Talk

Advanced search

Am I being unreasonable to expect consistent temperature readings from an ear thermometer?

(6 Posts)
LoopyLoo5 Fri 01-Jul-11 12:10:13

I have just bought an ear thermometer which suggests,as a new user, you take 3 readings consecutively to get a correct temperature reading.I got readings that varied by 4 degrees even though I used the exact same technique! wtf?! my son went from a high temperature to normal in 1minute. Am I doing it wrong or are ear thermometers a waste of money?! How am I supposed to know if it's accurate or not?! confused

WhenCanISleep Fri 01-Jul-11 12:14:36

Arghhh!! This has happened to me with two expensive ear thermometers...last time DD was ill it said her temp was 34.6, later I took her to GP to be told her temp was 38. tbh I suspect that they just don't work hmm. Now rely on the how hot does child feel and how grumpy/grouchy/sleepy are they - not exactly science, but guess it's what people did in the past!

Seeline Fri 01-Jul-11 12:15:18

I agree - the range is astounding. Often taking a temp in a different ear, seconds later will also give a huge divergence. It is difficult to work out what the actual temp is! I much prefer the old mercury under the tongue method but it's probably illegal now grin

greencolorpack Fri 01-Jul-11 12:17:10

AIBU to think this is not an AIBU thread??? It could go in Health or the newly created and much talked about ear-thermometer discussion board.

Only joking.

Isn't this the thread topic for proper arguments? Just saying.

Tuppenyrice Fri 01-Jul-11 12:20:00

Took the baby to the Docs t'other day she told me they don't use in ear thermometers anymore only armpit ones due to inaccuracies

LoopyLoo5 Fri 01-Jul-11 12:32:27

Thanks everyone. Back to the armpit thermometers and hand on head methods it is then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now