Talk

Advanced search

To feel touched by Katie Price's article on Harvey?

(416 Posts)
emkana Thu 30-Jun-11 13:27:30

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2009642/Katie-Prices-heartfelt-denunciation-Frankie-Boyles-vile-slur-Harvey.html

emkana Thu 30-Jun-11 13:28:03

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2009642/Katie-Prices-heartfelt-denunciation-Frankie-Boyles-vile-slur-Harvey.html#comments

tallulahxhunny Thu 30-Jun-11 13:29:20

i havent read your link but i seen an ad last night for her programme about talking about harvey and his needs etc and have to say i used to like her but shes is using him now to get more publicity

I used to really like her too but now...she makes my teeth itch!!!

Balsam Thu 30-Jun-11 13:32:33

Don't like her but I thought that article was beautifully written and quite touching.

emkana Thu 30-Jun-11 13:33:07

I don't like her at all, but I like the way she speaks about Harvey, it just touched a nerve. Might be all made upmthough.

valiumredhead Thu 30-Jun-11 13:36:52

Don't like her but I thought that article was beautifully written and quite touching

Which would strongly suggest it was NOT written by Katie herself wink allegedly

I agree with the fact the FB was bang out of order though and HOW anyone can find his 'joke' humorous is beyond me angry

sparkle12mar08 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:37:50

Well I seriously doubt she did the actual writing. But yes I found it very touching. It's just such a shame that it's so at odds with every other single action she does. She has dragged him into the spotlight over the years, but I suppose the only other alternative is hiding him away and having everyone say she's ashamed of him. The woman is a mass of contradictions and I don't envy her her life, much as she brings most of it on herself.

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jun-11 13:38:22

there is absolutely no way on earth that she wrote that, she's used her ghost writer and they've written a beautiful essay that doesn't sound at all like Katie Price. weird PR decision, imo, but i do support her all the way in pushing for an apology from frankie boyle and think of all the programmes she's made showcasing her kids, this one is probably the most valid in intention.

tazmin Thu 30-Jun-11 13:38:25

didnt read it

more media whoring by the woman

she says leave my kid out of it, then goes and generates publicity for herself by this

awful woman!

cybboid Thu 30-Jun-11 13:38:50

Havent read article but wasn't all the Frankie Boyle stuff, like a YEAR ago

Smacks of publicity desperation to me

altinkum Thu 30-Jun-11 13:39:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

piprabbit Thu 30-Jun-11 13:40:15

I think that the tone of the article was perfect. Calm, honest and heartfelt.
I'm not 100% sure that a TV programme is the best way of making the points about disablility that she claims to be wanting to make.

But in a country where disabled children and adults routinely face abuse on the streets - I think it is very brave of her to stand up and say "this is not acceptable", somebody in the public eye needs to.

piprabbit Thu 30-Jun-11 13:42:31

I really don't see how people can have an opinion about an article they haven't read - especially when there is a link right there in the OP.

Just plain lazy IMHO.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 30-Jun-11 13:47:07

I don't care if she wrote it, I don't care if she's touting him round the press. I dislike the woman immensely and avoid anything that mentions her, hence I have no idea about her life or her son. But I read the article and if his daily life and issues are what the article says they are, and I have no reason to suspect they aren't, then I have gained a lot of respect for her, and for anyone in her situation.

Those of us who are not in that position simply have no idea what life with a child with sn is like. I've said it on here before. There are a lot of posters, one in particular we all know who has done so much to illustrate the issues involved, it really is an education and one that we need. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 30-Jun-11 13:48:21

cybboid do you actually know what that fuckwit said about her son? I'd be gunning for him a hell of a lot longer than a year.

mauricetinkler Thu 30-Jun-11 13:50:44

So a woman chooses to make money on the back of her disabled child and Boyle is a disgrace for drawing attention to the fact? Don't quite get that one.

AmberLeaf Thu 30-Jun-11 13:54:50

I dont care if she wrote the article or had help doing it, what shes talking about it is true.

Yes she does court publicity [as every 'celeb' does'] but this does not give people like Frankie Boyle the right to say such a hugely offensive 'joke'

I feel touched not just by the article but the fact that she is a mum of a disabled child and i empathise as my DS also has Autism.

