Talk

Advanced search

School doing sports day 3 miles from school and not on a public transport route

(23 Posts)
yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 17:48:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 17:50:20

The school can't insist on the kids being picked up from the fields if the parents can't pick them up.

What about working parents?

greycircles Wed 29-Jun-11 17:53:27

Ask the mum of one of your kids' friends for a lift?

Take a taxi?

Walk the 3 miles?

I think YABU because the school are not deliberately putting parents out, they are trying to give the kids a great sports day.

catgirl1976 Wed 29-Jun-11 17:54:49

Walk - its only 3 miles

If they actually said "as pretty as possible" agree that is pretty yuk

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 17:56:30

Riveninside Wed 29-Jun-11 17:58:19

If they transport them out there, surely they will bring them back? Or just keep them off school for the day

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 17:58:32

They can say what they want but they can't insist parents go to the sports day to pick them up.

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 17:59:43

catgirl1976 Wed 29-Jun-11 18:00:48

Ah sorry

5 miles will take about an hour - can anyone give them a lift?

nailak Wed 29-Jun-11 18:02:15

have you spoken to the school?

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 18:02:54

If you can't get a lift for them, you can just tell the school they can't take part. That way, the school will have to amuse them somehow. That would be a shame though.

How are the kids getting their?

meditrina Wed 29-Jun-11 18:03:10

It sounds pretty thoughtless to me - especially if you are a working parent and/or need the after school club to keep your life together. Especially if it's on short notice.

Our school always gives the option of pick-up from venue, or pick up (sometimes later than usual) from the school.

Do you have a PTA? Could they represent parents who are in a fix about this? As the school is presumably taking the children there, the PTA could, on behalf of all parents in need, ask for those uncollected to be taken back to school and looked after until the usual end time of the after-school club.

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 18:03:11

*there

AmberLeaf Wed 29-Jun-11 18:06:11

Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 29-Jun-11 18:08:35

how old are the kids - primary or secondary?

We had sports day today and a mum called up saying dd couldn't come as it was too far to walk (about 2 miles). Many kids do walk distances and if it starts at 11am they can leave at 10am.

Schools offer things like sports days and occasional trips that mean that the arrangements are different to a usual day. I know it's difficult for working parents but it is one day - get a grip.

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 18:13:27

TheHumanCatapult Wed 29-Jun-11 18:13:51

think school do need to wake up and realise that some will jst not be able to go .

Dd has school day thing tomorrow about 3miles away and head very nicely asked if i needed one of teachers to take and bring her back for me to collect .So if dd school can do it im sure others can .

(luckily another parent offered as has mpv so shes taking the local kids going (6 of them )

TidyDancer Wed 29-Jun-11 18:27:22

Five miles would take more than an hour to walk.

The school are being very unreasonable. You need to go to them and say that you will be picking up your DC from school, what time will they be back? Make it clear that you have no transport to get them. I don't think five miles is a reasonable distance to expect a child to walk after sports day.

Riveninside Wed 29-Jun-11 18:27:29

Thats a bit daft, not everyone has a car. Far as i can see, if they ship them out to this field, they should bring them back.

yearningforthesun Wed 29-Jun-11 18:32:16

callow Wed 29-Jun-11 18:38:19

My daughter's school do this with various trips.

So far it has been OK as I have been off work when I have needed to pick her up. On the days I work she is collected by an after-school club. They will only pick her up at school as they have other children they need to collect and they are unable to collect her earlier or later than usual school finishing time. If the school were unable to return her school and I couldn't find another mother to help she would have to stay a school and miss her trip.

I think they think that all mothers don't work or have loads of family to help out.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 29-Jun-11 18:39:17

I agree the notice is rubbish - too late to really plan or get lift share sorted etc.

Can you call the school in the morning and speak to form tutor or head of year and see if they can help.

I would be annoyed about the notice period, the rest I can see from both sides and presume the venue offers much better facilities for the event (which is why our school does something similar).

meditrina Wed 29-Jun-11 18:48:04

Such short notice is taking the p*ss, big time.

(Are you sure there wasn't an earlier notice you missed? Not that that helps now).

As it coincides with strike day, perhaps they've had difficulty in ensuring they had enough staff to run the event safely? A possible reason for late communication (but a poor way to foster parental support)? But as venue/coaches must have been booked in advance, it doesn't explain the one-sided arrangements.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: