Talk

Advanced search

to start saving for my wedding

(13 Posts)
strandedbear Tue 28-Jun-11 19:52:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

babybarrister Tue 28-Jun-11 19:54:37

well at least you have a partner - I thought you might just be saving anyway grin

AgentZigzag Tue 28-Jun-11 20:05:45

Sounds like a good idea, I like it that you've just included you and your DD in your holiday if he doesn't ask grin

How long have you known each other? Have you given him a timescale in your head, say if you get to £50000 he's out the door? grin

AgentZigzag Tue 28-Jun-11 20:06:45

A quick tap on my calculator says that gives him about 48 years, you might be in there then wink

cruelladepoppins Tue 28-Jun-11 20:12:42

YANBU at all.

Just a thought, depnednet on your financial circumstances. Can you set up a savings account for it and gain interest? You would need to have a regular way of getting the money into your account - say direct debit from your current a/c? Because if you are anything like me, trailing to the bank every week just will not happen!

If he finds out, will you say it's your "running away" fund? wink

Rockerchic Tue 28-Jun-11 20:18:01

Weddings can be cheap you know unless you want the big wedding that is.

strandedbear Tue 28-Jun-11 20:20:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LolaRennt Tue 28-Jun-11 20:25:31

saving for a wedding used to be the norm, can't see why you shouldn't

cruelladepoppins Tue 28-Jun-11 20:36:24

I'd be worried about it going missing - not your DP or anything - say you were burgled? You could use the jar but deposit what you've saved up in the bank from time to time. Also a jar with £5 - 6 K in it will look suspicious - £60/70 quid not so much ...!

Pandemoniaa Tue 28-Jun-11 20:57:16

A friend of mine got married last week. She'd waited 23 years from engagement to wedding day. If your dp takes as much time as her fiance, you could have the most spectacular wedding ever. And a 5 bedroomed house in the Home Counties.

Or you could, of course, live for the day and worry about the wedding when it becomes any sort of reality.

cruelladepoppins Tue 28-Jun-11 21:35:02

On the other hand, I got married 6 weeks after we decided to "do the deed"!

My mother paid for my wedding dress and my parents paid for the band. DH's parents decorated the hall with flowers/ fabric and did the photos and the cake. My choir did the music for the ceremony for free, as a gift.

DH and I paid for the reception - same place as the wedding. Sit-down meal - but they had to Q up for it (school dinners!) to save on waiting staff. Wine with the meal but otherwise a paying bar. No separate evening event so no extras. No bridesmaids/ best man. No bridal cars.

Cheapo honeymoon involving arriving in Delhi with nowhere to stay [not recommended!]

No saving involved. wink But I still think YANBU to want to save.

cruelladepoppins Tue 28-Jun-11 21:36:26

Ooh, just remembered - two friends got married in a humanist ceremony last year. In a church hall. They provided a buffet. BYOB. We all had a great time.

cookielove Tue 28-Jun-11 21:40:44

We are saving for our wedding, we do have a date though, but agree with everyone else about saving before hand, i wish we had now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now