Talk

Advanced search

To be outraged with the government and MOD

(22 Posts)
GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 20:18:55

Repatriations of our War Dead are going to be sneaked out of a side gate at RAF Brize Norton and taken along an unpopulated route to the coroners in Oxford when Lyneham loses the 'contract'

AIBU to think the government should allow the British public to show their support for the Fallen (even if they don't agree with the politics)?

Grabaspoon Tue 28-Jun-11 20:20:14

YANBU - sure there will be a petition soon enough and I for one will have my signature on it.

meditrina Tue 28-Jun-11 20:25:19

Lyneham isn't losing a "contract" - it's being closed to all flights as a cost cutting measure (announced back in 2003, so hardly unexpected).

Prior to 2007, all repatriations were through Brize Norton anyhow.

meditrina Tue 28-Jun-11 20:27:24

This article says that there has yet to be a decision made about the route away from Brize.

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 20:27:37

meditrina I know that, was in the RAF at Lyneham myself, was trying to use 'civvy' friendly wording.

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 20:28:26

AND, my office at Brize was above where the families sat for repats.

Callisto Tue 28-Jun-11 20:29:27

As Meditrina says, it has been common knowlege for some time that Lyneham is being mothballed and Brize is taking over. I doubt very much that any 'side gates' will be used and I'm sure that the folks of Carterton will be very happy to honour any dead coming through the town. And you obviously don't know the area very well if you think the route between Carterton and Oxford is unpopulated.

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 20:32:18

I know the area very well having lived there until 2 years ago. Right out of the main gate takes you to a roundabout where you turn left to get on the A40 to Oxford, no town centres are encountered.

oldraver Tue 28-Jun-11 20:34:29

This has been going on for a while. The council in consultation with the MOD have decided on the route. They have tested the route with a hearse to see if its viable and have voted this route in. No one is sure if they will have a ban on cars parking in Brize village or remove the square traffic calming things that seem to cause havoc in the village the rest of the time.hmm

I also think it an absolute insult to the military town of Carterton of whom a large proportion are or ex RAF personnel. It is said a route through Carterton would interfere with the Thursday market, well I'm sure it could easily be moved.

I think it fair to say that within Oxfordshire there is some snobishness about Carterton as it isnt a quaint little Cotswoldy village/town like the rest of the surrounding area. I'm sure Brize Norton will look better on the tv hmm. I rewally think the council are so out of touch with the people in the area. The town of Carterton is inextricably linked with RAF Brize Norton and the town would welcome the repatriations. It hasnt happened when they were previuosly at Brize as they went out the 'Main Gate' which is away from the town. they would be better going out of No1 gate and through the town then onto the A40. Traditionally the surrounding villages havent been too enamoured with Brize

oldraver Tue 28-Jun-11 20:38:49

Callisto. The OP is correct. The repatriations will go out of not even a 'side' gate but an emergency gate that will now be used for this purpose only. Its right at the back of the airfield next to the end of the runway on the way out of Brize on the Bampton Rd (if you know the area)

Shoesytwoesy Tue 28-Jun-11 20:39:27

yanbu bloody disgusting

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 20:42:36

oldraver I agree completely with your post. Sneaking them out seems totally disrespectful and I am sure the majority of Carterton would want to pay their respects.

I have seen a lot of repats through my office window, and work STOPPED as coffins came off aircraft and were loaded into hearses.

Callisto Tue 28-Jun-11 20:43:22

Ah, I always thought the main gate into Brize was through the town centre of Carterton. I do apologise.

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 20:46:34

The back gate at Brize takes you to the town centre (Black Bourton Road) But as Calisto has said, they are using an isolated gate.

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 20:47:16

Sorry that should say oldraver durr

oldraver Tue 28-Jun-11 20:47:37

witney gazette

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 20:51:40

oldraver FFS it's a crappy weekly market, let's balance it out...crappy market vs dead soldier/sailor/airman who died in the service of their country...????????????????????

oldraver Tue 28-Jun-11 20:55:00

Details of the Memorial Garden have been released. Its on a stretch of road inbetween a petrol station and the industrial park... very fitting

And yes I have also moaned to the council

oldraver Tue 28-Jun-11 20:58:57

If they really wanted to keep the market they could move it round the corner to Alvescot Road and still leave Black Bourton Road for the repatriations (or even move the mtarket back to the er.... market ground). Frankly I dont think we would miss the market.

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 21:00:15

Oh yes very suitable! As a former resident of Brize and Lyneham I have to say 'Well done Royal Wootton Bassett'

GingerWrath Tue 28-Jun-11 21:01:38

Exactly oldraver market used to be behind the Beehive!

oldraver Tue 28-Jun-11 21:04:47

Yes they did a good job but we must also remember that all along the route people gather to pay respects, there are some British Legion guys who gather just beyond the Buckland turn on the A420 and there are always people on th way to the JR

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now