Talk

Advanced search

to think there should be a special day when everyone HAS to take children to work with them?

(68 Posts)
SybilBeddows Tue 28-Jun-11 13:13:57

No exceptions.

Surgeons will have to operate with a small child hanging off their gown whining 'Daddeee! Daddeeee!'

Stockbrokers will have to conclude multimillion pound deals while spinning a child round and round with one hand on the office chair next to their desk.

Academics will have to pontificate about string theory at seminars while holding a baby on their lap who is trying to crawl onto the table.

Policemen and women will have to chase criminals with two kids alternately fighting in the back and demanding to listen to Nellie The Elephant.

What will be particularly satisfying is that the particular kind of misogynistic childhater who thinks children are a lifestyle choice and SAHMs are parasites, will cope worst of all, compared to the hands-on parents.

There may be a few deaths but it will be worth it in the long term. AIBU?

TandB Tue 28-Jun-11 13:20:40

I'm in.

DS is going through a "no" phase so would be particularly helpful in the middle of a difficult bail application.

Me: Your Honour, can I ask you to consider my submissions on bail
DS: No. Nononononononnoooooooo!
Judge: Thank you Miss Pannda, I think I prefer your son's submissions. bail refused.

As a sahm I absolutely agree with you. I would love it if DH had to take them both to work with him.

SybilBeddows Tue 28-Jun-11 13:22:39

the judge will also have kids with him/her Kungfu, I don't know what difference that will make?

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 28-Jun-11 13:22:50

I'm not utterly convinced that my 3 year old has the right level of empathy and understanding to deal with suicidal clients tbh.
I'm a mental health nurse.
In fact, when I worked last Christmas both children were convinced that it was to go and help incredibly poorly people to open their presents. (if only grin)

garlicnutter Tue 28-Jun-11 13:24:45

YANBU, it's a great idea!

What about scaffolders, sewage workers and soldiers on active service??

mistressploppy Tue 28-Jun-11 13:25:08

Brilliant notion <starts planning what to do with her free day>

SybilBeddows Tue 28-Jun-11 13:25:46

interested 10 year old in cockpit of fighter plane: 'What does this button do?'

TrilllianAstra Tue 28-Jun-11 13:26:40

Sounds like an utterly shit idea to me.

If you're proposing a thread on how funny children would be in a sitcom version of "take your children to work day" then fair enough, that's a fun idea for a silly thread.

Your comments on misogynistic childhaters sound a little out of place in that context though.

garlicnutter Tue 28-Jun-11 13:26:41

grin Sybil!

strandedbear Tue 28-Jun-11 13:26:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 28-Jun-11 13:27:03

garlic most little dcs are obsessed with poo. They would love a day out at the sewage works!

SybilBeddows Tue 28-Jun-11 13:27:29

tbh Garlicnutter I don't see a problem with the scaffolders, the kids will love it, they just have to be clipped on securely with a clip too stiff for little fingers to unscrew.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 28-Jun-11 13:28:05

re the scaffolding. Parents who were formerly "anti-reins" might quickly change their tune! grin

Funtimewincies Tue 28-Jun-11 13:28:25

Our ds' (4 years and 18 months) would LOVE to play with Daddy's expensive and highly callibrated machine grin. I also can't see any reputable scientific journal having a problem with a paper submitted covered in crayon diagrams either.

dyzzidi Tue 28-Jun-11 13:28:36

I would love to see my DD in work with both me and her dad. I think she would prefer to go with dad who works on a Oil Rig so she would go to work in a helicopter!

TrilllianAstra Tue 28-Jun-11 13:29:17

What will be particularly satisfying is that the particular kind of misogynistic childhater who thinks children are a lifestyle choice and SAHMs are parasites, will cope worst of all, compared to the hands-on parents.

Who would cope worst of all is:
parents who have demanding jobs that are not child-friendly
parents who have large numbers of children
parents who do not usually look after their children alone

Misogynistic childhaters will simply have their belief that children are disruptive to adult life confirmed.

ruddynorah Tue 28-Jun-11 13:29:48

God no. Where I am there'd be more kids than adults.

SybilBeddows Tue 28-Jun-11 13:31:09

note I said everyone has to take children, not their children to work.
So having large numbers of children is neither here nor there.

garlicnutter Tue 28-Jun-11 13:32:04

Trillian, the OP also said There may be a few deaths but it will be worth it in the long term. AIBU?

So possibly not being presented as a fully-fledged parenting proposal wink

TrilllianAstra Tue 28-Jun-11 13:32:50

Given that most MNers won't leave their children with anyone but grandparents (and sometimes not even them) I can't imagine anyone volunteering their children for "take a random child to work day" for someone who didn't have kids of their own.

wordfactory Tue 28-Jun-11 13:33:47

But surely OP, if you want people to understand what SAHPs do...then you have to ask theose people to ...er...well...stay at home.
SAHPs don't attempt their 'job' with kids. Why should anyone else benefit from having to?

BooyHoo Tue 28-Jun-11 13:34:36

i think a some people are taking this thread far more seriously than it was intended. is it a full moon?

TrilllianAstra Tue 28-Jun-11 13:36:06

It's just that one paragraph that seemed a bit overly serious and out of kilter.

garlicnutter Tue 28-Jun-11 13:37:02

Ooh, I missed that bit, Sybil! So if you're reeeeeally fed up with your offspring, you can arrange for them to go deep-sea diving with a pipeline mender ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now