Talk

Advanced search

to really wonder if any MNetters have been a freegan?

(5 Posts)
OscarLove Fri 01-Jul-11 10:37:41

Yesterday I passed the convenience store near my home. It's one of a nationwide chain who also has big supermarkets, and the bin outside was filled with clear plastic bags, so much so that the lid wouldn't shut. Inside the bags were packets of food, crisps etc that were unopened. I swear that if there wasn't a cctv camera trained on the door, and probably the bins which are near the door, I would've taken them home. All that bloody waste!

While waiting for my bus at the bus stop which is outside a well known bakery, each night at closing time I see a member of staff tip everything from the cake, pasty and bread trays into a bin bag. It is like a whole black bin bag full of waste (or maybe they send it to the pigs), who knows? But one particularly hard week financially when I was sick of cup a soups, I went to the bakery after dark, went round the rear of the store and I swear I was going to go in the bins to see if the waste was there, but the bins were locked away sad

Has anyone ever done this and successfully recovered some nice items from the bin?

DonWimble Fri 01-Jul-11 19:57:15

I would like to do this at our local coop but the buggers lock the bins. It is a crime what gets thrown away

yearningforthesun Fri 01-Jul-11 21:01:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuePurblybilt Fri 01-Jul-11 21:07:24

I've taken stuff from work (in me yoof, in food shops) and loads of non food items from bin piles and skips. Not freegan though.

OscarLove Fri 01-Jul-11 21:53:25

It's crazy that I started this thread, and then afterwards I was at the shop and the door into the back of the shop was open and on a whiteboard it said 'last weeks takings' - it was in the tens of thousands of pounds, then below it 'last weeks food and drink wastage' - £652.00...I guess that's the amount of food thrown away...absolutely outrageous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now