Talk

Advanced search

to want to take short cuts on 5 year old party?

(12 Posts)
doobydo Thu 30-Jun-11 23:42:36

DS party is imminent and there are around 20 kids coming though possibly up to 30 as some of the parents have still not replied. Have given little thought to it as so busy at work at the moment. Have booked party entertainer, hall and sorted cake. But now need to do food and party gifts.

What is the average spend on party bag stuff? Can simple food - sausages, sausage rolls, crisps, grapes and cakes/biscuits - be enough for a mid afternoon party? I dont really want to do loads of sandwiches as I just think they don't get eaten. Am conscious of time and cost at the moment.

aquafunf Thu 30-Jun-11 23:46:12

do twice as many sausages as you will think you need and half the sarnies

avoid party bags- do a lucky dip as they leave- that way as long as you have chucked 40 cheap books in there, there will be enough- peice of cake in one sticky paw and lucky dip in the other as they leave. cant go wrong.

worraliberty Thu 30-Jun-11 23:53:57

That's such good advice from aqua...honestly half the sarnies and twice the sausages really is the way to go grin

Also, some frozen shite from Iceland seems quite popular...mini pizzas and the like.

Party bags...just fill with Poundland crap and add a balloon in each one.

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Jul-11 00:04:44

loads of sausages. Minimal amount of simple sandwiches. Crisps of various sorts. Cheesy biscuits, maybe? Shop at Tesco/Aldi/Asda - also good places to look for party bag stuff if you are short of time. 2 ways to go - several small things or the lucky dip approach. I don't know what average spend is as I try not to add up the scary amount of money I end up spending.

doobydo Fri 01-Jul-11 00:05:52

IF I work on 25 kids - how many rounds of jam sandwiches should I make. Will just get loads of sausages and will see if I can use the ovens at the hall for some pizza - grown ups might like that too.

poundland seem to have a lot of bubble mix and outside game stuff at the moment. perhaps one of those each would be enough with a packet of sweets

worraliberty Fri 01-Jul-11 00:14:39

I'd say work on 2 or 3 little triangles each of jam and ham (not mixed!) And the shite mini pizzas are normally served cold anyway.

worraliberty Fri 01-Jul-11 00:16:02

I have to say...none of my kids have ever come away from a party saying "Mum, the food was wonderful" It's usually the entertainment, cake and party bag they're interested in.

MardyBra Fri 01-Jul-11 00:16:42

Chuck in a few grapes and sliced cucumber to appease the food nazis. Peeling carrots = a step too far.

worraliberty Fri 01-Jul-11 00:21:36

Oh and as the kids are under 21, you'd better cut the grapes in half too grin

LordOfTheFlies Fri 01-Jul-11 00:40:32

Sandwiches- cheese, ham, jam. Cut into tiny triangles,they look prettier.
Crisps in big plastic bowls
Chocolate crisy cakes are cheap/easy to make.
Sqash,ribena,water
Cherry tomatoes
French bread and butter
Mini sauages

IMHO party bags are a must children feel conned without. Small toy, a balloon, lollipop, mini Haribo bags, those little gold medals, mini packs pencils

Napkins, plates, cups, straws.
Don't forget your binbags!

We bought a pinata for my DDs 5th, that was well received, though by the time you buy and fill it its quite pricy!

NettoSuperstar Fri 01-Jul-11 00:47:40

Do the boxes, one for each kid, plus 10 for unexpected ones.

One sausage roll, one cheese sarnie triangle, small handful crisps, few cut grapes, one party ring, two choc fingers.
Have jugs of squash, orange and blackcurrant, and plain water. Job's a good 'un.
Remember, that whilst it's really important to you to get the exact type of butter on the right type of bread sandwich right, to the kids, it's just another party, they'll have fun, but will forget the exact type of butter, on the right type of bread, two minutes after they've eaten it.

piprabbit Fri 01-Jul-11 00:48:28

Are you planning to put some birthday cake in the part bags?

If so, buy a large cheapish cake and cut it, wrap it and put it in the bags before the party starts.

Then buy a smaller decorated cake for doing the whole candles/singing thing. The family get to enjoy the nice cake at home.

Don't try and do the candles/singing and cutting/wrapping/bagging all in the last 10mins of the party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now