Talk

Advanced search

To not make a donation to the NHM?

(10 Posts)
MarioandLuigi Thu 30-Jun-11 16:00:34

Am booking some tickets to take DS to the National History Museum to see the Age of the Dinosaurs exibitition. You can either opt in or opt out of giving a donation.

Am I a skinflint scrooge if I opt out? Is the NHM struggling?

SybilBeddows Thu 30-Jun-11 16:03:38

all museums are struggling but odds are you'll be spending money in the shop or the cafe so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

MarioandLuigi Thu 30-Jun-11 16:09:03

Thats what I thought - DS has saved his birthday money so he can spend it in the museum shop - he has a list on dinosaurs he wants to buy hmm

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 30-Jun-11 16:10:39

All museums are struggling hugely so whether you give a donation or not is up to you, but yes, the majority of the income comes from the cafe and shop.

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 30-Jun-11 16:12:54

<<wonders if Mario is going the same day?>>

MarioandLuigi Thu 30-Jun-11 16:14:20

6th August. Its my birthday treat apparently hmm

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 30-Jun-11 16:31:14

Obviously not self-selected.

grin

Wrong week.

Bah.

belgo Thu 30-Jun-11 16:34:06

It depends whether or not you can afford it, and how much you spend in the shop and cafe.

euphrosyne Thu 30-Jun-11 16:46:51

As the others said, all museums struggle

You can always make a donation when you are there if you feel like it

I always try to support museums by visiting their e-/shop when I'm buying presents

GrungeBlobPrimpants Thu 30-Jun-11 16:52:20

Yes, all museums and galleries are struggling - cutting back on services and making staff redundant. So they are trying to increase income through donations, sales etc

Obviously up to you what to do. Do they offer Gift Aid on the exhibition ticket fee? That's the way to give them money without paying extra yourself iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now