Talk

Advanced search

to think lots of people have ridden a horse before?

(135 Posts)
reastie Fri 01-Jul-11 21:59:10

I know this is random! For some reason DH and I were talking about horse riding ealier and he announced his mum has ridden a horse in a way which implied I should be amazed and impressed. I made some comment about surely lots of people have done this and it wasn't unusual at all, a argument discussion ensued and we both had a stand off as to who is right. So - who is right? Am I being very middle class and showing my country-ish upbringing by assuming it's normal that people would have been on a horse or is he right ? He is convinced he'll win this hmm

biddysmama Fri 01-Jul-11 22:01:03

ive ridden a horse around snowden, when i was younger smile ive ridden a few times and my grandma used to have a horse,im in lancashire so we are kind of in the country

Hulababy Fri 01-Jul-11 22:02:03

I have ridden a horse once, on a school outdoor activities type residential. Would have been about 13y or so. Was not a middle class school by any stretch of the imagination.

9y DD has had a three or four pony rides if that counts.

Awomancalledhorse Fri 01-Jul-11 22:02:36

I'm an innner city Londoner & we had horse riding lessons at my (state!) school, so your DH is the odd one.
Asked my DH, he's from the countryside and he's not ridden a horse shock

Vroomfondel Fri 01-Jul-11 22:03:32

i did a few times when i was a teenager. not since. although i do quite fancy the idea of being horsey.

Vroomfondel Fri 01-Jul-11 22:03:55

would imagine most people have at least sat on one at some point?

LaurieFairyCake Fri 01-Jul-11 22:04:18

I don't know anyone that hasn't ridden a horse

Not middle class upbringing, yes to some time in the country

Age makes a difference though, lots of youngsters won't have but I think people of 40 will have

Hebrewlass Fri 01-Jul-11 22:04:26

I had a jockey as a bf but I have never ridden a horse. I dont like them.

fivegomadindorset Fri 01-Jul-11 22:05:12

Well I love in the country and most of the people I knoe have never sat on a horse and neither have their children.

fivegomadindorset Fri 01-Jul-11 22:05:23

Sorry -live-

Empusa Fri 01-Jul-11 22:05:48

Honestly I barely know anyone who has ridden a horse.

Apart from my cousins who are horse obsessed.

Thruaglassdarkly Fri 01-Jul-11 22:06:30

Nope, never sat on one in my life and I live in a village.

eurochick Fri 01-Jul-11 22:06:44

I'm a Londoner and rode horses a few times as a kid (pony trekking on holiday). I tried it once as an adult but was frankly horrified by the lack of safety and turned back after a few hundred yards (mangy, twitchy horse, loose saddle, no hats, stirrups not adjusted so I couldn't reach them properly - this was Cuba - they just stuck us on the horses and started off before we could protest!)

herladyship Fri 01-Jul-11 22:06:44

Have competed at county level showjumping (preens)

Both dc ride, dh had never been on a horse until age 41 when we went pony trekking on hols in Devon.. He says it was the first & last time grin

shakey1500 Fri 01-Jul-11 22:07:36

Another one who's never even sat on a horse here. Would give it a go though smile

AgentZigzag Fri 01-Jul-11 22:08:13

I used to go horse riding in my teens.

But I don't reckon asking MN will answer your question because only people who have ridden a horse are going to bother answering aren't they?

But you win just because you're the one asking smile <<flicks Vs at reasties DH>>

Bring your victory up at every opportunity won't you?

leafbird Fri 01-Jul-11 22:09:08

i have two horses, both my boys ride,my husband has only ridden a few times as hes not interested.i grew up in the countryside where we all had ponys.

southeastastra Fri 01-Jul-11 22:09:44

i know someone that once knew someone who sat on a horse once at butlins

AgentZigzag Fri 01-Jul-11 22:10:10

Oh, posters saying they haven't.

That's bollocksed up my theory then grin

(you're still right though)

Sarsaparilllla Fri 01-Jul-11 22:10:18

I don't think it's uncommon for people to have ridden a horse at least once, I think most people will have at least sat on a horse, I think your DH is wrong smile

I did when I was younger but I didn't like it so didnt bother again, but my dad and sister quite often used to go for a day horse riding when we were on holiday (UK, self catering type places) and we're in no way whatsoever middle-class smile

AMumInScotland Fri 01-Jul-11 22:10:25

I have a picture of me stuck on the back of one when I was about 3, but I wouldn't count that as having ridden one in any meaningful way. 40s middle-class townie, but lots of holidays in the country.

dwpanxt Fri 01-Jul-11 22:10:51

Never ridden a horse,sat on one nor even been up close to one.Dont think I'm unusual for my area.Firmly working class,suburb dweller. wink

usualsuspect Fri 01-Jul-11 22:11:12

I've been on a Donkey on Skeggy Beach

beanlet Fri 01-Jul-11 22:13:42

My grandmother bred horses, and my dad taught us all to ride competently when we were children. Grew up in Australia though, so don't know that that helps you much.

thisisyesterday Fri 01-Jul-11 22:13:59

lol you are right!

i am sure there are plenty of people who have never ridden a horse, but i would imagine that prett ymuch everyone KNOWS someone who has ridden one

it's hardly flying a hot air balloon is it

or maybe his mum was riding a bucking bronco in a rodeo? that would be quite impressive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now