feel any shame in putting a DVD on for DS when the story book hasn't knocked him out especially if it means DP and I have some alone time together at night. YANBU!

itisnearlysummer Sat 02-Jul-11 07:16:07

No I wouldn't do it. But then we only have 1 TV which means we don't have one in our room and 12 year old doesn't have one either.

But that's just my choice!

SheCutOffTheirTails Sat 02-Jul-11 07:21:59

I don't like TVs in bedrooms as a general rule. We don't have one and I would give one to DD1 (3) either.

But I might consider it for a 5am'er. There are few enough things I wouldn't consider for a 5am'er... grin

SilveryMoon Sat 02-Jul-11 07:26:03

I don't have a TV in my ds's room. He is 3.11yrs.
Most of my friends have TV's and DVD/VHS players in their dc's bedrooms, mainly for use at bedtime to get them to go peacefully and calmly. My only worry with this would be that it'd teach them not to go to sleep without a TV on and I personally wouldn't like that.

seeker Sat 02-Jul-11 07:33:06

"It all depends on if you think she really needs it "

How can a3 year old "really need" a TV in her room???

SheCutOffTheirTails Sat 02-Jul-11 07:39:14

How do you go to bed peacefully and calmly with the TV on?

Reading a book, listening to relaxing music, sure. But TV?

Iteotwawki Sat 02-Jul-11 07:50:11

I wouldn't do it but then I don't have a TV in my bedroom either. I would always rather my boys learned to settle themselves and looked at books if they woke early (which they do).

The only time we had a TV in the bedroom was when I was feeding them, gave me something to look at during the 2/4/6am wakeups!

SilveryMoon Sat 02-Jul-11 08:06:44

You know, so they don't kick up a stink about going to bed.
Instead of being told "time to go to bed" and have the dc's scream/whinge that they don't want to go to bed, they are tld that they can go and watch a film

Happymm Sat 02-Jul-11 08:11:10

Think you may be making a rod for your own back. A friend did this at the same age with her DD.Her DD is now 7 and is still up watching DVDs at 10pm, "getting her to sleep" as she now can't get to sleeep without watching the TV. Maybe just using in the am is different but say no to the nighttime watching?

Sirzy Sat 02-Jul-11 08:22:48

Happymam - more fool the mother for not going into the room at what she classes as a reasonable time and turning the tv off then. These things only become a problem if you let them and don't have the rules and limits clearly in place.

scrappydappydoo Sat 02-Jul-11 08:23:25

Another no from me I'm afraid. Whereas I can see the temptation I think it'll lead to problems down the line when she is older. I think its important to have the distinction between bedroom for sleeping, downstairs for playing - I find it easier to switch off tv downstairs and have the 'arguement' there rather than having the temptation of having tv in bedroom and video instead of storytime. Also I would worry about being kept stimulated until late at night and not getting proper nights sleep - 'just one more film mummy'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now