Talk

Advanced search

A question to you.

(15 Posts)
livinginaparadise Wed 29-Jun-11 16:31:03

My husband said he is happy to give his family financial support. But I have never seen anyone who gives their parents or family financial support in the UK when they become adults.

Have you?

childfreeatm Wed 29-Jun-11 16:36:00

Surely it's the least you can do though? Considering?

MamaMary Wed 29-Jun-11 16:37:02

Yes, if they need it.

GypsyMoth Wed 29-Jun-11 16:37:13

Eh??

More info needed

OracleInaCoracle Wed 29-Jun-11 16:37:18

no, why should i?

MaryBS Wed 29-Jun-11 16:37:25

Yes, regularly. He should still take your wishes into consideration though.

maypole1 Wed 29-Jun-11 16:38:01

Anglo asians do it all the time

also this is very common with travellers ect i don't think this is odd rather sweet as long as you can afford it

celticlassie Wed 29-Jun-11 16:38:10

I'd like to think that when my parents retire I'll be in the position to put something in their bank account every month. They've never been well off but are likely to be far worse off in retirement. It's payback for all the years they supported me through uni, etc,

simbo Wed 29-Jun-11 16:39:20

His first loyalty as a married man is to you and any children you may have. It is not ok to support extended family if this leaves you short. You do not say whether he belongs to any ethnic group for whom supporting of parents is the norm.

strandedbear Wed 29-Jun-11 16:39:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mnistooaddictive Wed 29-Jun-11 16:42:23

We have supported mil on the past when she has needed it. I don't think it is that rare!

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 29-Jun-11 16:46:47

Yabu

OracleInaCoracle Wed 29-Jun-11 16:49:48

bibbity, you stole the words from my mouth... why is this in AIBU?

childfreeatm Wed 29-Jun-11 16:49:49

lissie "no, why should i?"

If it's your parents and you are financially able, if they have supported you throughout your life then that's a reason why.

Of course I understand if this is not the case why you would not want to.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 29-Jun-11 16:53:41

but i wouldnt expect ds to support us. I dont see feeding, clothing, housing him as a loan.

I would help them out if they needed it, but certainly not support them. they are adults and have made the financial decisions themselves that led them to this point, just as I wouldnt expect them to support me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now