Talk

Advanced search

to feel pissed off that my DC wont listen to me arghhhh

(37 Posts)
M0naLisa Wed 29-Jun-11 11:29:57

I am fucking sick and tired of saying no, give up, stop it, calm down for them to look at me like I'm speaking a different language!!!
I am sick of my eldest (4 nearly 5) running and jumping on my sofa, how many times a fucking day can I tell him its not a bouncing castle!!!

So wibu to ban them from my living room???

Also when I leave the room they think its acceptable to go in the cupbaord and eat sprinkles - you know the ones you put on cakes and buns. I am sick of getting the hoover out!!!!

GypsyMoth Wed 29-Jun-11 11:34:46

so how do you actually discipline them?

M0naLisa Wed 29-Jun-11 11:36:23

Naughty step, sent to bedroom, told off. if they do it 3 times they go to bed but its every day that he is being told about it.

M0naLisa Wed 29-Jun-11 11:36:23

Naughty step, sent to bedroom, told off. if they do it 3 times they go to bed but its every day that he is being told about it.

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 11:36:24

You need to step up the punishments.

There really is not point in telling him the sofa is not a bouncy castle, if there are no consequences to him bouncing on it.

The same goes for taking food without asking. If the punishments don't work, perhaps a cupboard lock?

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 11:37:32

Oh cross posted!

Sounds like you need to change punishments so they really have an effect.

GypsyMoth Wed 29-Jun-11 11:38:18

well its not effective now....has it ever been,did they used to listen to you and behave and respond to this discipline?

tazmin Wed 29-Jun-11 11:38:49

pick your battles

dont moan about the small stuff or else they just get accustomed to being told no constantly and tune out

M0naLisa Wed 29-Jun-11 11:40:36

I'm just a very bad mood today think I need to go back and get out of the right side sad

TheProvincialLady Wed 29-Jun-11 11:44:31

WRT sprinkles - don't get the hoover out repeatedly. Throw the sprikles away and don't replace them.

itisnearlysummer Wed 29-Jun-11 11:44:55

What tazmin said.

What worra said.

We do supernanny style timeouts with DD. I know, I know, but we've done it 3 times in nearly 5 years.

I overheard DS saying to his friend when he was 5. "My mum said we can have chocolate if we eat all our dinner and she never lies." Because his friend had decided to call my bluff as his mum issued these threats and then let him have the chocolate anyway.

Explain what is not acceptable and why. Explain what will happen if they do it. Give them 2 warnings and then a sanction. Give them a chance to make the right choice.

itisnearlysummer Wed 29-Jun-11 11:45:46

"If you take the sprinkles out of the cupboard one more time I will throw them away".

Then if they do it, do it.

They will soon learn.

Fennel Wed 29-Jun-11 11:46:03

Also, you can get a nearly 5yo to hoover up the mess, or sweep it up themselves.

itisnearlysummer Wed 29-Jun-11 12:02:56

Oh and this one works a treat if they have their hands on something that you want returned but fear some resistance.

"Oh, thank you! sweetheart, you've found mummy's XXX. I've been looking for that. Ooh aren't you a good girl. Well done!"

First time I did that, my DD smiled and handed it over. I could see the "you're a crazy mummy, I was about to get up to monkey business with that!" look in her eye. But the praise worked!

I think she's wise to it now, but it still works because otherwise she has to admit that she isn't the very good little girl and was actually going to be quite naughty!

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 12:08:45

Actually I've just remembered how I used to deal with the sofa bouncing!

I told them if they didn't respect it, they wouldn't be allowed to sit on it...and that if they carried on, they'd be made to sit on the floor.

I had to carry it through with my youngest cos he was quite stubborn..but after a couple of hours of a numb bum...he soon learnt I meant business grin

portaloo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:18:50

I feel your frustration OP. DD is almost 3 and will jump and bounce on my sofa, my bed, her bed, even bounces in the bath.
She is consistently told No and put on the step for 2 minutes, which she apparently hates, since she cries and cries the whole 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, I explain in simple terms again that she is not to jump on the sofa. She agrees not to.
She walks straight back into the frontroom and jumps on the sofa again. confused
I understand DC of this age have short memories, but FGS, to do it again straightaway???? confused
This is not the only thing she repeatedly does despite being told off for it over and over, and she gets lots of good attention when she is good, so I am also at a loss. sad
OTOH, she is very good at nursery. confused

M0naLisa Wed 29-Jun-11 12:20:41

Dh is home this week from work and he hasa told them that they won't be getting treats (payday tomorrow normally buy them a new toy) plus they get to watch an hour of tv in bed which has just been revoked.

portaloo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:20:45

BTW, DD has been like this since she learnt to jump in a Fisher Price Jumperoo. sad
Now, she bounces constantly, even bounces sitting.
Bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce.

Fennel Wed 29-Jun-11 12:21:05

When my dc were little we used to have a designated old mattress that they could go and bounce on, if they had the urge, to stop them bouncing on the other places. Is there somewhere they CAN bounce? It's easier then to be firm about banning the sofa.

M0naLisa Wed 29-Jun-11 12:22:30

Yes both boys good nursery just not at home.

M0naLisa Wed 29-Jun-11 12:22:30

Yes both boys good nursery just not at home.

portaloo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:24:13

DD has a trampoline in the garden which she is directed to when she bounces, but it doesn't reduce the time she bounces on everything else.
Tbh, I don't think she can exist without bloody bouncing. It drives me nuts. (That and the chanting that accompanies the bouncing drives me mad, not to mention the bloody headbanging) Seems DD wants any sort of rhythm. sad

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 12:28:15

portaloo have you checked your DD for fur and stripes? grin

<Hums the wonderful thing about Tigger...etc>

mrsruffallo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:31:09

I don't understand what's wrong with jumping on the sofa myself.
Wjat's that all about?

worraliberty Wed 29-Jun-11 12:32:29

Because the sofa then becomes damaged/broken and the rest of the family have to suffer it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now