Talk

Advanced search

to hand in my notice

(14 Posts)
NewbeeMummy Tue 28-Jun-11 15:06:40

Have posted this is Employment issues. But as my meeting is tomorrow I thought I would post it hear as there is a lot more traffic.

"I have posted other threads about my issues at work, and it's all come to a head recently where a colleague has blantantly lied about something (I have evidence to prove this) and as a result I have to attend a disciplinary hearing. Now I know I am going to win this hearing but this emeting will sit on my staff record, even if I am found to be in the right.

I have recently been looking for other jobs and have verbally been offered a job, and have been told the written offer was posted yesterday. I had been debating whether or not to accept it because aside from my direct team I actually love my job and the rest of the people in the company

I am now fed up to the back teeth with the current place, and have tried for the last year and a bit to make it work, but it is obvious I cannot make my boss happy.

Do I risk it and hand my notice in at this meeting tomorrow, or do I keep my mouth shut and wait for the written offer to arrive before doing so?"

Any advice is really appreciated

thanks

mistlethrush Tue 28-Jun-11 15:08:07

wait for written confirmation - sorry!

harecare Tue 28-Jun-11 15:09:16

Just wait. It won't be long.

scurryfunge Tue 28-Jun-11 15:11:05

You must wait for the written offer or you may end up with nothing. It is a big risk just for the satisfaction of telling them to stick their job. I would wait to be vindicated at the meeting and then once the other offer is there, hand in your notice. I would also pursue the matter of the lie if you can prove it.

niceguy2 Tue 28-Jun-11 15:11:08

wait....handing in your notice now is premature. There could be something in the offer you dislike or it could be not what you thought.

You can still have your moment, just in a day or two.

LineRunner Tue 28-Jun-11 15:11:38

I would hedge my bets.

You owe your current boss nothing.

The fact that the meeting is due to take place tomorrow will be noted down somewhere in your file I presume (otherwise I'd suggest you ring in sck in the morning) so you may as well go in and fight your corner, and tell your employer that you don't want any nonsense on your file other than their apology; and wait for the other job offer to come through.

Also at your meeting tomorrow you can tell your employer exactly what your problems are, and how they affecting your productivity.

Good luck.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Tue 28-Jun-11 15:12:37

Firstly wait for the written confirmation before handing notice in.

Also, if the allegation against you is totally unjustified and if procedures have not been followed properly insist that this episode is not held on your file. If you have evidence to prove your innocence then it should not have come this far. Have you checked your staff handbook for the disciplinary process, and have your company followed this? Have you sought advice from Acas?

NewbeeMummy Tue 28-Jun-11 15:12:59

I was afriad you would say that, and the sensible side of me says to wait, but I'm just so fed up with the discrimination and poor treatment I have had to endure over the last year, and even though I have complained nothing gets done about it.

And now this on top of everything else, I'm worried that this will show on my reference letter even if I get proven that I am in the right.

scurryfunge Tue 28-Jun-11 15:14:40

It won't show on your reference. References these days merely confirm that you worked there with the dates. Don't worry.

NewbeeMummy Tue 28-Jun-11 15:18:13

I have checked the staff handbook and they have pretty much followed it to the letter.

I have asked them if they are able to provide me with the evidence that has caused them to make this complaint against me, but have been told I have to wait until the meeting tomorrow. Thankfully my manager slipped up when they informed me of the meeting, otheriwse I would have no idea what it is about and not have been able to gather proof of my innocence.

The one thing that is bothering me is that according to our HR woman, even if I am cleared this meeting will stay on my employment record.

NewbeeMummy Tue 28-Jun-11 15:19:24

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the fast responses - anyone fancy doing a "hurry up post" dance with me?

No?

Just me then smile

LineRunner Tue 28-Jun-11 15:33:25

Christ, who do you work for? They won't show you evidence in advance of the meeting??

Also, references are these days very very carefully written, since a defamation case (won by the employee, I hasten to add.)

risingstar Tue 28-Jun-11 15:40:23

as the dates are so close i would wait.

i would however, point out to the meeting that you are the victim of a malicious allegation and wish to formally raise a greivance against the person you suspect of making it.

that will a) get them scurrying and
b) if they really keep such things on permanent it will be on his or hers.

put it all back in their court and watch them squirm!

NewbeeMummy Tue 28-Jun-11 15:56:11

@ RisingStar - I have considered that, but part of me thinks can I be bothered, but I don't want any other new female recruits to have go through what I have so I think I will definitely putting in a formal compliant about this individual, as I have made informal complaints about this person before, and I know other female members have as well, one of which has actually provided me with a witness statement for my meeting tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now