Talk

Advanced search

An AIBU in advance thread

(4 Posts)
IWannaGetFiscal Wed 29-Jun-11 22:11:49

Moved to new rented property on 1 June this year. Deposit and month in advance all paid up front no probs, rent payment then due today. Went onto my bank online yesterday just to double check money for rent was in, it was, thought I should double check that the direct debit/standing order was all set up ready to go out. It wasn't there. Called the letting agents three times, between 4.15 pm and 4.45 pm, no answer to all three calls. They have no answer machine service. Checked the bank online again this morning to see if rent had been taken, it hadn't. Again, no dd/so in my list of payees. Called them at 10.47 am and again at 11.30, nobody picked up. So I sent an email saying all of this, can someone please call me. Nobody has.

Am now very nervous. As far as I can see this is the fault of the agent, not me. I posted back my direct debit form at the end of May along with my signed tenancy agreement. I have heard nothing since. Am I in the wrong about the fact that my rent has now not been paid on time? I called them with the intention of pointing out this fact and as the money is there I could have effected an immediate transfer of the money into their client account, had somebody answered and given me their bank details. Can I be blamed for this? So, as per title of thread, in advance, are they unreasonable to blame me for this?!

purpleplump Wed 29-Jun-11 22:38:42

I don't think you will be blamed for that, possibly some kind of clerical error or something? You have tried to contact them including by email so they will see that you have tried to make payment but to no avail.
Hope you get it sorted.

IWannaGetFiscal Wed 29-Jun-11 23:12:31

Thanks, hope so.

ZillionChocolate Wed 29-Jun-11 23:15:28

Clearly not your fault. Given that you have the funds I wouldn't worry about it, they can have their money when they can be arsed to take it. Hang on to your email and the details of the calls just in case. YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now