Talk

Advanced search

To take back Clarks shoes?

(25 Posts)
Ismeyes Wed 29-Jun-11 22:21:28

I bought DD a new pair of shoes on 31st May from Clarks. This morning I found they have a hole right through the toe and the sole is coming off at the toe. DD is hard on her shoes, not scuffing them alongt the floor whilst riding a scooter or anything, but she does do alot of climbing at school on the frames etc.

I want to take the shoes back. DH thinks that I just need to accept that DD wrecks her school shoes. I never have to replace her everyday shoes and her lelli kellis lasted a term and half with the same kind of punishment which is not great, but better than these clarks shoes, especially considering they were not worn until after half term.

What do you think and any recommendations for hard wearing girls shoes?

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 22:27:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lazarusb Wed 29-Jun-11 22:33:28

I had a similar with ds's shoes after 6 weeks. I e-mailed their customer services who told me to take them to the shop and they were refunded without any problems. They aren't fit for purpose, take them back.

simbo Wed 29-Jun-11 22:34:05

I've taken stuff back when it hasn't been right. It may depend on the store manager, though. They do have some guidelines, but even if they only offer you a discount off your next purchase, it would be worth it. Nothing ventured...

StellaSays Wed 29-Jun-11 22:41:18

I took back a pair of boots that I bought in September and by Christmas the leather had worn through and ripped. Got a refund no problem.

YANBU take them back.

Ismeyes Wed 29-Jun-11 22:48:10

Ok, will try to take them back tomorrow. I have a reciept so will see what happens.

amsterdamster Wed 29-Jun-11 23:39:45

I'd give it a go and see what happens - I had a similar experience and shop was quite understanding, although it naturally depends on the disposition of the person serving you and so on.

skybluepearl Wed 29-Jun-11 23:48:03

clarks shoes have failed me too

kittybuttoon Thu 30-Jun-11 14:57:46

I bought a pair in the sale, which had a tiny teeny mark on the toe - they spotted it themselves (I hadn't noticed), and gave me a free can of foam cleaner to get it out!

I must say I was impressed by their customer service, and I think you should tell them your problem, so they can sort it out for you.

ilovesooty Thu 30-Jun-11 15:00:43

If they're not fit for purpose/defective you're entitled to a refund. It is unlawful for them to fob you off with a credit note.

Insomnia11 Thu 30-Jun-11 15:03:09

YANBU.

Only ever had one problem with Clarks and that was when I bought some so-called comfortable sandals in pregnancy and they rubbed half my skin off my toes. I gave them to my mum though who found them fine!

Insomnia11 Thu 30-Jun-11 15:05:43

Well, strictly in law you're entitled to at least a repair. If they are beyond repair then they should replace or refund. How many time you should accept a repair before they replace/refund is a slightly grey area I think.

But I can't imagine Clarks would refuse a refund in the above circumstances.

Mendeleyev Thu 30-Jun-11 15:09:22

We've had the same problem with Clarks. The last pair we bought lasted 5 1/2 weeks. I took them back to John Lewis who refunded and gave me £5 towards another pair! I always buy Startrite now. But even these only last a term. She is so heavy on her shoes.

bbboo Thu 30-Jun-11 16:11:46

Several years ago I had exactly the same problem. When I took the shoes back (DS had only had them a few weeks), I was told he must have been scraping them along the ground when he walked. He did not do this! Was refused a refund. have only bought european makes since then (even start-rite not that great anymore) and although slightly more expensive, they last for months and months.

MrsKravitz Thu 30-Jun-11 16:15:01

DONT get me started. I had one pair wrecked withing 6 weeks of purchase and bought a second pair which went at about the same time. No more chances....thats the end of clark's and my relationship im afraid.

jenniec79 Thu 30-Jun-11 16:16:00

I love my clarks unstructured shoes. I've had them about a year, but they were the exchanged pair for ones that fell apart after about a fortnight. (Basic work shoes, normal wear). They were very good with the refund/replacement though, and I didn't have the reciept.

Ismeyes Thu 30-Jun-11 16:28:49

I took them back. Woman behind the counter asked if I had bought their protective polish when I bought them, which I replied I had not, but they were regularly polished. She declared that was the problem and if I polished them with their polish everyday after school then the layer of polish would come off rather than the shoes going through the toe.

I told her she was being unreasonable and lucky I wasn't asking for a refund on the Clarke shoe protector I had been using on them. She got arsey, but I got an exchange for some different ones and will never shop in Clarks again. I didn't ask for a refund as need shoes for school tomorrow and limited on shoe shops here.

usedallmyideas Thu 30-Jun-11 16:49:16

Just read your last post Ismeyes and the sales person you were talking to was (of course) talking b*****ks rubbish!! Well done for sticking to your guns and the legislation is the Sale of Goods Act. On the rare occasion I've had to use it, I've found that if I start the sentence with "according to the sale of goods act, I'm entitled to...", said sales person turns white and gives in grin

sims2fan Thu 30-Jun-11 17:11:29

What kind of steel polish do they sell that stops the leather wearing through?! That sounds like a rubbish excuse, and a loophole that they must use these days to stop people getting refunds. They probably know that not many people will buy their over priced polishes so that's how they get out of giving money back when their shoes fall apart.

Have you tried Kickers? They do quite nice children's shoes these days. No idea how well made they are now, but they used to be excellent. My brother and I were always hard on our shoes and my mum once bought us a pair of Kickers each. After I grew out of mine my bother's were still in a very good condition so I then wore them.

quimbledonsemi Thu 30-Jun-11 17:13:47

Take them back she's only had them a month! I took a pair of £30 trainers back to Clarks after that amount of time because some of the decorative stitching had come away - they were still wearable but at £30 I wanted a bit longer than 4 weeks before they fell apart. They took them back with no quibble whatsoever.

quimbledonsemi Thu 30-Jun-11 17:15:21

Just noticed your update. What a cheek! I don't blame you for not shopping there again. I'd write to the head office and let them know what kind of service you've had as well.

lazarusb Thu 30-Jun-11 17:23:07

I echo quimble's advice - that's ridiculous!

Insomnia11 Thu 30-Jun-11 17:35:11

I think if they are literally coming apart then they haven't got a leg to stand on. I once phoned John Lewis customer services to say I was very disappointed with one towel I'd bought in a set as all the edge of the towel had come off after three months- the other towels in the set were fine. I must have been very persuasive as they sent me a new one within 3 days and I didn't have to return the old one.

Ismeyes Fri 01-Jul-11 07:13:19

Thanks for the advice on kickers as I was. Thinking of buying them for autumn term for her so will try them.

I might well write to head office, the sales assistant had a terrible attitude and put my heckles up straightaway.

tothemoonandback Fri 01-Jul-11 07:25:19

I will never shop in Clarks again after a pair of shoes I had fell apart in less than 2 weeks. Their Customer Service Dept. was really bad, told me that I had worn them excessively (I had not) and that it must be due to the way I was walking. I then sent them the shoes to look at (they were in a right state) and they just returned them to me (I didn't want them back!!) along with a patronising letter telling me the damage was due to the way I wore them. I will NEVER EVER set foot in a Clarks shop again, overpriced crap in my opinion.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: