Talk

Advanced search

To think my friend is an utter loon?

(128 Posts)
Piggyleroux Thu 30-Jun-11 21:04:21

Prob should be in baby names, but need urgent help.

my best friend whom I've known since I was 12, is currently pg with her second child due next month. She already has an eight yo dd and this second child is a long time coming.

The issue is, her taste in names is truly shocking. Her dd is called Phatone, pronounced fertony, making her dd the brunt of some very cruel jokes at school. Her dd has already told me that as soon as she is 16 she plans on changing it.

Anyway, my friend calls me tonight to tell me that her and her dh have two names they like (they are having a boy)

Gryphon or Tedber.

Please, please dear mumsnetters, for the love of god, please make her see sense. (I told her I would post this on , she fully consents to canvass opinions grin )

TidyDancer Thu 30-Jun-11 21:07:45

You are bloody kidding, right? YANBU in the slightest!

peggotty Thu 30-Jun-11 21:08:53

I bet she's called Betty or Linda or something isn't she hmm Her poor bloody dd!

mrsravelstein Thu 30-Jun-11 21:09:03

see i like quite unusual names (dh used to go off in a huff saying "that's not even a name!" when i suggested such outrageous things as caspar or valentine or sheba), but those are waaaaay out of even my league

Zippylovesgeorge Thu 30-Jun-11 21:09:59

They are not names - they are just random scrabble letters arranged to make something - poor kids.

dustyhousewithdustypeople Thu 30-Jun-11 21:10:14

Gryphon? Griff for short? That's really cool.

Sorry.

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jun-11 21:10:17

i like Griffin, but not Gryphon

Tedber i saw in a magazine the other week and was rather bemused. it's not the worst name i've ever heard but it sounds rather made-up

Piggyleroux Thu 30-Jun-11 21:11:09

Her dd really suffers. Her mates call her Tony, but she told me that she dreads the register or having her name called out by teachers. I feel sad for her. My friend is the loveliest person ever, but she seems oblivious to the suffering she has caused! And yes, she has an ordinary name.

AnyFuleKno Thu 30-Jun-11 21:12:12

Tedber.

TEDber.

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jun-11 21:12:35

when she named her daughter was she thinking of Phaeton??? (which is a boys name, but at least is a name)

Happymm Thu 30-Jun-11 21:13:12

OMG! Why oh why in the name of all that is lovely about a newborn would you then saddle him with a name he will have the piss ripped out if him for and spend his whole life spelling it out to people. And her poor daughter! My face two currently are Hermionie and Noah...just for when friend reads this can get better ideas! grin

Happymm Thu 30-Jun-11 21:14:01

Fave that would be not face-bloody iPad smile

WhoAteMySnickers Thu 30-Jun-11 21:14:32

I don't mind Gryphon.

But dear God, poor poor little Phatone sad

stoppinchingthedummy Thu 30-Jun-11 21:14:33

Poor poor children!!!

itsastrawpoll Thu 30-Jun-11 21:16:00

Weeeeeell, Griffin and Teddy are nice?

Paschaelina Thu 30-Jun-11 21:16:41

Tedber. Teddy bear. No.

Gryphon is ok, just.

spookshowangel Thu 30-Jun-11 21:16:48

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is you friend special or did you just mis spell. do people not realise their children will at the very least have these names for 16 yrs. arghhhhh people grow up.

AmazingBouncingFerret Thu 30-Jun-11 21:17:57

Isnt Gryphon the goblin out of harry potter?
Or am I thinking Gryphook? Gryphawk?

Phatone makes me think Fat Tony. Poor girl.

Piggyleroux Thu 30-Jun-11 21:18:15

I am going to show her this thread.

thederkinsdame Thu 30-Jun-11 21:21:41

Poor girl is called fat Tony I bet? As for the others well they may seem exotic to her buy she isn't going to live with the teasing is she? Poor boy. I bet he'll change his name as well!

MoonGirl1981 Thu 30-Jun-11 21:22:53

I quite like Gryphon.

Her daughter's name is just cruel though!

sad

Bloody awful ... give the poor kid a normal name ffs (My DSs are John and Joe ...about as boring normal as you can get)

Fifis25StottieCakes Thu 30-Jun-11 21:23:19

Dont do it. I have a Niamh which is a lovely name but she hate is due to pronounciation problems. Niamh is a lovely name IMO but your friends names are just crazy.

Are they made up. She seriously needs to think about how the names will affect her kids. My dd loves her 2nd choice name Erin and wishes i had used that. For DD2 and 3 i used name which are said as written.

Your friends names are truely awful, sorry

tribpot Thu 30-Jun-11 21:23:23

You're thinking of Griphook (which might actually be moderately more acceptable. A gryphon is a a mythological creature.

Phatone in the urban dictionary. Utterly ridiculous name.

Tedber - why?

Fifis25StottieCakes Thu 30-Jun-11 21:24:06

*hates it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now