Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to refuse to serve ds1 friend a bacon roll with tomatoe sauce?

(77 Posts)
creamola Tue 28-Jun-11 18:13:24

It is my humble opinion that some foods only go with certain sauces

So making bacon rolls for ds's friends (teenagers) I refused to serve a bacon roll with tomatoe sauce to one of them as it gives me the willies...

I can happily make and serve bacon rolls with brown sauce or even barbeque sauce, but tomatoe sauce is a major no no.

I have said the friend may enter the kitchen and put his tomatoe sauce on but I refuse to do it (mainly because the thought of it makes my skin crawl)

Is it reasonable to refuse a food request based soley on the fact the requested combination makes you be a little bit sick in your mouth at the thought of it?

I also turned down this friends request for a ham and tomatoe sauce sandwich last summer, saying he could have it with pickle, salad cream or mayo but no way was I putting tomatoe sauce on ham.

(he may think I'm nuts )

activate Tue 28-Jun-11 18:14:26

that's because you're nuts

GreenEyesandHam Tue 28-Jun-11 18:14:30

Tomato

Sorry

GrimmaTheNome Tue 28-Jun-11 18:14:54

YANBU. Tomato sauce is perfect in a bacon sandwich. It'd be weird with ham, you're right about that one.

MissPenteuth Tue 28-Jun-11 18:15:06

YABU. And nuts. HTH smile

worraliberty Tue 28-Jun-11 18:15:21

<Resists telling op it's tomato sauce.

I don't know, if it was me I'd just squirt it on without giving it a second thought.

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 28-Jun-11 18:15:22

Yup sorry, you're nuts smile

Barbecue sauce on a bacon roll... <shakes head>

GrimmaTheNome Tue 28-Jun-11 18:16:10

Um, and the easy solution with any child let alone a hulking teenager is to let him put his own sauce in the sandwich, FGS!

icooksocks Tue 28-Jun-11 18:16:54

YABU whats wrong withtomato sauce on a bacon butty?

MilyP Tue 28-Jun-11 18:18:26

Yep, fully mad. And will only get worse as you get older. I wonder what other mental stuff you do though. Do tell.....

creamola Tue 28-Jun-11 18:18:37

you spell it tomato I spell it tomatoe smile

but's that's because I can't spell

Choufleur Tue 28-Jun-11 18:18:44

YABU and nuts. Brown sauce is vile!

Pesha Tue 28-Jun-11 18:19:05

Ahh but if you put cheese in with the tomato sauce and ham then it becomes yummy!

XP used to eat leftover roast chicken sandwiches with tomato ketchup, I scoffed until I actually tried it - yummy again!

And bacon sarnies only work with tomato sauce.

Tigerbomb Tue 28-Jun-11 18:19:24

YABU and saucist

If it was a bacon and egg roll then, yes, brown sauce is a perfect accompaniment

I hate tomato sauce but even I fully recognise the need for tommy sauce on a bacon roll/butty/bap

tinkertitonk Tue 28-Jun-11 18:19:53

YAB insane. But you knew that. More to the point, you're being inhospitable.

fatlazymummy Tue 28-Jun-11 18:19:54

Never heard this one before. Do you have a ketchup phobia? My son has tomato sauce in bacon butties and also in ham sandwiches. In fact he has it on just about everything savoury.

HumperdinkFangboner Tue 28-Jun-11 18:20:03

BBQ sauce on a bacon butty? Are you mad?!

GreenEyesandHam Tue 28-Jun-11 18:20:26

you spell it tomato I spell it tomato

Let's call the whole thing off grin

PlentyOfPrimroses Tue 28-Jun-11 18:20:36

YABU! Bacon should be served with no sauce - nothing should be allowed to interfere with the wonderful baconiness of bacon (although a lettuce leaf and a couple of slices of tomato are just about acceptable, if you absolutely must )

GreenEyesandHam Tue 28-Jun-11 18:21:32

Ha ha I missed off the e. That's how well I spell!

ViolaTricolor Tue 28-Jun-11 18:21:37

If 'tomatoe' sauce is made of toes, then YANBU. Otherwise YAB mad.

Mrsfluff Tue 28-Jun-11 18:22:24

Sorry, but I think that is very nuts - ketchup is perfect for bacon sandwiches! I am a tad biased though, as I have it on nearly all my meals blush

Fifis25StottieCakes Tue 28-Jun-11 18:23:08

Tomato sauce is boak, HP fruity sauce is lush smile

Haudyerwheesht Tue 28-Jun-11 18:23:20

I don't have a problem with tomato sauce but yanbu because if I were ever asked to serve something like tinned peaches for example with ice cream or anything where the juice and liquidy stuff intermingle and curdle I would vomit on the table.

Pesha Tue 28-Jun-11 18:23:38

Oh but actually you are not BU if you don't want to make a teenager something that disgusts you, he is quite capable of making it himself.

I refuse to do any cooking/food prep with onions because I can't stand them. If dc or dp want to eat onions they can do it themselves and then keep the hell away from me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now