Talk

Advanced search

To not understand 90% of what anyone is on about in the Health and Beauty section

(57 Posts)
Ryoko Wed 29-Jun-11 18:46:47

And to also find it depressing that H&B gets way more threads/replies a day then anything in the news or politics sections. it's like the stereotypes are true, woman are all shallow.

I've never been hairdressers, I wear T-shirts and jeans, I buy skirts and shoes if I like them I have no idea about all the different types and the different names, I've no idea why anyone in their right mind would want to curl their eyelashes (those things look like torture tools to me).

It's all greek to me.

iwanttoseethezoo Wed 29-Jun-11 18:57:20

you've never been to a hairdresser's? I thought I was low-maintenance! Some people care a bit more about their appearance, but I agree, some women (and men!) are obsessed with it, which is ridiculous.

hiddenhome Wed 29-Jun-11 19:03:00

I don't like the way they go on about linen trousers sad I like linen trousers, they're nice and cool when it's hot blush

Al0uiseG Wed 29-Jun-11 19:05:15

It's Style & Beauty. At least get that right wink

LovelyDaffs Wed 29-Jun-11 19:07:46

I think it's fairly shallow to think that if you're interested in style and beauty then you must be shallow. I love fashion AND politics and I don't know why anyone in their right mind wouldn't go to a hairdressers.

dealer Wed 29-Jun-11 19:07:56

Yay! I've never been to the hairdressers either.

catgirl1976 Wed 29-Jun-11 19:12:17

Goodness. Being interested in fashion and taking care of your appearance is not mutually exclusive to being intellegent / political etc. Looking good doesn't mean you are shallow just like not shaving your legs does not make you deep.....

wrongdecade Wed 29-Jun-11 19:12:34

Linen trousers are ace, we can't all afford Boden mi'dears grin

wrongdecade Wed 29-Jun-11 19:13:26

Oh and being intersted in style & beauty does not make you shallow lets just get that clear.

SevenAgainstThebes Wed 29-Jun-11 19:15:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notyummy Wed 29-Jun-11 19:17:30

Hmm, I have no idea what anyone is on about in the Henhouse or Doghouse or whatever - different strokes for different folks.

I spend my day thinking about politics and economics...I dont need to think it about it all the rest of the time.

I do care what I look like, so I post in style and beauty, and sport and exercise.

Thinking deeply, having a serious career and looking good are not mutually exclusive. I feel better when I look good - and am healthy (hence the exercise bit) and in many workplaces it is part of what people informally judge both men and women on....as well as the more 'tangible' elements of their work.

LolaRennt Wed 29-Jun-11 19:19:05

And to also find it depressing that H&B gets way more threads/replies a day then anything in the news or politics sections. it's like the stereotypes are true, woman are all shallow.

Yep shallow and stupid, or are you just really rude? Just because you don't like somethign doesn't mean its not valuable to someone else. ANd I have never ventured in to H&B

Ryoko Wed 29-Jun-11 19:26:35

Why would I need to go to a hairdressers? I don't care for fashion, it gets washed and brushed, coloured when I'm bored and occasionally tied in a pony tail what more do you need?.

I don't like fashion craziness, it's all just capitalist rubbish to make people feel like they should buy things they don't need every few months, and go you and your linen trousers, walk proud in them safe in the knowledge you are not sweating like a pig like the fashionistas are (and I'm sure I didn't spell fashionista right but meh).

Not saying you can't be interested in both but Mumsnet seems to confirm the stereotypes, all the posts are in Style and Beauty (thats for that) Celeb gossip/TV it's just sooo stereotypical.

wideawakenurse Wed 29-Jun-11 19:28:53

Why do you assume that those with pubic hair down to their knees, wearing sack clothes are interested in current affairs and politics?

Ryoko Wed 29-Jun-11 19:29:13

I mean Thanks for that. not thats for that.

catgirl1976 Wed 29-Jun-11 19:32:17

Do you wear clothes you weaved yourself from woad and mud?

Fatimalovesbread Wed 29-Jun-11 19:33:10

I go to a hairdressers for a haircut, not to keep up with fashion
Men go to hairdressers to you know
How is that shallow?

Ryoko Wed 29-Jun-11 19:36:20

Wideawakenurse.

I'm not assuming anything about peoples politics being reflected in their appearance, I've simply noticed that the prevailing stereotypes of woman is that they are only interested in fashion and gossip and the numbers of threads created everyday and replies on this website, sadly seems to indicate that the stereotype is true.

Plus I don't know whay the hell anyone is talking about in the Style and Beauty section, what the hell is a Maxi Skirt, what are Shreds etc I know nothing and was wondering if I was in the minority on that one or not.

LolaRennt Wed 29-Jun-11 19:36:56

Men and women through out history have been intrested in trends (be they food, fashion, even different kinds of study come in fashion). MOst of the ones making the trends were the ones also in charge at the time, why does liking one thing mean you cant have a brain for something else?

Fatimalovesbread Wed 29-Jun-11 19:37:03

catgirl I'm currently wearing trousers woven out of wheat in a "shreddies - knitted by nanna" stylee. Their a bitch when they're wet though, and my knee length pubic hair gets trapped in the weave wink

LolaRennt Wed 29-Jun-11 19:37:59

Plus I don't know whay the hell anyone is talking about in the Style and Beauty section, what the hell is a Maxi Skirt, what are Shreds etc I know nothing and was wondering if I was in the minority on that one or not.

Oh in that case, I have not a fucking tiny clue what any of the above are.

Fatimalovesbread Wed 29-Jun-11 19:38:02

They're not their

cluckyduck Wed 29-Jun-11 19:38:35

But have you bathed your baby yet hmm

catgirl1976 Wed 29-Jun-11 19:41:33

ooh fatima they sound great - i hope they are sugar free and vegan though wink

CaptainBizarro Wed 29-Jun-11 19:43:25

These sorts of threads are so dull.

What are you hoping to change or challenge, based on this?

Smacks of insecurity, to be honest, else why have such a chip? I could go on about my other interests in life, qualifications, etc, but why should I explain or justify my use of S&B?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now