Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you know if i can take plastic or wooden knitting needles on a plane?

(17 Posts)
knittedbreast Wed 29-Jun-11 11:28:31

Im flying soon and i want to take my knitting to knit in the evenings. im not taking holding luggage its all carrier bags (the ones above your head or your hand bag etc)

im flying from luton on..gulp...ryan air (please can nobody say anything bad about ryan air, i didnt book it my other half did, any awful comments and i just wont go i worried enough)

Can i take my knitting needles? obv il leave the shiny metal eye stabbing ones at home but plastic or wood?

any experiences?

Thanks

Glitterknickaz Wed 29-Jun-11 11:56:24

I took bamboo dpns on a ryanair flight Gatwick/Dublin, but made sure I had dental floss to put my work on in case security didn't like them.
It was fine.

MonkeyJungleConga Wed 29-Jun-11 12:01:07

I asked the same question a while back about the small wooden needles for a French hitting kit. General advice was no, although one person had had no problems bringing a sewing kit complete with scissors into the plane!

HyenaInPetticoats Wed 29-Jun-11 12:06:06

I fly a lot and knit between reading in airports and on the plane. Never had any trouble with wooden/plastic needles, though I always put them at the bottom of the bag for security checks and hope they look like pens on the x-ray. Blunt tapestry needles also seem to be OK as long as you don't go around telling people they're there.

sayanythingRogerjustrogerme Wed 29-Jun-11 12:06:35

The Luton website says no to knitting needles, doesn't specify which type.

So, maybe don't risk it.

HyenaInPetticoats Wed 29-Jun-11 12:13:43

I just don't see how they could tell plastic or wooden ones were there unless you have to empty your bag. As I say, I do it all the time. (Though taking something so you save your work if it doesn't work is obviously sensible, and you can almost certainly then buy more needles at your destination).

Glitterknickaz Wed 29-Jun-11 12:18:02

Must admit the bamboo needles I took were free gift ones, I wouldn't have taken expensive needles.

Boozilla Wed 29-Jun-11 12:19:04

I've taken them a few times (bamboo) and they were never a problem.

suzikettles Wed 29-Jun-11 12:31:38

My recent experience suggests it's all a bit hit or miss and depends on what they pick up on the xray screen.

I suspect that if you showed your knitting needles at the security check they'd make you put them in the bin.

However, I inadvertently took a pair of nail scissors through security on two flights and wasn't stopped, but was stopped and they were confiscated on the first of the two leg flight home.

If you aren't worried about losing them, then put them at the bottom of your bag and hope for the best I guess. Won't make any difference that it's with Ryanair or not because obv it's security that will make the decision (or notice or not).

BartletForAmerica Wed 29-Jun-11 12:45:21

The Luton website is not an official one so I think it is out of date.

The Government says they are fine as hand luggage:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176922

BartletForAmerica Wed 29-Jun-11 12:46:00

Nail scissors with blades less than 6cm are also fine now.

knittedbreast Wed 29-Jun-11 12:51:17

thanks,

will someone personally look through my hand bag? or will it just be scanned?

if someone looks in my hand bag and sees wool presumably they will think oh shes got knitting needles on her better have a look?

may be i could stick rubbers on the end of them?

suzikettles Wed 29-Jun-11 12:53:42

They'll only look in your bag if something on the xray looks worth checking up on.

And yes, I saw the sign about blade length on the way out - but it cut no ice at Nice airport, so I guess it might depend whether you're on external or internal flights.

HyenaInPetticoats Wed 29-Jun-11 13:17:41

Honestly, I fly at least once a month for work, always have some knitting, have done for years, never had a problem. I just tuck it at the bottom of my briefcase.

mumeeee Wed 29-Jun-11 15:43:11

You are not allowed to take any knitting needles on a plane. Also you can only take one hand luggage bag not lots if carrier bags and a handbag. Some airlines will let you take a handbag as well as the other hand luggage bag but.most don't so you will need to contact your airline about that. I always put my handbag into my hand luggage bag.

knittedbreast Wed 29-Jun-11 16:27:57

we are allowed one bag each up to 10k each.

I think i will chance it anyway. i can always give them up

BartletForAmerica Wed 29-Jun-11 16:43:50

You ARE allowed to take knitting needles on a plane.

Here's the proof (again) hmm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176922

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now