Talk

Advanced search

Do the teachers really get 13 weeks hols a year?

(191 Posts)
GabbyLoggon Tue 28-Jun-11 12:53:41

I only ask the questions

GabbyLoggon Tue 28-Jun-11 12:54:24

Its hardly an unreasonable question

clemetteattlee Tue 28-Jun-11 12:57:32

Classroom teachers are employed for 1265 hours a year.
Management has no limit on their hours.

Sewmuchtodo Tue 28-Jun-11 12:58:54

Gosh, you don't give a lot of time to reply!

They do get that on an 'official' basis, but they also need to prep, prepare class room, often take a school trip and in my DH's case run revision classes every Saturday in the lead up to exams (6 weeks, twice a year).

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 28-Jun-11 13:01:34

YABU/YANBU <delete as applicable>

I don't think teachers get 13 weeks holiday a year as such.

I think they get paid for what is it? 39? 40? not sure, weeks a year. They are not paid for school holidays.

So their annual wage for these - 39? weeks is simply divided by 12 to give a monthly salary instead of having a few unpaid months.

I think I remember my dad (maths teacher) telling me that's how it works

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 28-Jun-11 13:02:23

Oh, he was agency though, so I don't know if that's different.

spacester Tue 28-Jun-11 13:05:41

My MIL is a teacher. Of her 6 week summer holiday, she has to spend around 3 weeks organising the classroom and preparing for lessons, although this is flexible. Some of the less conscientious teachers do far less....

Euphemia Tue 28-Jun-11 13:06:06

I wonder, as always, what Gabby's point is. hmm

I think you will find it's the CHILDREN who get 13 weeks' holiday. Schools are set up for the benefit of the CHILDREN. That people who work in schools get the same (in fact, fewer days) holidays as the CHILDREN is purely coincidental.

YABU. Probably. grin

GabbyLoggon Tue 28-Jun-11 13:08:04

Its whats on the contract which tells the story

Sewmuchtodo Tue 28-Jun-11 13:08:54

Are you considering a career change or simply being nosy?

roundtable Tue 28-Jun-11 13:12:53

Yes, they go on long cruises, get their nails done and pick out things to spend their outrageously large pension on.

When they get back from all this frivolity, the magical pixies have moved teachers classrooms, put up displays, labelled books, marked, planned long term, medium term and short term plans, written letters, completed other various paperwork and made resources...hmm

cakeandcustard Tue 28-Jun-11 13:13:57

YABU The kids get 13 weeks holiday a year. We were once quoted that for every hour you spend in the classroom you should spend an hour planning and prep and another hour marking, assessing and reflecting. Plus meetings, discipline etc meant I regularly worked a 60 hour week during term time when teaching.

I did the calculations and without teachers holidays I was earning approximately £3.50 per/hour in a graduate profession. The holidays are one of the few things that make a stressful and very demanding job doable. And yes, teachers work in the holidays too.

Sewmuchtodo Tue 28-Jun-11 13:15:21

Exactly roundtable! Not forgetting they have interviewed all the sixth formers applying for places and sorted out the timetables!

clemetteattlee Tue 28-Jun-11 13:16:45

I was a teacher, I did more hours than I was contracted to.
I am going to be a doctor - I will have to do more hours than I am contracted to.
In fact I don't know many professional people who only work their contracted hours.

TotemPole Tue 28-Jun-11 13:17:42

1265 divided by 39 is 32. So they are ony paid for 39 weeks @ 32 hours? Is that right? So is any work they do in the holidays or after 4pm in effect unpaid?

SybilBeddows Tue 28-Jun-11 13:19:15

my mother was a teacher and she did a lot of work in the holidays and that was back when pointless (and useful, to be fair) paperwork had mostly not been invented.

beanlet Tue 28-Jun-11 13:23:07

Every teacher I know (including both my parents) works at least an extra 2 hours the night before, five days a week, and they work at least an 8 hour day as well. If you add up all the extra hours, it works out that they only get the equivalent of about 4 weeks' holiday a year, if that, so YABU.

Student time in classroom DOES NOT equal teacher's working hours, not by a very long shot.

But it's GabbyL...hardly a surprise.

GabbyLoggon Tue 28-Jun-11 13:23:47

WHO PAYS YOUR Wages sevemuch?On this subject i am being told things here that I have not been told before. 39 wks pay then its up to the teacher. What sort of a friggin contrct is thAT?>

jetsetlil Tue 28-Jun-11 13:26:32

4 weeks holiday a year is pretty much the same as everyone else

Sewmuchtodo Tue 28-Jun-11 13:27:53

I take it you are referring to me and simply cant spell or copy and paste.

I PAY MY WAGES, is there anything else you want to know? Your post is a mix of pointless and stupid.

Groovee Tue 28-Jun-11 13:30:17

We get 5 inservice days so realistically the staff only get 12 weeks holiday as they have 5 days in work with no children usually doing training.

TotemPole Tue 28-Jun-11 13:31:50

Whichever way you work it out, the extra hours either eat into the supposed holidays for them or pulls the hourly rate right down. It doesn't sound like a cushy job to me.

Euphemia Tue 28-Jun-11 13:32:18

In Scotland, teachers are contracted to work 35 hours per week: 22.5 hours in the classroom; 2.5 hours for planning and preparation and the rest for collegiate activities, etc. In addition there are 6 or 7 "Inservice" days, when the pupils are on holiday but the teachers are working.

Despite this being set down in a national agreement for the past 10 years, I don't know a single teacher who sticks to working 8-4 or 9-5 and does no other work.

If you doubt that teachers deserve 6/7 weeks off in the summer (during which they will spend some of the time tidying up loose ends from the previous year/getting ready for the next one), try the job yourself.

golemmings Tue 28-Jun-11 13:35:55

Actually I think the thread is neither pointless or stupid if it gets the message out about just how hard teachers work...

When I started work in consultancy working anything up to 50 hour weeks I sat down with a friend who had just started teaching. We figured we probably worked the same annual hours; I was doing fewer hours a week but for more weeks a year.

melikalikimaka Tue 28-Jun-11 13:38:16

I think we are forgetting the hard work the TA's do to help the teacher also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now