Talk

Advanced search

we spent a fortune to send Kate and billy over to a foreign country to smile and wave

(25 Posts)
GabbyLoggon Fri 01-Jul-11 09:33:34

Are the government off their rockers. Kate and her mate would be better here doing some real work

Why is it assumed that we are all rich backside lickers. ? All prefer to be SUBJECTS rather than people. That is a wrong assumption Dave Camerooney, Tory PM....Grow up

Wow! So much ignorance all on one thread!

Rosebud05 Fri 01-Jul-11 09:53:11

I was just thinking that this was one of Gabby's better ones.

GabbyLoggon Fri 01-Jul-11 09:55:28

Did you donate ,Purple, to Charlie boys increased demand on your taxes? Or are you a hidden republican. (More like a publican in your wretched case)

are you wearing the right badge "I have been bollocked by Gabby" Left lapel please

PatientGriselda Fri 01-Jul-11 09:57:22

Public diplomacy is work, dearie. It's something that the country benefits from, so we spend money to make it happen. If we didn't benefit, we wouldn't spend it.

sue52 Fri 01-Jul-11 09:59:04

I can't think why Canadians want to hang on to the monarchy. Kate's hair looks nice though, I wonder how much it costs the taxpayer to keep it so shiny.

MerylStrop Fri 01-Jul-11 10:00:04

I think they are doing great PR for us actually. Lots of teeth and hair, big smiles and a nice line in Erdem frocks.

I can say that even though I'm a republican at heart.

GabbyLoggon Fri 01-Jul-11 10:02:44

we are just acting like serfs, chavs and servants. Get off you plucking knees.

GabbyLoggon Fri 01-Jul-11 10:03:34

After all it is bank balances you are worshipping not Kate and Billy.

LadyThumb Fri 01-Jul-11 10:52:49

No different to a game of golf - it's called networking.

GabbyLoggon Fri 01-Jul-11 10:59:15

women do a lot of that now. Female Masons. iffy or what?

SybilBeddows Fri 01-Jul-11 11:06:03

well you know Gabby I am normally all for the abolition of the royal family (anachronism, we will never be a true democracy with a hereditary head of state, etc) but even I think they are potentially an asset in promoting British brands and these two seem to be doing a good job.
basically they are very valuable free advertising for British luxury brands, and since luxury brands are increasingly important to our economy, I guess we have to put up with them for now.

Tchootnika Fri 01-Jul-11 11:10:56

'free advertising'? They're fucking expensive.

SybilBeddows Fri 01-Jul-11 11:21:44

yes, they are expensive to produce and maintain but then we can place them in primetime tv slots all over the world without paying a penny for the advertising space!

Tchootnika Fri 01-Jul-11 11:23:25

I just don't think they command all that much respect, tbh, Sybil.
Passing interest, maybe, but not respect... (I mean, why would they?)

GabbyLoggon Fri 01-Jul-11 11:25:32

iTS AN EXCUSE FOR A PARTY. rOYALS HAVE NO INTENTION OF MIXING WITH PEOPLE. sNOBBY SET

SybilBeddows Fri 01-Jul-11 11:28:33

I don't think Charles and Camilla command much of anything but William is unobjectionable and Kate is seen as stylish.

LtEveDallas Fri 01-Jul-11 11:30:35

The Royal Family cost each British Taxpayer 69p per year. Less than a pint of milk.

They bring in more revenue than they cost.

Problem?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 01-Jul-11 11:32:21

Oh Gabby.... finished that wordsearch again? Bit bored? Thought you'd come on MN and show off to all your lady friends with a bit of garbled vitriol? Did you know we netted an extra £600k from Prince Charles this year in tax? Surprised you didn't pick that up because it was in the Telegraph and everything... hmm

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 01-Jul-11 11:33:45

BTW... you may be on your 'plucking knees' in front of the Royal Family but the rest of us certainly aren't. Good heavens man, get up! Where's your self-respect?

PastyKensit Fri 01-Jul-11 11:40:24

"Kate's hair looks nice though, I wonder how much it costs the taxpayer to keep it so shiny"

Dunno, but it's worth every penny smile

Bue Fri 01-Jul-11 11:44:18

Erm, I think you'll find the Canadian government is footing the entire bill for this trip. They even flew them over on one of their own jets.

Tchootnika Fri 01-Jul-11 12:30:46

Eurgh, that's another thing. Don't get me started on private jets.

TimeWasting Fri 01-Jul-11 12:38:35

William will be their King one day too you know.

GabbyLoggon Fri 01-Jul-11 14:31:57

so what you creepy whatsit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now