She cant win really, if she kept him completely away from public view someone would say shes ashamed of her disabled child.

I also think that if it was anyone in the public eye that FB had made those offensive comments about he would've been much more vilified than he was.

NettoSuperstar Thu 30-Jun-11 13:56:48

No way she wrote it and lots of what she does makes no sense in the context. His routines are distubed, but he doesn't mind new men every few months?
What about when she went to the US for a few weeks but Harvey only stayed for a couple of them, or the fact she doesn't really mention her ex husband who would love to adopt him, and sees him as his own son?
Not that I'm a PA fan either, but she does seem to be focusing on herself and how hard it is for her, forgetting how she doesn't do lots if it.
There was an interesting bit in Mark Frith's book about the sticker too, and her reaction to it.

FB's 'joke' was disgusting though, no doubt about it, but this just smacks of more media whoring to me.

AmberLeaf Thu 30-Jun-11 13:57:24

mauricetinkler FB didnt draw attention to KP 'making money on the back of her disabled child'

He made a disgusting joke about that disabled child f**king his own mother.

ashamedandconfused Thu 30-Jun-11 13:57:37

i cannot stand the celeb side of katie/jordan, or her ilk, and i think the stories she has written for kids are dire, whereas that article is very well worded and presented, so yes - she had help.

ironically the chavvy, beauty obsessed persona she has invented for herself is exactly the sort of person you might imagine would have the same "sense of humour" as the vile FB

However, i think I have often tended to forget the side of her that is a tender loving mother coping with a severely disabled child.

She may not have crafted the article word for word, but I have no doubt the sentiments expressed are totally genuine, and she is doing her best to be a good mum to harvey - she has actually gone up a little in my estimation.

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jun-11 13:59:29

what was in the book about the heat sticker? i must say i thought that was a shockingly cruel thing as well. poor kid, he's seen as somehow fair game because his mother is.

silverfrog Thu 30-Jun-11 14:00:31

maybe the article was ghost written - katie price has never made a secret of ghost writer involvement, has she? - but I do not doubt for a second that the sentiments are hers.

I know people who have children at the school that Harvey used to go to, and from what I have heard she is a hands-on, involved parent, and yes, it is relentless when you are dealing with a child with severe SN.

yes, she has some help.

so do I.

so shoot me.

I cared for dd1 for years on my own (dh works incredibly long hours). it was isolating, and nearly drove me to a breakdown. dd1 is 6.5 now. we had a nanny start a couple of weeks ago, and even then, I cannot go out ot work, I cannot call my time my own.

the very nature of having a child with severe SN means that, for one, she is unlikely to ever go to the same school as her sister. so I have to get two children to school, 15 miles apart, for more or less the same time. and pick up at more or less the same time. just not physically possible.

and even with extra help in the form of a nanny, ther eis still a whole pile of things ot do, which only a paretn can do. I can ask the nanny to cook dd1's special diet, and she does so happily. but it is me who does the further research, the hours of digging up info on diets and enzymes and nutrition as a whole. it is me who has to find out the stuff to suggest to our nanny in the first place.

and then there is the education side, and the legal fights for a decent school place. again, a nanny can post the doucuments off, maybem but she is not the one up all hours after bedtime researching legal precedents, or preparing for yet another tribunal. she is not the one researchig teaching methods, or trying to find a school/tutor/consultant who can help with whatever issue we are having at that particular point.

having extra help takes the pressure off the daily grind a little, but it does not give you your life back - the fights are all still there, including fights like the one Katie is now waging - the right for our children to be accepted as human beings, and to try to get other people to recognise that the vile abuse spouted by FB was exactly that - abuse, which shoudl not be tolerated in any form.

it is heartbreaking to realise that to a whole section of the population my beautiful, funny daughter is regarded as less than human, a person whose feelings do not count at all, and who can be ridiculed with impunity.

Potplant Thu 30-Jun-11 14:00:49

What did mark Frith say about the sticker?
I can't imagine any defence to it

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jun-11 14:02:39

no doubt the sentiments are hers, but the actual words do not sound like her. it's really bad ghost writing, i think.

agree totally with everything else you've written, of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now