Talk

Advanced search

To do the Junior Maths Challenge myself?

(60 Posts)
Amaretti Fri 01-Jul-11 12:16:44

DS1 is in year 7 and recently obtained a gold certificate in the junior maths challenge. I was pretty impressed, and decided to have a go myself to see how hard it was. Turns out it's not actually that hard grin

Anyone else up for it? The link is below, you can't spend more than an hour on it and read the mark scheme before you start, as you can lose marks for answering the later questions incorrectly.

www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/b_file.php?id=381

Go on- give it a try?

worraliberty Fri 01-Jul-11 12:21:21

I'd rather shit in my hands and clap

grin

WowOoo Fri 01-Jul-11 12:23:31

I'm saving it for later so i can concentrate fully. Thanks for sharing.

I very much doubt that I will think it's easy!

Amaretti Fri 01-Jul-11 15:10:07

Come on, I thought we were all intellectuals on here?

Anyone else?

I scored 110 out of 135 which puts me in the top 5% of twelve year olds in the country [ grin]

And I've done no maths since A level 20 years ago.

LRDTheFeministNutcase Fri 01-Jul-11 15:13:25

Crikey, you're nice ... hmm

Amaretti Fri 01-Jul-11 15:21:20

Twelve year olds, LRD, twelve year olds. It's not really a claim to fame grin

LRDTheFeministNutcase Fri 01-Jul-11 15:25:36

Seriously?!

This is your own child and your response is 'it's not really a claim to fame'. confused

I'm sure it's not, but I'm equally sure you didn't have to piss all over his success either. You come across as a right charmer.

Amaretti Fri 01-Jul-11 15:33:36

No no no no you misunderstand. I have said nothing to him other than to praise his success. He is at school. I am on here. I thought others might find the paper interesting, as I did.

It is no great achievement for me to be in the top 5 % of twelve year olds. I am an adult.

Now, are you having a go at the paper or not?!

mayorquimby Fri 01-Jul-11 15:34:04

Yup cause I'm sure in real life she responded with "so what? come talk to me when you've got a double first from cambridge. How dare you bring that weak shit into my house. Gold star in the junior maths challenge? pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourself for thinking I'd care."

OracleInaCoracle Fri 01-Jul-11 15:36:22

ah, the curse of AIBU... everyone thinks that the title of the board gives them the right to jump to conclusions and be aggressive!

LRDTheFeministNutcase Fri 01-Jul-11 15:43:14

I'm sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion. blush

I thought what you were getting at was that it was too easy a paper and not really a challenge for 12 year olds.

I'm really sorry I got that wrong - FWIW I thought getting a gold was really good and I wanted to be saying 'go, Amaretti's DS'.

Maybe we can ignore my posts and pretend I just wrote 'GO, AMARETTI'S DS'?

mayorquimby Fri 01-Jul-11 15:45:59

done and done. grin

Amaretti Fri 01-Jul-11 15:58:35

It most definitely is a challenge for twelve year olds, it's a challenge for us too, but it's doable. I found it interesting. I am far too scared to attempt the intermediate one though, I didn't even understand the notes on the website about what was included!

LRDTheFeministNutcase Fri 01-Jul-11 16:03:40

I'm really sorry Amaretti.

FWIW I think they're really good tests - much more interesting than boring old GCSE-type questions. I know people who're very dismissive of them and think they're not 'proper' maths and I don't get why - other than that they're not deadly serious but usually jokey questions that are quite nice.

Amaretti Fri 01-Jul-11 16:07:55

Oh thanks, please don't worry, my posting style is overly brief I know, so I am easily misinterpreted. I really want you to have a look at it but I bet you're going to say you're a maths teacher or something now!

WowOoo Fri 01-Jul-11 16:12:12

I'm not a maths teacher but I'm still going to try it later when kids in bed pre wine.
Or perhaps tomorrow...!

Where are the answers by the way? How can I mark it? Or are they at the bottom?

LadyThumb Fri 01-Jul-11 16:21:44

I was lost at integers! We didn't have them in my day!!!

nickelbabe Fri 01-Jul-11 16:24:16

how do you get the answers?

nickelbabe Fri 01-Jul-11 16:24:46

LadyThumb - an interger just means a whole number.
so 3 is an integer, 3.5 isn't.

hugglymugly Fri 01-Jul-11 16:36:09

nickelbabe - go to www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/, scroll down and you'll see the link for the Junior challenge solutions.

I've printed the questions and solutions off for perusal later on.

Amaretti Fri 01-Jul-11 16:47:21

Yes, just scroll down. The link I gave is to this year's question paper which was taken in May.

LRDTheFeministNutcase Fri 01-Jul-11 16:52:46

grin

Not a maths teacher, no! Proud owner of a C grade at AS maths ... I got a silver the same year, my teacher was a bit pissed off.

I've been reading the thread in news about Michael Gove talking about maths, that's all ... it is making me want to go hug all teachers (except the twats going on about 'low standards').

TrilllianAstra Fri 01-Jul-11 16:55:08

I'd probably do worse than I did when I was 12 - I may still have certificates somewhere smile

I don't have an hour that I want to spend doing maths, sorry.

nickelbabe Fri 01-Jul-11 16:56:11

i got 2 wrong in the first set. because i misunderstood question 9 (i thought it meant in the numbers quoted, where the diffference between 4 and 5 was the smallest blush )
and 11, because i 'm a bit dim.

Shouldn't have done the 2nd set becausei attempted4 and only got 1 right.
i didn't attempt part 3.

Amaretti Fri 01-Jul-11 16:56:25

Was that a silver in the Senior one? That's really impressive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now