Talk

Advanced search

to think – and say – this is incredible offensive?

(108 Posts)
Mitzimaybe Thu 30-Jun-11 13:44:52

On a football forum where there's nothing much going on (it is the off season, after all) someone made a post saying "This site has about as much going for it as Adolf Hitler would have at a Bar Mitzvah." I responded with "Unbelievable. I've seen some idiotic and offensive posts from you over the years, but that crosses the line so far that I'm lost for words."

A few others have also told him its offensive but some have defended him, e.g. "Jesus, what [xxxxx] posted was not offensive! You lot must be a right laugh if you're offended by something as easy as that." The person who posted the remark claims to have done a straw poll and "A random sample of 27 people in the office and unanimously everyone agrees with me."

I am not Jewish, don't consider myself overly pc (e.g. I don't see anything wrong with Baa baa black sheep) but surely, any sane person can see it's incredibly offensive, can't they? Or is it just me? I don't even understand why there's any argument about it.

So what does a random sample of 27 mumsnetters think about it?

Of course it's offensive....what an arse!

worraliberty Thu 30-Jun-11 13:47:32

This random Mumsnetter wonders why you've reposted the bile so even more people can read it?

People like that should be pulled up at the time (as you did) but otherwise not given the time of day imo.

MadYoungCatLady Thu 30-Jun-11 13:47:34

I wouldn't find it offensive and I come from Jewish descent.

Pagwatch Thu 30-Jun-11 13:48:15

It is a football forum.

Are you shocked that some football supporters are stupid and racist?

winnybella Thu 30-Jun-11 13:50:24

Hmm. Not really sure it's that offensive tbh. Crass, yes, but offensive? It would be if it applauded Hitler for his treatment of Jews, for example.

winnybella Thu 30-Jun-11 13:50:48

Jewish descent here, as well.

debka Thu 30-Jun-11 13:52:40

Actually I don't think it is offensive when you think about it. I think people can immediately shout RACIST at any mention of Hitler or Jewish people as a knee jerk reaction.

<prepares to get flamed>

winnybella Thu 30-Jun-11 13:52:58

Am I reading it right, though- the meaning is that Hitler wouldn't be very popular at Bar Mitzvah, right?

debka Thu 30-Jun-11 13:54:33

That's what i understood winnybella.

BulletWithAName Thu 30-Jun-11 13:54:57

It's not racist, and I'm seeing it the same way winnybella is seeing it

Mitzimaybe Thu 30-Jun-11 13:55:43

Pagwatch I often encounter sexism and I wouldn't expect any better from some of the football fans who seem to struggle with basic English, but these are seemingly educated men who (imho) should know better. I seriously hope the mere liking of football doesn't define one as stupid and racist.

MadYoungCatLady thanks for posting the alternative point of view. Can you say any more about why it's not offensive or is it just that it doesn't particularly bother you?

MrsTwinks Thu 30-Jun-11 13:55:50

bad taste most definately, wouldnt say offensive

Omigawd Thu 30-Jun-11 13:56:35

It's called a "Joke".

Get over it.

eurochick Thu 30-Jun-11 13:57:09

I don't find it offensive. It's only saying that Hitler would be unpopular at a Jewish event. Which is clearly true.

If I say "Is the Pope Catholic?" or "do bears sh1t in the woods?" I am not being offensive about the Pope or bears. I am just using a bit of colour in my language to make a point based on an obvious statement of fact. The football forum poster was doing something similar.

winnybella Thu 30-Jun-11 13:58:34

But what exactly is bothering you, OP? It says that the football site doesn't have much going for it and compares it to how unpopular Hitler would be at Bar Mitzvah. Which, obv, he would be hmm

OurPlanetNeptune Thu 30-Jun-11 13:58:37

Offensive, to whom? Is attacking Jewish people? No. But definitely stupid, and demonstrates the lack of intelligence of the person who wrote it.

Mitzimaybe Thu 30-Jun-11 14:02:23

OK, interesting responses. I'll give it some more thought...

MadYoungCatLady Thu 30-Jun-11 14:02:27

If I've read it right, as described by winnybella, its saying Hitler would not be popular amongst Jewish people.

Well, he wouldn't would he? Its kind of an obvious joke though, this guy could use some lessons in the dry wit department.

OldMacEIEIO Thu 30-Jun-11 14:08:19

Adolf was a teetotal anyway, so why would he be going into a bar

tethersend Thu 30-Jun-11 14:08:26

Something can be funny and offensive.

tethersend Thu 30-Jun-11 14:09:26

OldMac, that's a joke, right?

MrsCog Thu 30-Jun-11 14:10:50

Crass and stupid - yes, offensive - no IMO.

Tchootnika Thu 30-Jun-11 14:12:16

OP - your offence stocks could be better used elsewhere, IMO, though it's nice of you to care...

strandedbear Thu 30-Jun-11 14:15:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now