Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

First holiday abroad -AIBU to pay more for a longer holiday?

(25 Posts)
hippohead Thu 30-Jun-11 10:38:01

I have been left a small sum of money and have decided to treat DP and DD (4) to a holiday. I have carefully considered saving the money for an emergency or a rainy day but have decided to spend it on a holiday. I know how lucky we are to be able to do this and realise it would not be everyones choice to splurge it.

Due to DPs work commitments we will be going in December, longhaul (flight time 6ish hours). Cant decide whether to go for 7 or 11 nights.

I really cant decide whether to spend the extra on 11 nights or save a bit and stick with 7. We have never been abroad so I am not sure if 7 nights will feel a bit short?

I know this is a really frivolous question and that I am ridiculous not to be able to decide but if anyone could advise me whether to go for 7 or 11 nights I would be really grateful.

worraliberty Thu 30-Jun-11 10:39:42

I'd go with 11 because that should give you 7 clear days to enjoy yourselves once you've recovered from the travel.

If its a longhaul flights 7 days will be too short IMO as 1 days will be spent either side travelling so you would only get 5 days there!!

11 days sounds perfect!! We went to the Caribbean in December last year and were there for 14 days which was a bit long, 11 would have been better.

Def go for 11 smile

LadyThumb Thu 30-Jun-11 10:40:06

Long haul - 7 nights? No way! Go for the 11 nights - 7 will go far too quickly.

itisnearlysummer Thu 30-Jun-11 10:40:29

I'd go for 11 too. Sounds like it's an opportunity that won't come round often so make the most of it!

IloveJudgeJudy Thu 30-Jun-11 10:40:41

If it's longhaul, won't it be better to go for 11 nights rather than 7 to give you more time to enjoy your holiday after recovering from your flights. Ime you will regret going for so short a time unless you're a real homebody who can't wait to get home after a holiday.

aldiwhore Thu 30-Jun-11 10:42:02

11. Oh and don't even think of feeling apologetic about spending the money on a fab holiday, rainy days will come whether you've got the cash in the bank or not and if they do come, you won't be able to afford a holiday!

Have a blast, the memories will keep you going through the rainy times.

is jealous

MrsCarriePooter Thu 30-Jun-11 10:42:04

I'd go for 11 assuming it's a destination that bears that long and you're not going to be bored! If you've already decided you can spare the money, there seems no point saving a little bit for the sake of a few nights. I assume the bulk of the cost is the flights in any case and it's a relatively long way with a child on the plane (is there a time difference to adjust to?). We've just got back from a 7 day holiday and it feels like we were no sooner there and the children settled then really it was over.

MilyP Thu 30-Jun-11 10:43:12

6 hour flight doesn't sound like long haul though. Check your flights and see how much time you will actually get. But probably would say just go for 11 - your never going to regret a few more days holiday surely!!

spookshowangel Thu 30-Jun-11 10:43:50

oh my god i cant believe it you've never been this far away from home grin defo 11 go any have an amazing time.

hippohead Thu 30-Jun-11 10:46:12

No not a real homebody- just bit tight with the cash!! However dont want to be mean about spending bit extra to make it really enjoyable.

I guess I thought 6 hours didnt dound 'very' longhaul but having thought about I need to add the transfer, waiting etc. on and so the travelling days will be quite long ones!!

hippohead Thu 30-Jun-11 10:49:18

I know we are a bit unusual in not having been abroad blush but have had some great UK holidays!!

...and def research the weather if you are going long haul (although like someone else said 6 hours isnt that longhaul really) - we did the Dominican Republic in December, we had a week of lovely weather and a week of rain!!! Dec in the Caribbean apparently is the rainy season hmm

dreamingbohemian Thu 30-Jun-11 10:53:54

I think it really depends where you are going. Do you mind telling us? Maybe someone who's been there could tell you if 11 days is too long.

I've been to some truly lovely places that would nevertheless get a bit boring after a week.

But in general, 11 days sounds fab!

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 30-Jun-11 10:55:35

I'd go for 14 nights grin.
I'm in the same boat as you, I came into an unexpected sum of money last year and will be going on holiday too.
If you go for 7 nights you're no sooner there than you're back again, and though it's more expensive if you can afford it, go for it.
I can't wait.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 30-Jun-11 10:57:34

What's the time difference? Because if you're travelling to the US or Caribbean, with a time difference of 5/6 hours, it can take a few days to adjust - so I'd definitely go for the longer option.

Lucky you - hope it's lovely!

kat2504 Thu 30-Jun-11 11:00:20

I'd agree with the longer holiday especially with long haul flights. You will be able to relax more and have a better time without having to cram everything into 5 days. Hope you have a fantastic time!

hippohead Thu 30-Jun-11 11:12:31

We are going to Egypt. I am not too concerned about getting bored- we are very good at making our own fun and games and the area I am looking at has plenty to do. I think the time difference is just one hour.

Thank you all so much for your kind advice, and for not flaming me for being extravagant!!

kat2504 Thu 30-Jun-11 11:18:06

Oooh how nice! I've only been to Egypt once and I only had 3 days! It was a great trip. There is so much to see and do there.

alexsdad Thu 30-Jun-11 11:25:12

A slight note of caution (and ignore this if it is an all-inclusive deal). Whilst the upfront cost of 7 vs. 11 days may not be larger, remember that you also have extra days of meals, activities, drinks and all that sort of stuff to budget for as well.

However, you could offset that against what you would have be paying at home, including heating in the winter, so perhaps not something to worry about!

dreamingbohemian Thu 30-Jun-11 11:33:07

Sounds fun!

But please do get really good travel insurance, read the fine print about cancellations, and keep track of travel warnings. Egypt is very unstable at the moment, and while it sounds like you are probably going to Sharm, there is no telling what will be going on in December. It would be a shame to have your first trip abroad disrupted!

Also double check the travel insurance wording, it's possible that since the unrest is ongoing now, they would not cover cancellations of trips made now (on the grounds that you should have anticipated potential problems).

MorticiaAddams Thu 30-Jun-11 12:43:40

I would term 6 hours as a medium haul flight not long haul so 7 days is perfectly reasonable and doable.

However if it's somewhere you're not like to be able to visit again then I go for 11 days as there will be days where you'll just want to chill and don't want to be forcing yourself to get all the attractions visited within a week and not enjoy them fully.

The other thing to consider is that you'll need 50% more spendig money which can often be the deciding factor.

Where are you going by the way? (Just being nosey, I love holidays)

cantspel Thu 30-Jun-11 13:38:22

Unless you are going to see the sites i wouldn't go to egypt in december.
The weather will still be warm during the day but it will be cold at night and the days will be very short as it will be dark by about 5. The sea and hotel swimming pool will be cold (too cold for children to enjoy splashing around in for long) and then you have the wohole political situation to factor in.

MyMamaToldMe Thu 30-Jun-11 13:54:26

I've been to Eygpt in January and it was cold (just telling you in case it was sun you were after!) However, in answer to your original question - go for 11 days!

mumonahottinroof Thu 30-Jun-11 14:07:25

I'd say 7 days is enough for egypt, as one who'd been many, many times. Ime the weather should be good not too hot, just perfect, but check check check your hotel has a heated pool, because the ones that aren't heated are too cold to swim in at that time of year. Have a lovely time grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now