Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit bored with my friends and want some new ones?

(20 Posts)
AngryFeet Thu 30-Jun-11 14:36:42

That title sounds really mean and I don't mean I want to dump my old friends but I wish I had some friends who were a bit more fun! I seem to organise 90% of the nights out as noone else ever gets around to it and then usually 50% blow out due to kids/finances. When we all get together we do have a good time usually although a fair bit of booze is generally shipped so it might be that grin. Anyway everyone is coupled up now and most of us have children but mine are older than most peoples (7 and 4). I guess now mine are out of the baby/toddler stage and are at school I just want to get my life back a bit.

I want to go to a festival, girls holiday, concerts etc etc but noone can ever afford it or can't get babysitters. Plus noone else ever comes up with these ideas. It is always just pubs or restaurants.

It doesn't help that DH is a homebody who isn't particularly social apart from seeing a few of his good mates 4 times a year down the (yes you guessed it!) pub.

I want some fun dammit!

Clearly I am having a midlife crisis at 32 grin

Tchootnika Thu 30-Jun-11 14:42:48

.... Ah, but it does help that DH is a homebody...
Means he can happily stay at home with DCs while you are out and about.
AIBU to suggest you look at evening courses, Meetup activities, etc? They can be quite good, actually...

MrsTwinks Thu 30-Jun-11 14:43:00

YANBU, and can I join you? I'm 27, I dont have any friends outside of work local (I moved here for DH) and everyone is either single and living large, or coupley and staying in and watching telly sorts. It gets REALLY tiring just starting at DH all the time lol! We're also the only ones TTC/starting a family at the moment too so its only going to get worse.

AngryFeet Thu 30-Jun-11 14:52:41

Yes an evening course is a good idea. What are meetup activities?

I think I need to start hanging around with either much younger people who are responsibilty free or people in their 40's whose kids have grown up!

Tchootnika Thu 30-Jun-11 15:18:43

AngryFeet: google Meetups UK...
Basically, it's a group which organises loads of 'interest based' activities around UK (you know, wine tasting, dry stone walling, potholing, martial arts, language socials, advanced origami, etc.) which you can be kept informed about/join in with on a basis that's less of a commitment (and cheaper) than e.g. joining ongoing courses. Really good if you want to, erm, meet up with new people, also good if you're interested in doing something that doesn't float the boats of everyone you know. And flexible.
Strongly recommended.

Thefoxsbrush Thu 30-Jun-11 15:36:55

My 'settled down' friends sound like yours. I go out with my single friends when I want to have a good night out! X

AngryFeet Thu 30-Jun-11 16:25:23

I have no single friends sad Well one if you count in a relationship but not married with kids.

I keep thinking of all the things I want to do but noone will go with me! I wanted to go to Glastonbury, I want to see Red Hot Chili Peppers next year, I want my girls holiday dammit!

AngryFeet Thu 30-Jun-11 16:26:12

Ooh that sounds interesting tchootnika. I will check that out thanks smile

verytellytubby Thu 30-Jun-11 16:26:37

AngryFeet - if you're in North London I have a vacancy for a fun friend!

AngryFeet Thu 30-Jun-11 16:44:31

I'm in South London so not too far out. Although now I am worried that I will be a big disappointment and not interesting enough grin

emsies Thu 30-Jun-11 16:56:28

Heh - my husband works away from home so I don't ever get to go out!

I'd quite like some intelligent, educated types to meet for daytime coffee but seem to have fallen between too many groups - don't have the income to match the posh set, and ladies off of the local estate don't seem to have similar interests!

fallon8 Thu 30-Jun-11 16:58:05

Im alot older than you,I chnage friends all the time, as do they, depending on what is happening in my life at that time,but I still have a small hard core,we just drop in and out of each other's lives,esepecially as not all of us share the same interests.

verytellytubby Thu 30-Jun-11 17:15:42

Well I'm definitely doing Glastonbury in 2013!

SloganLogan Thu 30-Jun-11 17:35:45

It's always good to make new friends who share interests with you. Not to say you should dump your old friends though!

AngryFeet Thu 30-Jun-11 18:27:58

I find it hard to make new friends though. The only opportunity I get is at the school gate and so far there has been little in common there as they are all a fair bit older than me. Even at work I am in an office alone most of the time.

Nor am I sure what my interests are any more - except for reading. I guess I need to get out and do stuff by myself for a bit.

I'm up for Glastonbury verytelly!!

Tchootnika Thu 30-Jun-11 18:29:03

AngryFeet then join a reading group!

SloganLogan Thu 30-Jun-11 18:34:51

Why wouldn't you have anything in common with someone older? Friendships don't have to be with people the same age as yourself.

maGicGift Thu 30-Jun-11 18:35:41

Im near South London Angryfeet Im always after fun friends, especially those who like gigs!

maGicGift Thu 30-Jun-11 18:36:29

oooh red hot chillis....

Adagoo Thu 30-Jun-11 18:47:24

YANBU.

I did withdraw from the round of gigs when I had DS, and I miss it! I'm 32 too. There's something about having been out of the loop so long that makes me a bit apprehensive but I'm dying to jump back in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now