Talk

Advanced search

To think that THIS is why I have been avoiding dentists?

(15 Posts)
CubiksRube Thu 30-Jun-11 21:52:18

I know I am BU. I know! But I am seized up with fear and just want to RUN AWAY or at least hide in a corner drinking lots of wine until it doesn't seem so bad ...

made my first visit to the dentist in 10 years today. I know! Last time I went they did two fillings without anaesthetic (evil, evil childhood dentist), hence my fear.

Today, the dentist takes one look at my teeth and says, "geez, you should have had a brace as a kid ... let's try and fit you for one, eh, get rid of that irregularity". Arsehole.

He then tells me I need two fillings. This I was expecting, it has been 10 years after all. And I ALSO have an impacted wisdom tooth which will need to be pulled out as there's no room and it's giving me an infection. AND I need a nightguard because I grind my teeth in my sleep. I had no idea.

From being blissfully unaware, I now have to have a wisdom tooth removed, a nightguard and braces. Sigh.

TrilllianAstra Thu 30-Jun-11 21:56:22

Well done for going!

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 30-Jun-11 21:59:27

My only thought would be the expense :-0
A brace is v expensive is it not?

BornInAfrica Thu 30-Jun-11 22:02:57

Good for you. I am ashamed to say I am too frightened after a horrendous experience with a dentist nearly 20 years ago! I don't know how to get over it either.

CubiksRube Thu 30-Jun-11 22:03:07

I was shaking before I went in, TrillianAstra. blush Must say though, dentistry is far slicker than it was a decade ago.

Yes, a brace is indeed expensive, which the dentist sort of skimmed over in the initial check-up. And apparently the NHS only does cosmetic dentistry for under-18s. Hmmm. Thing is, now he's mentioned it I do feel paranoid about how they look, having not cared since forever.

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 30-Jun-11 22:04:30

well done for going.

LetThereBeRock Thu 30-Jun-11 22:05:08

Please find another dentist if you're not happy with this one,don't use him. You'll only feed your fears,besides he does sound rude and as though he intends to get as much money out of you as possible re the brace.

Well done for facing your fears,I've had to do the same recently,and it's not easy,but because I've found the right dentist, the procedures I've had so far have been a breeze,well almost,I'm still nervous,but I feel completely relaxed once I'm in the chair.

I hope that you too can find the perfect dentist.

LetThereBeRock Thu 30-Jun-11 22:06:43

He should have at least discussed the brace with you,particuarly considering the expense,and not just told you that you need one when it's likely to be a cosmetic procedure in your case.

CubiksRube Thu 30-Jun-11 22:07:39

BorninAfrica, so sorry you had a negative experience too. It can be really traumatic can't it? Something about people poking around in your mouth ...

If it helps, they did seem more gentle than I remember ten years ago, and more patient-focussed. Also, I explained on the phone that I was a nervous patient and he did take the time to try and chat to me. Slightly stilted but he tried! grin

ddubsgirl Thu 30-Jun-11 22:10:24

well done,i had the same as a kid,filling and nothing to numb sad now i have to be sedated,last time i went just check up and a clean i came out with a spilt lip and my teeth wobbled for a few weeks after sad havent been back since.

CubiksRube Thu 30-Jun-11 22:10:41

Letthereberock, well done for conquering your own dentist fears! Glad you're now a happy dentist user smile

You're quite right, he should have explained more re the brace. I will be going back for my fillings soon and will have a more detailed conversation with him then.

I'm happy to keep going to him for now, and see how it goes. They're so close to home and nursery ... that's how the decisions get made these days!

BluddyMoFo Thu 30-Jun-11 22:12:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mickeyjohn Thu 30-Jun-11 22:12:28

I have just been to the dentist for the first time in 8 years - so almost as bad as you!! I have wonky teeth - my front one overlaps the one next to it quite a lot but the nice dentist didn't even mention it! TBH at 35 I am past caring...unless it was free, pain free and instant I wouldn't want a brace now as i can't be bothered with the hassle. You don't HAVE to have one - find out how much it is first! If you werent bothered before then you don't have to do it!! Well done for going though - I needed 3 fillings so you're doing better than me!!!!

CubiksRube Thu 30-Jun-11 22:17:20

Sounds like there used to be quite a few dentists who just waded in without anaesthetic angry

mickeyjohn, well done you! Yes, I'd have preferred he just didn't mention it. It makes no odds to me and isn't a health hazard or anything! Your dentist sounds like a lovely person. Unless I win the lottery, the brace aint going to happen.

Just looking forward to the wisdom tooth extraction now ... wine wine wine

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 30-Jun-11 22:24:36

You don't have to have a brace. It's not compulsory. Agree with mickeyjohn.

My teeth are very higgledy-piggledy, I had a brace as a teenager but it didn't really work. Dentist never mentions it.

I've had fillings with no anaesthetic, I actually don't mind those as much as the hideous scrapy thing that the hygienist / torturer uses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now