Talk

Advanced search

Sorry, but swimming lessons getting my goat AGAIN....

(31 Posts)
Wallace Fri 01-Jul-11 21:30:51

Ds2 (age4) is a very able swimmer (swimming teachers words not mine) but is still in a beginners swimming class until he "gets used to the structure".

In other words he doesn't listen and follow instructions consistently so fair enough that they keep him with the beginners.

However today at swimming lessons they were doing distance badges. The only ones they expect them to do at ds's class are 5/10 metres with a float. He came out of the lesson with a slip of paper saying he did 5m without a float with lots of !!!! and smilesmile

Which would be great however he has done 25metres when swimming with me and n his parent and toddler lessons which are part of the same scheme he did 15m and he has the bloody badge sewn to his swimming shorts hmm

I'm afraid I did struggle to be happy and surprised that he had done his 5m badge.

Now I've got that off my chest I will stop whinging again smile

WhipMeIndiana Fri 01-Jul-11 21:33:51

heehee can't you talk to them to move him up? bet he'd respond to structure better if he was a bit challenged?

GreenTeapot Fri 01-Jul-11 21:36:53

Hi Wallace. smile

That all sounds a bit hmm - sounds like you've had other problems too? It doesn't seem like he'll gain much from the lessons if they don't challenge him at all. Well done to him for his achievements though!

Where do you go for the lessons? We've just enrolled DS in the council scheme to start in August ...

itisnearlysummer Fri 01-Jul-11 21:42:59

I can really get why this is frustrating for you, but if they have to be sure that he does follow the instructions properly/consistently can you find out what he is having difficulty with and practice these yourself with him?

I'm guessing you've looked elsewhere, but are there really no other lessons? Round by us, there are several independent swim schools that hire school swimming pools to give lessons as well as the council run one.

Wallace Fri 01-Jul-11 21:43:25

Hi green - it is the CMcL one.

They are good swimming teachers and the only problem I have had is that when he started in may they said after the first lesson that he needed to be moved up. Then changed their minds a couple of weeks later.

So he is doing the same sort of stuff that he was doing in the parent and toddler classes (which we only went to to jump the waiting list for the "proper" lessons blush)

II do wonder if he would respond to the challenge of being in with the big kids but it is their call so I will just not say anything (I don'y like to make a fussblush) and carry on taking him myself.

I reckon by the time he moves up a class he will be happily swimming 50m!

Wallace Fri 01-Jul-11 21:51:50

itisnearlysummer - you are right it is frustrating but I do understand so I will just go with what they say.

It is summer holidays now anyway, so plenty of fun swimming over the holidays. The next block of swimming goes from August to November so by assessment time in November I'm sure he will have matured a bit (starts school in August).

Marshy Fri 01-Jul-11 22:01:14

I'm not sure why you have him in swimming lessons when he can swim 25m at 4yrs?

Wallace Fri 01-Jul-11 22:15:34

Marshy - so he can learn the strokes eventually

Greenteapot - should also say that ds1 and dd also go to the same swimming lessons and I have no complaints whatsoever smile.

GreenTeapot Fri 01-Jul-11 22:18:18

That would irk me immensely actually. But then I guess teaching swimming is different to teaching something academic and they presumably need to be certain the child is able to concentrate and follow instructions for safety reasons. But it is a bit rubbish if he's effectively being held back sad

You must be really proud of him though!

GreenTeapot Fri 01-Jul-11 22:20:49

cross posted. They're generally spoken highly of so we're looking forward to them smile

Wallace Fri 01-Jul-11 22:22:06

I am proud of him sometimes grin

Actually I think I have just figured out the problem - when I take him swimming I use bribery to get him to swim, I guess there are no sweets on offer at swimming lessons grin

Marshy Fri 01-Jul-11 22:22:31

Perhaps you should try a few 1:1 lessons, then it will be at his pace. I did this with my DC, but that was because they didn't like group lessons and were scared of the water. They are little dolphins now, well biggish ones really smile

Carrotsandcelery Fri 01-Jul-11 22:26:02

Similar stuff goes on at our swimming lessons.

Over the years I have realised that they are working to very strict criteria though and my dd has progressed to be an excellent swimmer so my frustrations were unfounded. (I am not suggesting yours are too btw, I am just sharing my experiences.)

I was pleased that she could get herself across the pool but they were looking for a secure, safe, consistent crossing of the pool to move them up.

At the end of the day you need to know that your son is the best swimmer that he can be and will be as safe as possible in any water related situation.

In that case I say don't rush it. Let them make sure he ticks every box before they move him on.

DarftApeth Fri 01-Jul-11 22:43:04

I agree with Marshy, see if he can do 1:1 lessons. If they are more expensive, he could probably do fewer if them and still get more benefit.

It seems as though you are wasting your money at the moment

TheMitfordsMaid Fri 01-Jul-11 22:49:14

From the other side, my son is also 4 and has lessons. However, his class is full of kids who won't listen, mess around and the poor teacher spends quite a bit of the lesson sorting them out at the expense of actually teaching. Everyone would get far more swimming done if the children behaved. I wish the children in my son's class were kept down until they were able to behave!

Marshy Fri 01-Jul-11 23:10:11

It was more expensive, but some of the best money i've spent on the DC - it pays dividends every time they go on a watersport type trip with school, and every holiday, when they can enjoy the water with confidence.

MerylStrop Fri 01-Jul-11 23:19:38

You know what, it sounds like he's just not ready for the the lessons they provide.
I'd give it a break for a while until he is because you are wasting your money and time. Or as I think another poster has suggested, get some. one to one sessions for the time being

mercibucket Fri 01-Jul-11 23:24:36

agree - save yourself some money and just take him swimming yourself for another year or two then he can just join the higher class and start from there when he's more ready

Wallace Sat 02-Jul-11 09:14:00

I don't think he messes around to the extent that he disrupts the class. he is the youngest as the lessons are for school age and he was allowed to start early. After the holidays there will probably be more younger ones and he will look an angel in comparison smile Plus the lessons don't really cost me anything so i will continue to send him.

Can't afford 1:1 but will continue doing loads of fun swimming with him.

TheMitfordsMaid Sat 02-Jul-11 09:29:31

Does he start school in September? His attention span might improve then. At my son's swimming lesson they concentrate on stroke development rather than distance, so my 4 year old is doing all four strokes, dives, jumps, treads water, and some basic safety training. To do that, the children need to be ready to listen to the teacher's instructions.

My 2 year old is ready to move on in theory from the mother and baby class but it is pointless as he isn't ready yet to learn. However, if he is enjoying the class, keep at it, but don't push to moce him on.

Wallace Sat 02-Jul-11 14:44:09

He does start school this year, so I'm sure it will. I like the sound of your son's lessons, my ds's don't really concentrate on strokes yet, more confidence and the grounding for learning the strokes.

Wallace Sat 02-Jul-11 19:59:56

Went swimming today and ds showed me what he learnt at swimming lessons this week...

Doggy paddle!!! shock

They did have a different teacher this week, mind you, who maybe doesn't know that the last thing ds needs is to be taught doggy paddle...

glassescase Sat 02-Jul-11 20:23:19

Why stress. It doesn't really matter in the end. If you are not happy, take hinm out, it's not meant to be competitive.

Wallace Sat 02-Jul-11 20:31:23

Don't worry, just letting off steam here.

I wish he was learning the strokes etc, but he isn't so I just let them get on with it.

he is only 4.

carocaro Sat 02-Jul-11 21:11:37

Christ woman leave them to it, they know what they are doing, you sounds incredibly pushy and blinkered to boot, he's 4 FGS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now