Talk

Advanced search

to think that newspaper shouldn't be printed this sort of story

(7 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Thu 30-Jun-11 21:54:54

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13955516

i tend to speak alot to my sister's 14 year old friends, and some do read the newspapers (as they say it where you get the best celeb gossip) and some gets the metro.

well this story was in the metro today, and some of my sister friends now want to start smoking to stay thin.

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 30-Jun-11 21:55:20

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13955516

knobbysEx Thu 30-Jun-11 22:00:08

Just tell them that's because cancer makes you very, very thin. As does death.

CharlieCoCo Fri 01-Jul-11 00:24:17

well i dont smoke and im thin, same with my mum. friends and family who do smoke are overweight though-im not linking it just making an observation-so i dont think thenstory holds much weight. i agree with the poster above, say its the cancer that makes u thin.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 01-Jul-11 06:15:44

I smoke a lot. I am gigantor and wobbly.

ObiWan Fri 01-Jul-11 08:03:55

Absolutely. It would be a much better idea to bury any scientific investigations that you don't like the sound of (no one has ever thought of using a super injunction for that sort of thing before, have they?).

It's far too much like hard work to encourage people to take a more considerd approach to what they are reading.

Most 14 year olds I know are up to debate almost anything, especially if it seems to set them against the 'establishment' position.
Try introducing your 14 year old aqaintances to the marketing strategies used by tobacco companies in the developing world. It will open up a whole new argument to them.

Stropzilla Fri 01-Jul-11 09:05:43

I don't smoke, I'm fat. I used to smoke, and was fat then too. What makes you thin is not eating like a piggy and getting off your lardy arse and excersising. Oops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now