Talk

Advanced search

to be getting slightly fed up of all these events etc all the time?

(3 Posts)
CrapBag Wed 29-Jun-11 19:37:09

I am very lucky to have a great group of friends and I really appreciate how wonderful they are, however...

I am getting really fed up of constant occasions/events cropping up constantly and costing loads of money all together.

One friend had a hen night a few weeks ago, no problem. Haven't been out in over a year and it was the best night out I have ever had. A couple of people couldn't make it so it was stated that sometime we will have to go out again. Now it has been decided a night out is next week because one person who missed out (for a very good reason mind) wants to go out ASAP, the other person who missed out can't even go next week, which means everyone will want to go out again! Then we are going to see the new Harry Potter film but some people can't make the time we are going. I said I am up for going to see it more than once, but at a later time (due to finances). Now it is being arranged for the week after we are going the first time!

They week after it was the wedding, again no problem but did cost more money in terms of gift and very expensive drinks at the venue. It was DH's birthday and fathers day, other relatives birthdays, my car MOT, tax and insurance in the space of 6 weeks, yet another childs birthday party to go to and a beach BBQ where we all have to take something, I know that doesn't seem like much but I really can't afford a single extra thing at the moment.

I have said very recently that I can't afford any nights out any time soon as I have loads to pay out at the moment and I am going to say no to some of it but I am really fed up of these constant 'events' (not including things like weddings) that mean spending more money. I am getting embarrassed to have to keep saying I can't afford it all the time.

Does anyone else ever get like this?

mousesma Wed 29-Jun-11 19:57:11

This is easily fixed by you only going to the events you really want to go to.

It's a shame that you can't afford to go to everything, but your finances aren't their problem and as long as no-one is pressuring you to go if you can't afford it then why is it a problem?

redexpat Wed 29-Jun-11 22:17:41

Well I guess you could tell a white lie and vary the excuse. Sorry we've already got plans for that day/evening. DHs (insert relative/friend) is in town that day. We've got marriage/family time that weekend...

It does sound a bit full on, but could you mention it to one of the group that you feel closer to? Maybe someone else feels it too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now